Thanks, Oregon!

pas

Guest
Jerry Bone Jr is a great host and tour guide. Nice to meet ya! Do you want
your tupper ware back? MRT pix and mini RR to follow.

Thanks, Ireman for a great little trail along the resevoir. Our beginner
was a little challenged, but we all had a good time.

penny s

>QUOTE=pas]Jerry Bone Jr is a great host and tour guide. Nice to meet ya! Do you want
>your tupper ware back? MRT pix and mini RR to follow.

>Thanks, Ireman for a great little trail along the resevoir. Our beginner
>was a little challenged, but we all had a good time.

>penny s

I'm glad our "showers" didn't lower your fq (fun quotient). That trail is fun if not "epic" or world class.

K.

ireman_1 wrote:
>> QUOTE=pas]Jerry Bone Jr is a great host and tour guide. Nice to
>> meet ya! Do you want your tupper ware back? MRT pix and mini RR to
>> follow.

>> Thanks, Ireman for a great little trail along the resevoir. Our
>> beginner was a little challenged, but we all had a good time.

>> penny s

> I'm glad our "showers" didn't lower your fq (fun quotient). That
> trail is fun if not "epic" or world class.
>
> K.

Oh, it's a great little trail!! No complaints here. We didn't get rained on
either.
The only real concern was the broken glass all over the ground at the trail
head.

penny

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:48:16 -0700, pas wrote:

> Oh, it's a great little trail!! No complaints here. We didn't get rained on
> either.

So 26 miles is now a "little" trail?!?! Sounds like it worked out really
well, the weather that day was fantastic. It really had me bummed that I
was having to stay here and ride back-and-forth on a fireroad (couldn't
get too far from the trailhead since I was on-call).

I need to plan something for early September. My wife will be out-of-town,
so I have the freedom to disappear for a day or so guilt-free. Anybody
have anything planned in the vicinity? Will Hood River or Bend be cooling
down by that time?

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

BB wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:48:16 -0700, pas wrote:
>
>> Oh, it's a great little trail!! No complaints here. We didn't get
>> rained on either.

> So 26 miles is now a "little" trail?!?!

oh. no... I'm referring to a different trail, along side Lookout Pt.
reservoir outside of Lowell. This was our little ride on Friday, a nice
little trail that ireman suggested.

Penny

Do tell ?

Guess I missed the original thread... I do most of my riding in N. Oregon -
Mt Hood area. When we get south it's usually to ride near Bend, or
occassionally around McKenzie River. Would sure like to add to the
repertoire if this isn't one of those secret trails ?

Gary

news:[email protected]...

Gwood wrote:
> Do tell ?
>
> Guess I missed the original thread... I do most of my riding in N.
> Oregon - Mt Hood area. When we get south it's usually to ride near
> Bend, or occassionally around McKenzie River. Would sure like to add
> to the repertoire if this isn't one of those secret trails ?
>
> Gary

I was in Eugene all weekend. Friday I took my hubby and another couple up to
a trail alongside Lookout Point Resevoir, recommended by ireman as an easy
local option. It was very nice, although our beginner was a little
challenged and has the contusion to prove it. Saturday was the official
AMB-MRT ride, which was me, gab, and Jerry Bone from Salem. At first it
looked like Gman was going to make it and few others but it was not to be.

RR on the mrt coming right up.

Penny

>QUOTE=Gwood]Do tell ?

>Guess I missed the original thread... I do most of my riding in N. Oregon -
>Mt Hood area. When we get south it's usually to ride near Bend, or
>occassionally around McKenzie River. Would sure like to add to the
>repertoire if this isn't one of those secret trails ?

>Gary

>"pas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> BB wrote:

>> > So 26 miles is now a "little" trail?!?!

>> oh. no... I'm referring to a different trail, along side Lookout Pt.
>> reservoir outside of Lowell. This was our little ride on Friday, a nice
>> little trail that ireman suggested.
>>
>> Penny

It's called the "North Shore" (as it follows the north shore of the lake) or some call it north bank, but I rarely hear that. It's certainly not any kind of secret. It's a fun in and out trail for folks of all abilities. There only a small handful of "tech" spots and most of those are creek/water crossings that are easily spotted and walked if need be. It's just a very cool meandering ride with plenty of good spots to take in views with some (hidden?) variations one can throw in to keep the more fit or tech-able riders focused. It's an often accessed trail in the wet months since it drains pretty well (except in three or so spots) and is very easy to access. There are several trails in that area that are much better rides, but access is a pain, they are tech as hell or just straight up. Come on down. I'd be happy to show you a couple trails.

