Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Globaldisc, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    Poor Wampanoag Indians. Oops...don't want to spoil the day.....moving right along. Great day in
    NYC...gonna go do 15 miles in shorts and a singlet...heck it will be in the low 50's, very warm for
    this time of year. Might be my last day of shorts/singlet running for months.

    I've got 3 gatherings to stop by and will probably only have vegetables and undoubtedly will have to
    explain away why I am bypassing on the turkey/gravy/dressing, etc....to at least 2-3 people at each
    gathering. I find it takes a lot of skill and tact to do this in a gracious manner that does not
    bring too much attention/focus on you. These are not the times/moments when you want to point out
    the clogging of arteries that taking place right before you.

    I usually lie and tell the host and dinner party I already ate at another person's place....that
    usually makes sense to everyone and diffuses the nutrition/health issues motivating your decision to
    pass on much of the food. So I've got this line of explanation rehearsed and will be saying it 6-9
    times today.

    Have a great day everyone...

    Tags:

  2. Tenkman

    Tenkman Guest

    "Globaldisc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Poor Wampanoag Indians. Oops...don't want to spoil the day.....moving
    right
    > along. Great day in NYC...gonna go do 15 miles in shorts and a
    singlet...heck
    > it will be in the low 50's, very warm for this time of year. Might
    be my last
    > day of shorts/singlet running for months.
    >
    > I've got 3 gatherings to stop by and will probably only have
    vegetables and
    > undoubtedly will have to explain away why I am bypassing on the turkey/gravy/dressing, etc....to
    > at least 2-3 people at each
    gathering. I
    > find it takes a lot of skill and tact to do this in a gracious manner
    that does
    > not bring too much attention/focus on you. These are not the
    times/moments
    > when you want to point out the clogging of arteries that taking place
    right
    > before you.

    Dude, unless you are a vegetarian I don't see the problem with the white meat of a turkey. Goodness,
    a reasonable portion of turkey is pretty darn healthy and is a nice protein replacement for the long
    run I went on this morning. I find Thanksgiving to be pretty easy as I just eat smaller portions of
    some stuff and eat larger portions of veggies and salad.

  3. Globaldisc wrote:

    >Great day in NYC...gonna go do 15 miles
    >
    >I've got 3 gatherings to stop by and will probably only have vegetables and undoubtedly will have
    >to explain away why I am bypassing on the turkey/gravy/dressing, etc....to at least 2-3 people at
    >each gathering. I find it takes a lot of skill and tact to do this in a gracious manner that does
    >not bring too much attention/focus on you. These are not the times/moments when you want to point
    >out the clogging of arteries that taking place right before you.

    Oh good grief! Do you really think a handful of meals like this a year will really affect your
    health that much, especially if you run those kinds of distances? It sounds to me like you have an
    eating disorder. Let down your hair and enjoy yourself instead of obsessing over the food and
    bringing the wrong kind of attention to yourself. It's not like you *have* to super-size your
    portion or have seconds.

    >I usually lie and tell the host and dinner party I already ate at another person's place....that
    >usually makes sense to everyone and diffuses the nutrition/health issues motivating your decision
    >to pass on much of the food. So I've got this line of explanation rehearsed and will be saying it
    >6-9 times today.

    Why not just tell them the truth instead of playing games? If you think they're going to form
    negative opinions of you then it's either their problem... or their opinions are based in reality
    and you don't want to admit it to yourself.I just ignore such social pressures and am rewarded with
    less stress for it. If I were a host and found out you were BSing me then I would be far more
    offended and have a much lower opinion of you for it.

    Malc

  4. Bagpipa

    Bagpipa Guest

    On 27 Nov 2003 16:13:29 GMT, [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote:

    >Poor Wampanoag Indians. Oops...don't want to spoil the day.....moving right along.

    Those savages asked for it!

    > Great day in NYC...gonna go do 15 miles in shorts and a singlet...heck it will be in the low
    > 50's, very warm for this time of year. Might be my last day of shorts/singlet running for months.

