Thanks for the memories, Jan

gplama

Well-Known Member
May 16, 2004
7,822
Melbourne. Sometimes.
1997 Tour de France champion and 2000 Olympic Gold Medallist Jan Ullrich has announced the end of his career as professional cyclist, but will stay involved in cycling as an advisor to the Austrian Professional Continental Team Volksbank. At a press conference this morning in Hamburg, Germany, he said, "I could ride again immediately, I could get a license, I am fit, as fit as last year and could immediately have a team. I have seven offers, including ProTour teams."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb26news2

On Feb 26, 10:13 pm, gplama <gplama.2mm...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> 1997 Tour de France champion and 2000 Olympic Gold Medallist Jan Ullrich
> has announced the end of his career as professional cyclist, but will
> stay involved in cycling as an advisor to the Austrian Professional
> Continental Team Volksbank. At a press conference this morning in
> Hamburg, Germany, he said, "I could ride again immediately, I could get
> a license, I am fit, as fit as last year and could immediately have a
> team. I have seven offers, including ProTour teams."
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb26news2

Did you read that awful article about him in Ride? Some 'journo' who
spent a page blaming him for her loss of innocence, and let's not
forget, he's not been convicted of anything from the Puerto thing, but
if you read her article without any background information to balance
it, you'd swear he was guilty of everything under the sun that's
illegal and unethical. How quickly the presumption of innocence
disappears. I thought Ride generally published quality stuff, and
left the drivel to Bicycling Australia, but it seems that the
difference is just the paper stock after all.

gplama said:
1997 Tour de France champion and 2000 Olympic Gold Medallist Jan Ullrich has announced the end of his career as professional cyclist, but will stay involved in cycling as an advisor to the Austrian Professional Continental Team Volksbank.

Oh fcuksticks. Just wish such a brilliant career didn't have to end like this.

Auf wiedersehen, Kaiser Jan.

cfsmtb said:
Oh fcuksticks. Just wish such a brilliant career didn't have to end like this.

Auf wiedersehen, Kaiser Jan.
+1 - a fantastic rider ... hopefully he's at peace with the choice that he's made. According to the folks at the GT forum, he looked happy during the press conference, which is a start. Thanks, Jan.

i guess the high-cadence spinners will take over da world.

Flying"I veel grrrind dem too peaces:Dutch

Bleve said:
On Feb 26, 10:13 pm, gplama <gplama.2mm...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> 1997 Tour de France champion and 2000 Olympic Gold Medallist Jan Ullrich
> has announced the end of his career as professional cyclist, but will
> stay involved in cycling as an advisor to the Austrian Professional
> Continental Team Volksbank. At a press conference this morning in
> Hamburg, Germany, he said, "I could ride again immediately, I could get
> a license, I am fit, as fit as last year and could immediately have a
> team. I have seven offers, including ProTour teams."
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb26news2

Did you read that awful article about him in Ride? Some 'journo' who
spent a page blaming him for her loss of innocence, and let's not
forget, he's not been convicted of anything from the Puerto thing, but
if you read her article without any background information to balance
it, you'd swear he was guilty of everything under the sun that's
illegal and unethical. How quickly the presumption of innocence
disappears. I thought Ride generally published quality stuff, and
left the drivel to Bicycling Australia, but it seems that the
difference is just the paper stock after all.

Thanks for the show Jan. Even though you have a girl's name, you certainly didn't ride like one.

Bleve, yeah what a judgmental beeatch - if that's not just creative writing on her part, then she's the one with issues.

Where will be without the obligatory Jan looks like a chipmunk after
winter from too many pies photos?

PiledHigher said:
Where will be without the obligatory Jan looks like a chipmunk after
winter from too many pies photos?
a lock for germany's next celebrity "The Biggest Loser"??

byron27 said:
a lock for germany's next celebrity "The Biggest Loser"??

On the flipside of the sentimental departure.. what if he is found guilty?
On that note - who the hell won the 2006 TdF?

Maybe I'm too cynical after the of books I've just read?
***** Voets "Breaking the Chain", Paul Kimmage's "Rough Rider" and "Put Me Back on My Bike" by William Fotheringham. These certainly don't paint a good picture of the pro peloton! Rik van Steenbergen was quoted in 1967 "There are no supermen. Doping is necessary in cycling". Given all the scandals over the years since.. I dunno.. every time I find a 'hero' they are tainted a year later in some drug scandal. :(

hippy

On Feb 27, 5:56 am, RobM <[email protected]>
wrote:
> cfsmtb Wrote:> Oh fcuksticks. Just wish such a brilliant career didn't have to end like
> > this.

> > Auf wiedersehen, Kaiser Jan.

> +1 - a fantastic rider ... hopefully he's at peace with the choice
> that he's made. According to the folks at the GT forum, he looked
> happy during the press conference, which is a start. Thanks, Jan.
>
> --
> RobM

He will be missed.

Cycling News has a retrospective on his career. Interesting to note
that Vino and 2 chicks were in his Porsche 911 when he crashed it into
a bike rack.

