Thanks for your help - more help wanted!

rick H

Guest
Last week I asked about rolling-resistance on tyres. I got some good
advice from the group, and as a result two new Schwalbe Marathon Plus
MTB's turned up in a large Wiggle box yesterday.

It's a pleasure not to have that constant bzzzzz you get with nobblies
on roads. On nobblies, every pedal stroke felt like a lurch followed by
deceleration, but with the smoother Schwalbes you don't get that.

Rick's Standard Route Number 1 (too lazy to think up new places to go!)
was conquered in 50 minutes rather than the usual hour on my old tyres -
an average of 14.4 mph which no doubt you guys will find laughable!

Here's the new problem:
I couldn't get the pressure in the new tyres above 40psi with the pump
that I've got, no matter how much brawn was applied. It's a Carrera
mini pump with a built-in gauge and can be used with both Schrader and
Presta valves. I've had it so long I can't remember if it was a cheapy
or a decent one when I bought it!

Can anyone recommend a similar-sized pump that actually *will* get air
in to the tyres?

Thanks to all for your help once again,

--
Rick

rick H wrote:

> Here's the new problem:
> I couldn't get the pressure in the new tyres above 40psi with the pump
> that I've got, no matter how much brawn was applied. It's a Carrera
> mini pump with a built-in gauge and can be used with both Schrader and
> Presta valves. I've had it so long I can't remember if it was a cheapy
> or a decent one when I bought it!
>
> Can anyone recommend a similar-sized pump that actually *will* get air
> in to the tyres?

I'd suggest a track pump to leave at home for most pumping jobs and a
wee one for trips. For a track pump I use a Topeak JoBlow which I've
been fairly happy with and seems like a well built bit of kit.

For a mini-pump I can't really help you... I've an SKS one but since I
tend not to get punctures I rarely use it. Did use it once and it was
okay, but nothing special... The Topeak mini-morph has a good
reputation, as does the Blackburn Airstick, but I've not used either.
Bottom line is mini-pumps will never work as well as a bigger one, all
else being equal. The Zefal HPX and Topeak Road Morph are bigger than
minis but smaller than track pumps (can usually be fitted into the bike
frame if it's a diamond) and have good reputations.

But get a track pump for home use: I very much doubt you'll regret it.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch wrote:
> rick H wrote:
>
> > Here's the new problem:
> > I couldn't get the pressure in the new tyres above 40psi with the pump
> > that I've got, no matter how much brawn was applied. It's a Carrera
> > mini pump with a built-in gauge and can be used with both Schrader and
> > Presta valves. I've had it so long I can't remember if it was a cheapy
> > or a decent one when I bought it!
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a similar-sized pump that actually *will* get air
> > in to the tyres?

> I'd suggest a track pump to leave at home for most pumping jobs and a
> wee one for trips. For a track pump I use a Topeak JoBlow which I've
> been fairly happy with and seems like a well built bit of kit.
>
> For a mini-pump I can't really help you... I've an SKS one but since I
> tend not to get punctures I rarely use it. Did use it once and it was
> okay, but nothing special... The Topeak mini-morph has a good
> reputation, as does the Blackburn Airstick, but I've not used either.
> Bottom line is mini-pumps will never work as well as a bigger one, all
> else being equal. The Zefal HPX and Topeak Road Morph are bigger than
> minis but smaller than track pumps (can usually be fitted into the bike
> frame if it's a diamond) and have good reputations.
>
> But get a track pump for home use: I very much doubt you'll regret it.

Mostly seconded. The JoeBlow is OK as a track pump but mine has died
after 4 years use. I now have a wrench force one (and a mini pump too)
and both seem fine.

...d

"David Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mostly seconded. The JoeBlow is OK as a track pump but mine has died
> after 4 years use. I now have a wrench force one (and a mini pump too)
> and both seem fine.

A track pump became an essential piece of kit for me when my son, exuberant
with his new BMX bike then proceeded to kerb it at every opportunity and I
was repairing pinch flats on a daily basis. If puntures are a rarity, the
track pump is still useful as a quick and reliable method of getting high
pressure in your tyres.

I use a Crank Brothers pump when out and about and it does the job
adequately.

rick H said the following on 31/08/2006 08:59:

> Can anyone recommend a similar-sized pump that actually *will* get air
> in to the tyres?

Not sure exactly how mini you're looking for, but the Blackburn range
are pretty good. I use the Marathon for my MTB, but others in the range
might suit you better. Have a look at http://www.blackburndesign.com/
I've never tried going above about 35psi with it though, but it's
supposed to be able to go up to 90. Whether you will last until 90psi
is a different matter though :)

CO2 inflaters might also be worth looking at - saves a lot of pumping
with a mini-pump. Never tried them myself, but I'm sure others have and
can comment.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

rick H wrote:

> Here's the new problem:
> I couldn't get the pressure in the new tyres above 40psi with the pump
> that I've got, no matter how much brawn was applied. It's a Carrera
> mini pump with a built-in gauge and can be used with both Schrader and
> Presta valves. I've had it so long I can't remember if it was a
> cheapy or a decent one when I bought it!
>
> Can anyone recommend a similar-sized pump that actually *will* get air
> in to the tyres?

