Thanks to everyone who replied to my hybrid questions

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Random, Mar 26, 2005.

  1. Random

    Random Guest

    Thanks to all who confirmed what I was thinking which was "If it feels
    right, it is right" regarding size.
    I'm going to buy the Trek 7300FX hopefully on Monday (if it fits!)

    Final quick Q if I may -

    When "trying a bike on for size" how long should a test ride last?

    I don't want the shop to think I'm taking the mick by going off on a ten
    mile jaunt nor do I want to go to "the post box and back"

    I appreciate the fact that they need to be able to sell the bike I ride "as
    new" if I don't buy it so what is accepted? And how quickly will I know if
    it's right for me.

    Or is bike buying usually one of those "our eyes and rear mech met across a
    crowded bike shop" moments and I'll "just know that it's the one"

    Cheers - And happy Easter riding! Maybe I'll stop posting on newsgroups and
    actually get out and get some exercise before the end of the holidays!

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Random wrote:

    > When "trying a bike on for size" how long should a test ride last?

    I'd give it 10 mins to get the feel unless you are a regular rider in
    which case you will pick up what you need much quicker

    Tony

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Random
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Thanks to all who confirmed what I was thinking which was "If it feels
    > right, it is right" regarding size.
    > I'm going to buy the Trek 7300FX hopefully on Monday (if it fits!)
    >
    > Final quick Q if I may -
    >
    > When "trying a bike on for size" how long should a test ride last?

    Hoo!

    As long as possible, obviously. Having said that, I bought my Cannondale
    - seventeen hundred quids worth of supremely capable mountain bike - on
    the strength of a five minutes ride around the manicured lawns of
    Edinburgh's meadows. And I adore it - it's far and away my favourite
    bike.

    > I don't want the shop to think I'm taking the mick by going off on a
    > ten mile jaunt nor do I want to go to "the post box and back"

    From the shop's point of view they _really_ don't want you to get it
    dirty. It's never possible (or at least extremely difficult) to clean
    it back to new-out-of-the-box clean. You may get a slightly longer ride
    on a dry day than a wet one. Having said that, ten mile jaunts are not
    going to be on. Round the block a couple of times is as much as you're
    likely to get.

    > Or is bike buying usually one of those "our eyes and rear mech met
    > across a crowded bike shop" moments and I'll "just know that it's the
    > one"

    Sometimes.

    ;; when in the shit, the wise man plants courgettes