Who knew you could fit 4 people into a 911 ...

On Feb 28, 8:17 am, hippy <hippy.2mo...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> byron27 Wrote:
>
> > a lock for germany's next celebrity "The Biggest Loser"??

> On the flipside of the sentimental departure.. what if he is found
> guilty?
> On that note - who the hell won the 2006 TdF?
>
> Maybe I'm too cynical after the of books I've just read?
> ***** Voets "Breaking the Chain", Paul Kimmage's "Rough Rider" and "Put
> Me Back on My Bike" by William Fotheringham. These certainly don't paint
> a good picture of the pro peloton! Rik van Steenbergen was quoted in
> 1967 "There are no supermen. Doping is necessary in cycling". Given all
> the scandals over the years since.. I dunno.. every time I find a 'hero'
> they are tainted a year later in some drug scandal. :(

Which raises the question "who needs heros"? Plato has a -lot- to
answer to ... it's arguably his fault :)

On Feb 28, 5:13 pm, "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 8:17 am, hippy <hippy.2mo...@no-
>

> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> > byron27 Wrote:

> > > a lock for germany's next celebrity "The Biggest Loser"??

> > On the flipside of the sentimental departure.. what if he is found
> > guilty?
> > On that note - who the hell won the 2006 TdF?

> > Maybe I'm too cynical after the of books I've just read?
> > ***** Voets "Breaking the Chain", Paul Kimmage's "Rough Rider" and "Put
> > Me Back on My Bike" by William Fotheringham. These certainly don't paint
> > a good picture of the pro peloton! Rik van Steenbergen was quoted in
> > 1967 "There are no supermen. Doping is necessary in cycling". Given all
> > the scandals over the years since.. I dunno.. every time I find a 'hero'
> > they are tainted a year later in some drug scandal. :(

> Which raises the question "who needs heros"? Plato has a -lot- to
> answer to ... it's arguably his fault :)- Hide quoted text -

Don't we expect a lot of these poor buggers? Jeez, they rise to the
top because they are physically capable and have some rat cunning,
then we expect them to be intellectual giants and saints. Like
expecting rugby league players to be abstemious, violin-playing
gentlemen instead of strong, fast bogans. Maybe divide the hero
category into normal hero and saint hero.

On 2007-02-27, jazmo (aka Bruce)
> Thanks for the show Jan. Even though you have a girl's name, you
> certainly didn't ride like one.

And if you did say that, she'd crush you liek bug with her thighs.

--
TimC
Jun 26 14:08:17 kernel: troll-o-meter (pid 15134) killed: memory exhausted

On 2007-02-26, flyingdutch (aka Bruce)

> i guess the high-cadence spinners will take over da world.
>
> Flying"I veel grrrind dem too peaces:Dutch

Now look whos smiling, grinder boy.

--
TimC
Weeks of coding can save you hours of planning. --unknown

On Feb 28, 8:31 am, "petulance" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 27, 5:56 am, RobM <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > cfsmtb Wrote:> Oh fcuksticks. Just wish such a brilliant career didn't have to end like
> > > this.

> > > Auf wiedersehen, Kaiser Jan.

> > +1 - a fantastic rider ... hopefully he's at peace with the choice
> > that he's made. According to the folks at the GT forum, he looked
> > happy during the press conference, which is a start. Thanks, Jan.

> > --
> > RobM

> He will be missed.
>
> Cycling News has a retrospective on his career. Interesting to note
> that Vino and 2 chicks were in his Porsche 911 when he crashed it into
> a bike rack.
>
> Who knew you could fit 4 people into a 911 ...

This could really spiral downhill ...

"Donga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Feb 28, 8:31 am, "petulance" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Feb 27, 5:56 am, RobM <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > cfsmtb Wrote:> Oh fcuksticks. Just wish such a brilliant career didn't
>> > have to end like

>> > +1 - a fantastic rider ... hopefully he's at peace with the choice
>> > that he's made. According to the folks at the GT forum, he looked
>> > happy during the press conference, which is a start. Thanks, Jan.

>> > --
>> > RobM

>> He will be missed.
>>
>> Cycling News has a retrospective on his career. Interesting to note
>> that Vino and 2 chicks were in his Porsche 911 when he crashed it into
>> a bike rack.
>>
>> Who knew you could fit 4 people into a 911 ...

> This could really spiral downhill ...

4 people in a 911 certainly will if you lift off mid-corner. An old 911,
anyway.

On Feb 27, 6:18 am, flyingdutch <flyingdutch.2mm...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> i guess the high-cadence spinners will take over da world.
>
> Flying"I veel grrrind dem too peaces:Dutch
>
> --
> flyingdutch

His finest moment in the mountains (*)

long version, 10 minutes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0dSQI5L0os

short version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yGEa39oH80

Love the way he is sitting in the saddle most of the time during the
climbs (in contrast to Pantani and Virenque).
Keep on grinding in the free world ...

(*) storming Andorra in 1997. Though surely his finest moment in a
Time Trial was handing out a 90 second beating to Armstrong in 2003.