Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. For 'mericans, it is Thanksgiving weekend. Here's my bicycling thanks for this year:

    I am grateful that bicycling continues to strengthen my body -- that my heart, lungs, legs, even
    arms are stronger because of it. Bicycling has strengthened my previously weak ankles.

    I am grateful that the few close calls I had this year on my bike never became collisions with
    other vehicles or pedestrians. The few spills I had are all healed except for a few sproket scars
    on my leg.

    I am grateful that I have a decent bike, and the time and resources to maintain it.

    I am grateful that my husband and children were patient with me when I went off on rides without
    them. I also appreciate that they let me know that they missed me.

    I am grateful to my teachers, which have been other riders, my father (who taught me to ride as a
    kid, and was a cyclist through much of his life), people on r.b.*, resources on the web, and even
    the disparaged Bicycling magazine.

    I am grateful that I have a good way to carry things on my bike -- a good trunk, handlebar bag, and
    this year new panniers to carry even larger loads.

    I'm grateful I can afford equipment to make cycling possible -- and relatively comfortable --
    year round.

    I'm grateful that my work place provides a flexible work schedule, a hot shower, secure parking, and
    a place to hang my work clothes, so that bicycle commuting is a rational alternative way for me to
    get to work.

    I am grateful to the City, who has a way for cyclists to have a voice in the planning process. Mike
    Ingram, our mole in the Planning Department, has been a wonderful liaison for the Bicycle/Pedestrian
    Advisory Committee.

    I am grateful I live in a community that is supportive of bicycling -- rarely am I yelled at or
    deliberately intimidated by motorists. Instead, I think other people on the road do their best to
    accomodate
    me.

    I am grateful our area has a strong and active bicycle club, which sponsors great rides, and gives
    me resources to build my abilities as a ride leader.

    I am grateful that I have this wonderful resource of bicycling, which gives me exercise, a way to
    get to work, out into nature, transportation that is gentle to the planet, and conviviality with my
    husband, my kids, my friends, my neighborhood -- or solitude, if that's what I'd prefer.

    All the best to you all --

    Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist at:

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Claire Petersky wrote:
    > I am grateful that bicycling continues to strengthen my body -- that my heart, lungs, legs, even
    > arms are stronger because of it. Bicycling has strengthened my previously weak ankles.

    Homer referred to women as ``neat-ankled,'' an epic epithet that picks the aptest feature and
    attaches it to its object.

    Knees are ``quick.'' You don't say what happened to your knees.

    Lautréamont uses the line ``Arise, mother of my family on your strong ankles,'' more in line with
    your experience, in _Maldoror_.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  3. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= I'm thankful that Claire has regraced us with her presence, if only for one message. <_Jym_