Thalidomide for multiple myeloma

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Anth, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Anth

    Anth Guest

    Hi
    Is anyone aware of if there's any evidence that Thalidomide actually extends
    the life of a person with multiple myeloma?
    The reason I'm asking is because there was a programme on TV about this new
    'wonder drug'
    I did a quick google and I couldn't find any randomised double blind trials
    with extension of life in mind.
    Thanks
    Anth
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-01/mc-ttf011003.php

    Tags:

  2. Tsu Dho Nimh

    Tsu Dho Nimh Guest

    "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Is anyone aware of if there's any evidence that Thalidomide actually extends the life of a
    >person with multiple myeloma?

    It's showing promise in clinical trials.

    >The reason I'm asking is because there was a programme on TV about this new 'wonder drug' I did a
    >quick google and I couldn't find any randomised double blind trials with extension of life in mind.

    Use this search string:

    thalidomide "multiple myeloma" "clinical trials"

    Tsu Dho Nimh

    --
    When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking morality
    and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

  3. "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi Is anyone aware of if there's any evidence that Thalidomide actually extends the life of a
    >person with multiple myeloma? The reason I'm asking is because there was a programme on TV about
    >this new 'wonder drug' I did a quick google and I couldn't find any randomised double blind trials
    >with extension of life in mind. Thanks Anth http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-01/mc-
    >ttf011003.php

    It's early days yet. There is some information at
    http://www.myeloma.org/myeloma/article.jsp?type=detail&articleId=90 and you can do a search at
    http://www.myeloma.org/myeloma/home.jsp for more.

    --
    Peter Bowditch
    The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

  4. Anth

    Anth Guest

    I googled 'myeloma thalidomide phase III randomised'

    As I thought, it looks promising but I couldn't find any 'golden standard' studies confirming
    definite extension of life. (The T.V. programme showed the drug in a highly positive light, kind of
    unfair as it may give sufferers false hope with respect to increased survival, but then again alt
    med is unfair in that respect).

    It is clear that the substance and its analogues offer other benefits, such as more options for drug
    resistant myeloma as well as possible extension of life and reduced side effects associated with
    some current cancer treatments.

    The programme quoted that they have been experimenting with the original thalidomide molecule,
    changing atoms here and there, thus minimising the side effects and risks associated with the
    original molecule and enhancing the anti-cancer effects by thousands of times. One analogue showed
    no teratogenic effects, whereas the original thalidomide did. So it should be possible to give to
    pregnant women.

    Time will tell if it extends life or not. Hopefully is will be useful in other cancers also. Anth

    "Tsu Dho Nimh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snips]

    > Use this search string:
    >
    > thalidomide "multiple myeloma" "clinical trials"

    > Tsu Dho Nimh
    > --
    > When businesses invoke the "protection of consumers," it's a lot like politicians invoking
    > morality and children - grab your wallet and/or your kid and run for your life.

  5. Anth

    Anth Guest

    Thanks for info. Anth

    news:[email protected]...