Thank goodness he had that 11 cog

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, May 19, 2004.

  1. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0.html
    >>

    > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line too
    > (according to the radar).

    In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows in
    the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't really
    get a sense of his cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time
    trial, not a sprint.

    So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  3. On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:18:23 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line
    > too (according to the radar).

    89 rpm is good enough, isn't it?

  4. "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0.html

    The 11 I would have expected.

    Thank goodness he had the stamina to drive the pedals that far and
    hold off a charging Alessandro. Fred looked like he was running on
    fumes as he hit the line. From the heli shot you could see Petacchi
    riding Fred's wheel before trying to come around. A hell of a sprint
    and executed to perfection.

  5. brian roth

    brian roth Guest

  6. gwhite

    gwhite Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:18:23 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line
    > > too (according to the radar).

    > 89 rpm is good enough, isn't it?

    Why not ask Koach Kunich? He'll know.

  7. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0.html
    > >>

    > > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line

    too
    > > (according to the radar).

    > In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows in
    > the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't really
    > get a sense of his cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time
    > trial, not a sprint.
    >
    > So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

    Freddy was sloggin that gear, head pumping, lots of body movement, it was an
    uphill sprint too.

    Dave

  8. Russ Baxter

    Russ Baxter Guest

    Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> http://www.velonews.com/diaries/rider/articles/6097.0.html
    > >>

    > > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line too
    > > (according to the radar).

    > In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows in
    > the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't really
    > get a sense of his cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time
    > trial, not a sprint.
    >
    > So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

    I'm not. Have you ever tried to turn a 54x11 uphill against the wind?
    Seems to me the cadence would not be real high with such a big gear
    under those conditions.

  9. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Russ Baxter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Jeff Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]
    >> >>
    >> > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line too
    >> > (according to the radar).

    >> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows in
    >> the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't really
    >> get a sense of his cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time
    >> trial, not a sprint.
    >>
    >> So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
    >>
    >> Bob Schwartz
    >> [email protected]

    > I'm not. Have you ever tried to turn a 54x11 uphill against the wind?
    > Seems to me the cadence would not be real high with such a big gear
    > under those conditions.

    My point is not that you would have to slog such a big gear under
    those conditions. My point is that it is very unusual to win a
    sprint by slogging a big gear.

    I'm at a disadvantage in that we don't do cable so all I'm going by
    is crappy web video. It is hard to make much out because of the
    shadows. He does appear to be turning a bigger gear than Petacchi.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  10. Bob Schwartz wrote:

    > In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows in
    > the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't really

    They should have used fill-in flash.

  11. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On 5/19/04 1:01 PM, in article [email protected], "Bob
    Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Russ Baxter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:<[email protected]>...

    >>> In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows in
    >>> the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't really
    >>> get a sense of his cadence but that's the correct cadence for a time
    >>> trial, not a sprint.
    >>>
    >>> So I am very skeptical that he was really in the 11.
    >>>
    >>> Bob Schwartz
    >>> [email protected]

    >> I'm not. Have you ever tried to turn a 54x11 uphill against the wind?
    >> Seems to me the cadence would not be real high with such a big gear
    >> under those conditions.

    > My point is not that you would have to slog such a big gear under
    > those conditions. My point is that it is very unusual to win a
    > sprint by slogging a big gear.
    >
    > I'm at a disadvantage in that we don't do cable so all I'm going by
    > is crappy web video. It is hard to make much out because of the
    > shadows. He does appear to be turning a bigger gear than Petacchi.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz
    > [email protected]

    You ALL must be kidding!!
    You are NUTZZ if you do not think ALL in contention sprinters are not
    running an 11

  12. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    Fill in flash in a video? It would have to be a constant flash that
    lasts for the duration of the sprint, and would be so bright that the
    riders would be falling all over the place (not necessarily a bad
    thing).

    "Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Bob Schwartz wrote:
    >
    > > In a 54 X 11 you go 55 km/hr at 89 rpm. There are a lot of shadows

    in
    > > the online video I get from La Gazzetta dello Sport so you can't

    really

    > They should have used fill-in flash.

  13. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > My point is not that you would have to slog such a big gear under
    > those conditions. My point is that it is very unusual to win a
    > sprint by slogging a big gear.

    I think that Fred held speed more than sprinted. For all of Petacchi's
    rather rude remarks about Velo, I think that Marco was doing a good job
    considering the conditions and that they were on the front for so long.

  14. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Steve <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You ALL must be kidding!!
    > You are NUTZZ if you do not think ALL in contention sprinters are not
    > running an 11

    Well, even from the crappy web video it's pretty clear that
    Petacchi is running higher rpm than Fred. So if Fred was
    in the 11 then Petacchi couldn't have been.

    Bob Schwartz
    [email protected]

  15. Rob Knell

    Rob Knell Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:18:23 +1000, Jeff Jones wrote:
    > > Interesting that he was clocked at "only" 55 km/h coming across the line
    > > too (according to the radar).

    > 89 rpm is good enough, isn't it?

    I have the sprint on video. There's a helicopter shot of the last bit
    of the sprint. I counted 20 pedal strokes in 13.5 seconds: 88.9 rpm. I
    guess he was using that 54X11.

    Rob