    Spare us.

    >I've got 3 gatherings to stop by and will probably only have vegetables and undoubtedly will have
    >to explain away why I am bypassing on the turkey/gravy/dressing, etc....to at least 2-3 people at
    >each gathering. I find it takes a lot of skill and tact to do this in a gracious manner that does
    >not bring too much attention/focus on you. These are not the times/moments when you want to point
    >out the clogging of arteries that taking place right before you.
    >
    >I usually lie and tell the host and dinner party I already ate at another person's place....that
    >usually makes sense to everyone and diffuses the nutrition/health issues motivating your decision
    >to pass on much of the food. So I've got this line of explanation rehearsed and will be saying it
    >6-9 times today.

    It's more effective to go to the coronary care unit of your local hospital, and make a video tape of
    the all the old farts croakin' off, and bring it to dinner.

    >Have a great day everyone...

    U2 man.

  5. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    >Poor Wampanoag Indians. Oops...don't want to spoil the day.....moving right along. Great day in
    >NYC...gonna go do 15 miles in shorts and a singlet...heck it will be in the low 50's, very warm for
    >this time of year. Might be my last day of shorts/singlet running for months.
    >
    >I've got 3 gatherings to stop by and will probably only have vegetables and undoubtedly will have
    >to explain away why I am bypassing on the turkey/gravy/dressing, etc....to at least 2-3 people at
    >each gathering. I find it takes a lot of skill and tact to do this in a gracious manner that does
    >not bring too much attention/focus on you. These are not the times/moments when you want to point
    >out the clogging of arteries that taking place right before you.
    >
    >I usually lie and tell the host and dinner party I already ate at another person's place....that
    >usually makes sense to everyone and diffuses the nutrition/health issues motivating your decision
    >to pass on much of the food.
    >
    >So I've got this line of explanation rehearsed and will be saying it 6-9 times today.
    >
    >Have a great day everyone...

    What I have to be thankful for is that I'm still coaching cross country :)

    We don't have a full team of 5 able to qualify for state, but I do have 3 kids who made it. Our
    state championships are this coming Saturday, so I know the names of 3 kids who will NOT be eating
    their fill today.

    Everyone else have a great day today. We'd rather have a great day on Saturday.

    Lyndon

    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach Brooks Johnson

  6. What a nancy. Let me guess, you jog in place while eating the corn, right? sit down, shut your
    lying, vegetable eating yap, and eat what's given to you. Joggers suck the fun out of everything.

  7. Why not just pile it high and eat it? When you exercise, you don't need to watch what you
    eat....n'est pas?

    --
    Colm

    "Globaldisc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    : I usually lie and tell the host and dinner party I already ate at another person's place....that
    : usually makes sense to everyone and diffuses the nutrition/health issues motivating your decision
    : to pass on much of the food.

  8. Bagpipa

    Bagpipa Guest

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:33:23 -0500, Malcolm Ferguson
    <[email protected]_SPAM_PLEASEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >Oh good grief! Do you really think a handful of meals like this a year will really affect your
    >health that much, especially if you run those kinds of distances? It sounds to me like you have an
    >eating disorder. Let down your hair and enjoy yourself instead of obsessing over the food and
    >bringing the wrong kind of attention to yourself. It's not like you *have* to super-size your
    >portion or have seconds.

    I agree Malc, I think we need to send him a deep fried haggis. There's a healthy treat fer ya.

    >Why not just tell them the truth instead of playing games? If you think they're going to form
    >negative opinions of you then it's either their problem... or their opinions are based in reality
    >and you don't want to admit it to yourself.I just ignore such social pressures and am rewarded with
    >less stress for it. If I were a host and found out you were BSing me then I would be far more
    >offended and have a much lower opinion of you for it.

    I think he should just tell his family the truth, that after eating meat it's very hard to vomit it
    back up (too chunky) whereas veggies slide back up easily.