Thanks to Camelbak and the Leaking Bladder Thread

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bloocow, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    Quite some time ago, I read a thread here about someone who had a Camelbak reservoir that leaked
    and I think Jon (Bond) told him the res could be replaced without cost by Camelbak. My case was
    that I bought my Omega port in US, and it was already more than a year old although its been
    leaking all the time.

    So I sent them an email and they told me to get in touch with the Camelbak dealers in Singapore. I
    did that, sent my bladder in and got a new one back about 3 weeks later. I thought it would take 1
    or 2 months so I'm very happy with the prompt and hassle free remedy and now I don't have to stand
    my bladder up everytime its filled just to prevent leakage.

    bloocow.

    Tags:

  2. Dan Langille

    Dan Langille Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:57:30 +0800, "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Quite some time ago, I read a thread here about someone who had a Camelbak reservoir that leaked
    > and I think Jon (Bond) told him the res could be replaced without cost by Camelbak. My case was
    > that I bought my Omega port in US, and it was already more than a year old although its been
    > leaking all the time.
    >
    > So I sent them an email and they told me to get in touch with the Camelbak dealers in Singapore. I
    > did that, sent my bladder in and got a new one back about 3 weeks later. I thought it would take 1
    > or 2 months so I'm very happy with the prompt and hassle free remedy and now I don't have to stand
    > my bladder up everytime its filled just to prevent leakage.

    The above demonstrates what I was told back in 1995 by the founder of Camelbak. I had dropped by
    their headquarters in Texas (about an hours west of Dallas I think) and told them about my leaking
    reservoir. They replaced it then and there, over the counter.

    I was sitting in my vehicle, deciding whether or not to head towards Waco or back to Dallas and have
    dinner with people there. A guy who was walking out of the building noticed my bike on the roof and
    asked me if I wanted to come riding. I said sure...

    This guy was a/the designer for Camelbak. He was going riding with the boss (the Camelbak founder)
    on his ranch. I met the founder, and we all filled out our reservoirs with water and topped them up
    with ice. I think it was July, so it was hot. We talked about the origins of the company and how I
    came to be there. I mentioned I lived overseas and how it was sometimes difficult to get local
    distributors to process out-of-warranty claims. He said that he'd replace any leaking/defective
    reservoir because the actual item is so inexpensive and the customer relations benefit is so much
    more valuable (my words, not his).

    This was about the time they were developing the little clip which holds the hose to the shoulder
    strap. He said each clip would cost next to nothing, but the research and development and the
    creation of the original die was where the cost was. Memory tells me it was US$34,000 to create the
    first clip.

    He gave me one of those clips. It's still in use and has served me well over the past 8 years. And
    when it comes time to tell this story, it brings back very fond memories of the months I spent
    traveling from Chicago to Vancouver via New Orleans...
    --
    Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

  3. Chip3130

    Chip3130 Guest

    Dan Langille <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I was sitting in my vehicle, deciding whether or not to head towards Waco or back to Dallas and
    > have dinner with people there. A guy who was walking out of the building noticed my bike on the
    > roof and asked me if I wanted to come riding. I said sure...

    That story alone made me a camelback consumer for life. Thanks for sharing
    it. Now, if only other manufacturers could do the same.

  4. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "chip3130" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > That story alone made me a camelback consumer for life. Thanks for sharing
    > it. Now, if only other manufacturers could do the same.

    Usually manufacturers that were started by enthusiasts and are still owned by the founders are this
    way. I don't have a Camelback, but a Gregory Mirage. The bladder was leaking so I emailed the HQ in
    California about it and then droped two in the mail to me that day. I live in Germany and it cost
    them $9 in postage. That is a hefty percentage of what they probably charged for it going into
    distrubition. I think we can safely assume that shimano would not do this.

    Back in the mid 90's, I bought a Dana Designs Terraplane (that is a high end backcountry pack for
    those of you that do not also hike). I had managed to get it all messy with suntan lotion on a
    hiking trip to Assateauge Island. I shot an email off to the company asking for advice on how to
    clean it and Dana Gleason replied himself. Unfortunately K2 bought the company a few years ago,
    screwed the quality and pissed Gleason off enough that he bailed.