K.

ireman_1 wrote:

> It's called the "North Shore" (as it follows the north shore of the
> lake) or some call it north bank, but I rarely hear that. It's
> certainly not any kind of secret. It's a fun in and out trail for
> folks of all abilities. There only a small handful of "tech" spots
> and most of those are creek/water crossings that are easily spotted
> and walked if need be. It's just a very cool meandering ride with
> plenty of good spots to take in views with some (hidden?) variations
> one can throw in to keep the more fit or tech-able riders focused.
> It's an often accessed trail in the wet months since it drains pretty
> well (except in three or so spots) and is very easy to access. There
> are several trails in that area that are much better rides, but
> access is a pain, they are tech as hell or just straight up. Come on
> down. I'd be happy to show you a couple trails.
>
> K.

we certainly enjoyed it. Lot of berries too, I guess that's an oregon thing,
getting swiped by berrie vines and then getting to pick and eat them!!

penny

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:08:45 -0700, pas wrote:

> we certainly enjoyed it. Lot of berries too, I guess that's an oregon thing,
> getting swiped by berrie vines and then getting to pick and eat them!!

Probably all along this valley (which goes up north of Seattle, I
suppose). Since the berry season is only a few weeks, we get swiped by
vines a whole lot more than we pick berries. :-(

I've often thought of carrying some pruners on rides, but the fear of
impalement usually keeps me from it.

--

ireman_1 wrote:

> It's called the "North Shore" (as it follows the north shore of the
> lake) or some call it north bank, but I rarely hear that. It's
> certainly not any kind of secret.
>
> K.

Years and years ago, I rode the North Shore Trail with my friend Tim one
night. Tim was (probablly still is) very good about trail maintenance.
We stopped to throw a large branch out of the trail, and when Tim
stepped off the trail, he yelled "ouch! Damned thorns!" I shone my
light to see what he was complaining about- and illuminated the dozens
and dozens of Yellow Jackets (sometimes affectionately referred to as
the Oregon State Bird), which were all ****** off that he'd stomped on
their lovely home. Attracted by my light, they swarmed towards me.
Needless to say, I shut off my light and sprinted away, leaving Tim to
either do the same or suffer a horrible fate.

He almost caught up to me in his hurry to get away.

Ah, sometimes I miss Oregon.

miles

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:08:45 -0700, pas wrote:
>
> > we certainly enjoyed it. Lot of berries too, I guess that's an oregon thing,
> > getting swiped by berrie vines and then getting to pick and eat them!!

> Probably all along this valley (which goes up north of Seattle, I
> suppose). Since the berry season is only a few weeks, we get swiped by
> vines a whole lot more than we pick berries. :-(

Up here in the Seattle area, the stickers hibernate for about 50 weeks.
Then they wake up in attack mode. Normally they just hang around and
don't bother anyone except those who disturb them. Now they lie in wait
and ambush all innocent riders. While I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I do
believe that they have been collaborating for years with the nettles.

Oh my itchy shins...

--
Cameron

>>ireman_1 wrote:
>>

>> It's called the "North Shore" (as it follows the north shore of the
>> lake) or some call it north bank, but I rarely hear that. It's
>> certainly not any kind of secret.
>>
>> K.
>>

>Years and years ago, I rode the North Shore Trail with my friend Tim one
>night. Tim was (probablly still is) very good about trail maintenance.
>We stopped to throw a large branch out of the trail, and when Tim
>stepped off the trail, he yelled "ouch! Damned thorns!" I shone my
>light to see what he was complaining about- and illuminated the dozens
>and dozens of Yellow Jackets (sometimes affectionately referred to as
>the Oregon State Bird), which were all ****** off that he'd stomped on
>their lovely home. Attracted by my light, they swarmed towards me.
>Needless to say, I shut off my light and sprinted away, leaving Tim to
>either do the same or suffer a horrible fate.
>
>He almost caught up to me in his hurry to get away.
>
>Ah, sometimes I miss Oregon.
>
>miles

I've donated my share of blood to the berry gods on the trails in this area. I'll take the scratches from them over the damn poison oak any day though. You have to love the joys hidden within the brambles from time to time. The "excellent" advice my wife gives is to not fall off the trail and roll in the weeds, but where's the fun in that? On a related (sort of) side note: we are currently trying to "tame" the property we bought recently and I have had a few snakes and yellow jackets get upset with me and my brush cutter. The snakes lose every time, but those little flying bastards are sneaky.

K.