That buzzard again....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. From...

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3814991.stm

    """
    Buzzard dies dive-bombing a van

    An angry buzzard which was blamed for more than 20 attacks on cyclists on
    a country road in Devon has died after dive-bombing a van.

    The RSPB said the aggressive bird of prey was accidentally killed on
    Wednesday when it swooped on the vehicle near Holsworthy.

    Experts believe the buzzard - which has a 1m wingspan - could have been
    protecting a nest.

    The bird had been swooping on cyclists, gouging holes in their helmets.

    Emma Parkin from the RSPB said the driver of the van that hit the bird had
    reported the accident immediately.

    She said it was unusual for buzzards to attack humans, which suggested it
    had once been in captivity.

    She said: "It was just being a good parent, although it was probably
    rather too enthusiastic."

    She said it was likely the buzzard was one of a pair and the surviving
    bird would now care for the chicks.

    "There is probably a single parent buzzard flying around now, I hope
    that's the case.

    "The chicks should be pretty robust by now anyway, but this will
    definitely mean their chances of survival have diminished."

    Retired toolmaker Paul Dixon, 71, North Devon secretary of the Cyclists
    Touring Club, was among those who fell victim to the buzzard on the A3072
    between Brandis Corner and Anvil Corner.

    He was not wearing a cycle helmet when the angry bird swooped and left him
    with blood pouring from three scratches on his head.

    All 22 competitors in two long-distance cycle races were also attacked at
    the same spot nearly a fortnight ago.

    The attacks forced a time trial and another scheduled bike ride to be
    re-routed last weekend.
    """

    Let's hope the van driver doesn't turn out to be an angry time triallist!

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]
    <snip>

    > Retired toolmaker Paul Dixon, 71, North Devon secretary of the Cyclists
    > Touring Club, was among those who fell victim to the buzzard on the A3072
    > between Brandis Corner and Anvil Corner.
    >
    > He was not wearing a cycle helmet when the angry bird swooped and left him
    > with blood pouring from three scratches on his head.

    Maybe it was sponsored by helmet manufacturers?

    --
    Tumbleweed

    Remove my socks for email address

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    "Tumbleweed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:eek:[email protected]
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > Retired toolmaker Paul Dixon, 71, North Devon secretary of the Cyclists
    > > Touring Club, was among those who fell victim to the buzzard on the A3072
    > > between Brandis Corner and Anvil Corner.
    > >
    > > He was not wearing a cycle helmet when the angry bird swooped and left him
    > > with blood pouring from three scratches on his head.
    > >

    > Maybe it was sponsored by helmet manufacturers?

    Just when you thought it was safe to go out:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3534729.stm