TfL cycling promotion

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/press-releases/2005/apr/18th.shtml
>
> TV ads with people riding bicycles in London. Hurrah!

Indeed. But did you notice that every single advert contains people
demonstrating how not to wear a cycle helmet? :-(

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/press-releases/2005/apr/18th.shtml
>>>
>>> TV ads with people riding bicycles in London. Hurrah!

>> Indeed. But did you notice that every single advert contains people
>> demonstrating how not to wear a cycle helmet? :-(

> It just takes one person to mention helmets ...

Indeed: 35% of cyclists wear helmets, 100% do in the videos. Nasty,
insidious brainwashing, which ruins what should have been cycling promotion,
not helmet promotion.

> Indeed: 35% of cyclists wear helmets, 100% do in the videos. Nasty,
> insidious brainwashing, which ruins what should have been cycling
> promotion, not helmet promotion.

What got me was those kids on the BMXs - helmets a very good idea on that
skate park thingy, but no elbow and knee pads. Still, none of them had
limbs in plaster so maybe I'm just getting old and boring.

On 18/4/05 11:20 pm, in article
[email protected], "Mark Thompson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Indeed: 35% of cyclists wear helmets, 100% do in the videos. Nasty,
>> insidious brainwashing, which ruins what should have been cycling
>> promotion, not helmet promotion.

> What got me was those kids on the BMXs - helmets a very good idea on that
> skate park thingy, but no elbow and knee pads. Still, none of them had
> limbs in plaster so maybe I'm just getting old and boring.

The helmets they were wearing are apparently fairly trendy amongst hardcore
BMX-ers and not IMHO a bad thing to be wearing when doing what they were
doing. I was playing spot the location on some of them.

What was quite amusing is the way the helmets magically disappeared as the
two cyclists went into the market on foot.

Nice glossy adverts, despite the helmets. Some positive images of cycling.

...d

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/press-releases/2005/apr/18th.shtml
>
> TV ads with people riding bicycles in London. Hurrah!

Saw one of the ads yesterday. Three good things about it:

1. Timing. Nothing like the summery weather to bring out the cyclist in
someone who might otherwise be a motorist/pedestrian.

2. Lots of young fit people shown in relatively ordinary looking gear.
Nothing as off-putting as showing cycling as some elite-sport that you have
to be all lycra'd up for.

3. Stress on the fun, keep fit aspects of cycling (and thankfully very
little of the environmental argument, which though valid, would have turned
the whole thing into a kind of sermon).

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>> http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles/press-releases/2005/apr/18th.shtml
>>
>> TV ads with people riding bicycles in London. Hurrah!

> Indeed. But did you notice that every single advert contains people
> demonstrating how not to wear a cycle helmet? :-(

Whilst trying to book youth hostels tonight, I've looked through the YHA
handbook. You won't believe this, but every cyclist is wearing a helmet!
What an astonishing coincidence.

Or it could be blatant brainwashing of course. But surely the YHA would
never do that?

Just like the BMA would never bow to the establishment and lie about
helmets.

Much.