Thank God for George W. Bush

Tom Keunich

Guest
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/16/911.commission/

9/11 staff: No al Qaeda cooperation with Iraq Wednesday,
June 16, 2004 Posted: 9:49 AM EDT (1349 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The panel investigating the September
11, 2001, terrorist attacks found that there was "no
credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on
attacks against the United States," according to a staff
report issued on Wednesday.

The report says Osama bin Laden "explored possible
cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan, despite his
opposition to (Saddam) Hussein's secular regime. Bin Laden
had in fact at one time sponsored anti-Saddam Islamists in
Iraqi Kurdistan.

"The Sudanese, to protect their own ties with Iraq,
reportedly persuaded bin Laden to cease this support and
arranged for contacts between Iraq and al Qaeda."

A senior Iraqi intelligence officer reportedly made three
visits to Sudan, finally meeting bin Laden in 1994.

Bin Laden is said to have requested space to establish
training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons,
but Iraq apparently never responded.

"There have been reports that contacts between Iraq and al
Qaeda also occurred after bin Laden had returned to
Afghanistan, but they do not appear to have resulted in a
collaborative relationship," the report said.

[email protected] (Tom Keunich) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/16/911.commission/
>
> 9/11 staff: No al Qaeda cooperation with Iraq Wednesday,
> June 16, 2004 Posted: 9:49 AM EDT (1349 GMT)
>
> WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The panel investigating the September
> 11, 2001, terrorist attacks found that there was "no
> credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda cooperated on
> attacks against the United States," according to a staff
> report issued on Wednesday.
>
> The report says Osama bin Laden "explored possible
> cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan, despite
> his opposition to (Saddam) Hussein's secular regime.

So there's no ties huh?

> [email protected] (Tom Keunich) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/16/911.commi-
> > ssion/
> >
> > 9/11 staff: No al Qaeda cooperation with Iraq Wednesday,
> > June 16, 2004 Posted: 9:49 AM EDT (1349 GMT)
> >
> > WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The panel investigating the
> > September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks found that there
> > was "no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda
> > cooperated on attacks against the United States,"
> > according to a staff report issued on Wednesday.
> >
> > The report says Osama bin Laden "explored possible
> > cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan, despite
> > his opposition to (Saddam) Hussein's secular regime.
>
> So there's no ties huh?

Phew! I'm glad they got THAT all straightened out before
someone went ahead and did something stupid!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Kunich) wrote:

> [email protected] (Tom Keunich) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/16/911.commi-
> > ssion/
> >
> > 9/11 staff: No al Qaeda cooperation with Iraq Wednesday,
> > June 16, 2004 Posted: 9:49 AM EDT (1349 GMT)
> >
> > WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The panel investigating the
> > September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks found that there
> > was "no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda
> > cooperated on attacks against the United States,"
> > according to a staff report issued on Wednesday.
> >
> > The report says Osama bin Laden "explored possible
> > cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan, despite
> > his opposition to (Saddam) Hussein's secular regime.
>
> So there's no ties huh?

You are correct, Tom: there are no ties.

From <http://wcco.com/topstories/topstories_story_168092-
515.html>:

But the Sept. 11 panel said that while a senior Iraqi
intelligence official reportedly met with bin Laden in 1994
in Sudan, and bin Laden asked to set up training camps in
and for help with weapons, "Iraq apparently never
responded." (end quote)

Note this word in the first sentence: "reportedly".
Furthermore, a one-time meeting that didn't seem to have
any results can be called "contact", but is not the same
thing as "ties". Far from it.

Continuing:

According to a published report, Mohammed may have been
subjected to extreme interrogation methods by U.S. agents,
including near drowning. It is not clear if any of the
information in Wednesday's report was obtained using such
tactics. (end quote)

Is the info any good? A possible answer to that follows
(from <http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?file=524502.html>:

The nearly universal uselessness of torture is well-known in
intelligence and special warfare circles. Even if you have a
key figure who does possess useful information, and you
eventually get him (or her) to tell you what you want, what
actual good is it?

Is it really true? Is it merely what the torturer has
inadvertently conveyed to the victim that he wants to
hear? Even if true, is it any longer useful? Every
resistance or underground organization works with a system
of cut-outs that limits what any one individual knows, and
signals everyone else to scatter when a prisoner is taken.
(end quote)

--
tanx, Howard

"Copper will never be gold" Shellac

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > [email protected] (Tom Keunich) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/16/911.commiss-
> > > ion/
> > >
> > > 9/11 staff: No al Qaeda cooperation with Iraq
> > > Wednesday, June 16, 2004 Posted: 9:49 AM EDT (1349
> > > GMT)
> > >
> > > WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The panel investigating the
> > > September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks found that there
> > > was "no credible evidence that Iraq and al Qaeda
> > > cooperated on attacks against the United States,"
> > > according to a staff report issued on Wednesday.
> > >
> > > The report says Osama bin Laden "explored possible
> > > cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan,
> > > despite his opposition to (Saddam) Hussein's secular
> > > regime.
> >
> > So there's no ties huh?
>
> Phew! I'm glad they got THAT all straightened out before
> someone went ahead and did something stupid!

Careful, Marlene (heh)!