Thank You For Replys to "Best Steel Bike"

Tom

Guest
I want to thank everyone who responded to my query about the 'best steel bike' - You've given me a
liberal education about 'steel' that I did not know.

Even though 73, I've only been a serious road biker the last three years and still have a
lot to learn.

300 Navigator (comfort bike) about four years ago, and up to the old Diamond Back "Welded Carbon
Fiber' frame with Dura Ace components three years ago. And after reading the web pages and your
comments, I think what I am really wanting a good 'century bike' that performs well in the
mountains too.

Thanks again to all of you for your comments and recommendations. I now have a lot of good leads to
pursue. This is a neat news group.

Tom

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:03:40 +0000, Tom wrote:

> And after reading the web pages and your comments, I think what I am really wanting a good
> 'century bike' that performs well in the mountains too.

You might want to consider the kind of set-up Sheldon Brown offers specifically for this kind
of riding:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/habanero.html

I have one of these frames, and love it. Mine has different components, but Sheldon's selections are
quite reasonable (well, not all of us like Brooks saddles, but that is another discussion).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all _`\(,_ | mysteries, and all
knowledge; and though I have all faith, so (_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not
charity, I am nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

Used to think my Regal was a wonderful saddle until I got a B-17. The brooks is definitely worth the
weight penalty. Or, you could get one with Ti rails and pay a wallet penalty.

I'm baffled. What is it you don't like about Brooks saddles?

Bob Koreis

rkoreis wrote:

> I'm baffled. What is it you don't like about Brooks saddles?

They are uncomfortable and weigh more than stone. Just buy a racing seat, be light, be comfortable.

Racing seat and comfortable go together like Department of Homeland Security and Civil Rights. As it
is, most of us would do better to drop a bit of weight off our midsection.

Bob Koreis

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 20:19:29 +0000, rkoreis wrote:

> I'm baffled. What is it you don't like about Brooks saddles?

Hey, each person has to find the saddle that works. In my case, I tried a Brooks Pro for 6 months. I
was told, over and over, that it would eventually become the most comfortable saddle imaginable. For
me, all I could imagine was Sheldon Brown's "Real Man" saddle, 30 years before its invention (gee,
do I get to sue Sheldon?).

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front _`\(,_ | of enough
typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of (_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the
collected works of Shakespeare. The internet has proven this not to be the case.

Re: Brooks saddles. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to saddles.

I've had good results with Brooks saddles (both B.17 and Pro) for many years, although I will
acknowledge that they are not stable over time. I find they eventually become uncomfortable, when
the leather has sagged enough to feel the rear frame through the leather. Even tightening the nose
bolt eventually cannot solve this. IME the Pro never really softens very much; the B.17 does soften
quite a bit.

So, some of my bikes have Brooks saddles, a couple have Lepper Voyageurs and a couple have
Avocet O2 40M's.