    -Dave

  5. Dan Langille

    Dan Langille Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:09:55 +0200, "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Back in the mid 90's, I bought a Dana Designs Terraplane (that is a high end backcountry pack for
    > those of you that do not also hike). I had managed to get it all messy with suntan lotion on a
    > hiking trip to Assateauge Island. I shot an email off to the company asking for advice on how to
    > clean it and Dana Gleason replied himself. Unfortunately K2 bought the company a few years ago,
    > screwed the quality and pissed Gleason off enough that he bailed.

    Heh! That reminds *me* of another story! Before I did the trip, I sent off email to a couple of bike
    manufacturers: LiteSpeed and Klein. I was going to be in the area of their HQ and wondered if I
    could drop by for a visit. LiteSpeed said sure, drop by. I did, a day or two after the Eddie Merx
    team member died on the Tour de France in 1995. Things were pretty staid at the HQ, but I did get
    shown around the plant. That I enjoyed. I still have the hat they gave me.

    As for Klein, Gary emailed me back, asked me if I needed a place to stay while in town, offered me a
    bed at his place. I said yes, thank you and a few months later headed off to North America. First I
    did a ride from Vancouver to Calgary via Prince George. Then flew to Boston changing at Chicago. The
    destination (I think ) was Mt Snow, Vermont, to meet up with some CompuServe friends I knew from the
    cycling forums. I changed planes in Chicago and got onto the new flight early. I noticed a guy
    coming down the aisle wearing an MTB t-shirt. I asked him if he was also going to Mt Snow. We talked
    for a while, and I mentioned the email I got from Gary Klein. The guy looked at me oddly, so I went
    into more detail. When I finished, he extended his had and said:

    Hi, I'm Gary Klein.

    We didn't see each other again for about 2 months. But when I turned up in his town, he and his wife
    made me feel very welcome. He had some friends turning up from California and we did some night
    riding on Friday, and rode up Mt St Helens on Saturday. A great time!
    --
    Dan Langille resume: http://www.langille.org/

  6. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Quite some time ago, I read a thread here about someone who had a Camelbak reservoir that
    > leaked and I think Jon (Bond) told him the res could be replaced without cost by Camelbak. My
    > case was that I bought my Omega port in US, and it was already more than a year old although
    > its been leaking
    all
    > the time.
    >
    > So I sent them an email and they told me to get in touch with the Camelbak dealers in Singapore. I
    > did that, sent my bladder in and got a new one
    back
    > about 3 weeks later. I thought it would take 1 or 2 months so I'm very
    happy
    > with the prompt and hassle free remedy and now I don't have to stand my bladder up everytime its
    > filled just to prevent leakage.
    >
    > bloocow.

    Glad it worked out. Yeah, they sent me a new ring for the reservoir, and said if it didn't work,
    just email them and they'd replace the whole bladder. I've found really great customer service from
    all over the bike industry, actually. Time sent me four new spring covers, that retail at $7/piece,
    for example. There are a few other examples too, but I'm blanking.

    Its always best to shoot the company an email or a call, always. Never know what they'll do, and
    usually they'll help out, no problem.

    Jon Bond

  7. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:57:30 +0800, bloocow wrote:
    > Quite some time ago, I read a thread here about someone who had a Camelbak reservoir that leaked
    > and I think Jon (Bond) told him the res could be replaced without cost by Camelbak.

    Yep. Got mine replaced in May. They said allow 8 weeks for delivery, which meant I was going to be
    without 'bak for a couple months, but it really only took a week or so.

  8. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    BB scribbled :
    > On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:57:30 +0800, bloocow wrote:
    >> Quite some time ago, I read a thread here about someone who had a Camelbak reservoir that leaked
    >> and I think Jon (Bond) told him the res could be replaced without cost by Camelbak.
    >
    > Yep. Got mine replaced in May. They said allow 8 weeks for delivery, which meant I was going to be
    > without 'bak for a couple months, but it really only took a week or so.

    Blaine! You are back, does this mean you will show up in ID after all?

    penny