Topeak Road Morph. I managed to get a 559 Hutchinson Top Slick up to what
the track pump's gauge reckoned to be 140 psi with one (the gauge-free
version). The tyre took umbrage at this cavalier treatment, admittedly, but
it's nice to know you /can/ ;-)

--
Dave Larrington
Funsize Mars bars? What could possibly be MORE fun about eating

in message <[email protected]>, Paul
Boyd ('[email protected]') wrote:

> rick H said the following on 31/08/2006 08:59:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a similar-sized pump that actually *will* get air
>> in to the tyres?

> Not sure exactly how mini you're looking for, but the Blackburn range
> are pretty good. I use the Marathon for my MTB, but others in the
> range
> might suit you better. Have a look at http://www.blackburndesign.com/
> I've never tried going above about 35psi with it though, but it's
> supposed to be able to go up to 90. Whether you will last until 90psi
> is a different matter though :)
>
> CO2 inflaters might also be worth looking at - saves a lot of pumping
> with a mini-pump. Never tried them myself, but I'm sure others have
> and can comment.

CO2 inflaters are one shot per cartridge. That's fine to inflate a new
tube, or one you have successfully found an patched the only puncture,
but it's no good for slow punctures. Also, you need to practice with
them before you use them in anger. I have one, and have used it, but on
the whole except under race conditions a pump is better.

... a mild, inoffensive sadist...

Peter Clinch <[email protected]>typed

> I'd suggest a track pump to leave at home for most pumping jobs and a
> wee one for trips. For a track pump I use a Topeak JoBlow which I've
> been fairly happy with and seems like a well built bit of kit.

> For a mini-pump I can't really help you...

Nor can I; I've never had any joy with a huge raft of the blighters and
can't be arsed to try yet another, though I might have read and ignored
favourable reports here.

> I've an SKS one but since I
> tend not to get punctures I rarely use it. Did use it once and it was
> okay, but nothing special... The Topeak mini-morph has a good
> reputation, as does the Blackburn Airstick, but I've not used either.
> Bottom line is mini-pumps will never work as well as a bigger one, all
> else being equal. The Zefal HPX and Topeak Road Morph are bigger than
> minis but smaller than track pumps (can usually be fitted into the bike
> frame if it's a diamond) and have good reputations.

I can recommend the zéfal hp-x, but it's not a mini...

> But get a track pump for home use: I very much doubt you'll regret it.

Wot e said.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Topeak Road Morph.

Seems to have a good reputation, but have not tried one. For a wacky
(and slightly heavier, but cheaper) alternative take a look at
http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html - mine's proved trouble free, and
easier to use than my track pump. It has it's own distinctive sound
tho' ;)

I absolutely heart these tyres, the energy I wasted on my old knobblies
doesn't bear thinking about.

"squeaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dave Larrington wrote:
>>
>> Topeak Road Morph.
>>

> Seems to have a good reputation, but have not tried one. For a wacky
> (and slightly heavier, but cheaper) alternative take a look at
> http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html - mine's proved trouble free, and
> easier to use than my track pump. It has it's own distinctive sound
> tho' ;)

I carry and use the Cyclaire turbo pump both on the road and at home. I have
had no problems in achieving the required tyre pressures in my schwalbe
marathon plus tyres without becoming exhausted or wearing out my arms and
hands. And it makes a very different noise together with a lot of vibration.
It works for me & I am very happy with it!
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Pinky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "squeaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Seems to have a good reputation, but have not tried one. For a wacky
>> (and slightly heavier, but cheaper) alternative take a look at
>> http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html - mine's proved trouble free, and
>> easier to use than my track pump. It has it's own distinctive sound
>> tho' ;)
>>

> I carry and use the Cyclaire turbo pump both on the road and at home. I have
> had no problems in achieving the required tyre pressures in my schwalbe
> marathon plus tyres without becoming exhausted or wearing out my arms and
> hands. And it makes a very different noise together with a lot of vibration.
> It works for me & I am very happy with it!

I also chose a Cyclaire because it has a pressure gauge and will fit
in a wedge pack - all the hpx-compatible straight tubes on my bike
have bottle bosses etc. that I didn't want to obscure. I haven't had
it long enough to recommend it, but it does seem to reach 90psi OK.

-adrian

Pinky <[email protected]> wrote:
> "squeaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [...] For a wacky
>> (and slightly heavier, but cheaper) alternative take a look at
>> http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html - mine's proved trouble free, and
>> easier to use than my track pump. It has it's own distinctive sound
>> tho' ;)
>>

> I carry and use the Cyclaire turbo pump both on the road and at home. I have
> had no problems in achieving the required tyre pressures in my schwalbe
> marathon plus tyres without becoming exhausted or wearing out my arms and
> hands. And it makes a very different noise together with a lot of vibration.
> It works for me & I am very happy with it!

That's two votes for the Cyclaire, and, being a sucker for a gadget,
I've ordered one.

I liked the look of the Topeak Morph pumps too - a clever idea.

Thanks to all for your recommendations once again,

--
Rick

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Peter Clinch <[email protected]>typed

> > But get a track pump for home use: I very much doubt you'll regret it.

> Wot e said.

A track pump is one of those items that looks like an absurd luxury
when you've never owned one, but tranforms into a basic necessity once
you have.

--
Dave...