Thanksgiving torture

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Nancy Young, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.

    Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.

    nancy

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    > the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    >
    > Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    > turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.

    Howdy boys and girls! What Time Is It?
    It's Howdy 2ni time, it's Howdy 2ni time,
    let's give a rousing cheer, 'cause Howdy 2ni's here!

    And a half gallon of rocky road quells any appetite.

    Sheldon Flubadub

  3. modom

    modom Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:02:49 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    >the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    >
    >Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    >turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.

    "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
    creeps in this petty pace from day to day
    to the last syllable of recorded time,
    and all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    the way to dusty death. out, out, brief candle!
    life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    that struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    and then is heard no more. it is a tale
    told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    signifying nothing."

    Or we could just start eating tonight...

    Nah!

    I got the turkeys brining. I got stock simmering. I got beer
    chilling. I got big plans for tomorrow and tomorow and tomorrow,
    plans that have nothing to do sound and fury.

    modom

  4. "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    > the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    >
    > Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    > turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.
    >
    > nancy

    We've started going out to dinner since my octagenarian father sold his
    home. It's still a nice crowd - we are going to Kuleto's on Fisherman's
    Wharf. But I really miss the cooking and excitement. I went to the grocery
    store this afternoon just to get caught up in the whirl. I bought some
    oysters for tonight. All is not lost :-D

  5. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    > the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    >
    > Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    > turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.
    >
    > nancy

    I start roasting veggies and making pumpkin mousse tonight.

    In years past I would be up until 2 or 3 in the morning making pies and
    prepping everything for the main event. I think I kind of like this low key 2
    person thing.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  6. Tara

    Tara Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    >the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    >
    >Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    >turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.

    Oh, yes, my cake smells soooo good. I was going to be productive and
    saute the onions and celery for the dressing, but I think it would
    smell so good it would drive me crazy. Does anything smell better
    than onions browning in butter?

    Tara

  7. On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:06:44 GMT, Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anything smell better
    >than onions browning in butter?

    Onions browning in bacon fat. ;)

    Christine

  8. serene

    serene Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    > the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    >
    > Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    > turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.

    James: "Oh, man, I just screwed up!"

    Me: "What, love?"

    Him: "I got my nose near the PIES!"

    serene

  9. serene

    serene Guest

    Tara wrote:

    > Oh, yes, my cake smells soooo good. I was going to be productive and
    > saute the onions and celery for the dressing, but I think it would
    > smell so good it would drive me crazy. Does anything smell better
    > than onions browning in butter?

    No. Well, maybe popcorn. No, I think onions win.

    serene

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    > > That is when you can smell the pies baking, the stuffing and
    > > the cranberry sauce ... and you can't have any until tomorrow.
    > >
    > > Okay, so it's not really torture, but man, I could go for
    > > turkey dinner already. Tomorrow, nance, tomorrow.
    > >
    > > nancy
    > >

    > I start roasting veggies and making pumpkin mousse tonight.
    >
    > In years past I would be up until 2 or 3 in the morning making pies and
    > prepping everything for the main event. I think I kind of like this low key 2
    > person thing.

    We have it down to a tidy routine here. We cook the pumpkin early in
    the month, or the week before, and drain it. Either freeze, or fridge,
    depending on when it was cooked. Mostly, the week before is cleaning.
    We thaw the bird starting Friday or Saturday in the fridge, make the pie
    crusts, cranberry sauce and extra turkey stock from necks and wings on
    Tuesday. Wednesday, we make the pie fillings and bake the pies, I make
    the rolls this day also, though sometimes I make the dough and bake the
    rolls on Thursday. Any prep that can be done with veggies is done on
    Wednesday as well, set the table for the next day, start on the relish
    tray. Thursday, we roast the turkey, make mashed potatoes, the wild
    rice dressing, and final touches on veggie dishes. Gravy is made while
    the turkey rests.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.