    -------------------------------
    From: infoATwojDOTcomDOTau
    Date: 27-Nov-2006 22:11

    Wheels of Justice: Say no to road violence

    Wheels of Justice are Australians who happen to enjoy riding bicycles and want to create positive outcomes for all road users. We want drivers to be educated to understand that those who ride bicycles have a right to be on the road, and that all road users have a duty of care towards each other.

    On Saturday 25th November 2006, the Daily Telegraph published Anita Quigley's article "This disturbing cycle is just a critical mess"

    http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...g_cycle_is_just_a_critical_mess/#commentsmore

    In the second paragraph, Quigley makes this following remark:

    "It has never occurred to me it might matter to drivers what a cyclist wears because, clothed or naked, with a helmet or not, all cyclists in the city are irritating and I find bring on an overwhelming desire to swerve towards."

    Quigley counters with this remark (Mon 27 Nov 2006) in response to negative comments left by readers:

    "David et al, I responded on Saturday - it's called humour. And I cannot believe I am still be asked such ludicrous questions. Of course I would not drive my car towards and hit a cyclist."

    Wheels of Justice believe this response is still NOT an adequate apology. As a media commentator, Anita Quigley should have a better comprehension of what is acceptable to publish in the media.

    A possible incitement to violence as a result of difference of opinion is NOT acceptable in any context.

    Last week, the Townsville Bulletin reported that the North Queensland Cowboys have been forced to take their "intensive bike training off the streets and into the protected confines of Townsville's velodrome for the first time" due to unprovoked acts of aggression by motorists.

    The Cowboys strength and conditioning coach Glen Murphy said in the article; "the boys can be as safe as anything (when cycling on the road) but we have no control over motorists."

    Townsville Bulletin: Team go off road (23/11)
    http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,20806503%5E14787,00.html

    What has recently occurred to the North Queensland Cowboys team is sadly an example of intolerant attitudes that should not be further encouraged in the media. Wheels of Justice calls upon all road users, regardless if they drive vehicles, ride bicycles or walk, to use the road environment with shared awareness and respect with each other.

    Wheels of Justice also call upon all road users to contact both Anita Quigley and the Daily Telegraph to make an immediate retraction of her remarks and apologise in full.

    Please contact the Daily Telegraph via the details supplied below to demand a retraction and apology, on behalf of ALL who share Australia's roads.

    The Daily Telegraph
    Postal Address: 2 Holt Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010
    T: (02) 9288-3000.
    F: (02) 9288-2300
    E: [email protected]

    Letter to the Editor:
    http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/letter

    If you have contacted the Daily Telegraph and not received a satisfactory response within 60 days of the complaint, please read the "Guidelines on complaints procedure" from the Australian Press Council for further advice:

    Guidelines on complaints procedure
    http://www.presscouncil.org.au/pcsite/complaints/process.html

    Please feel free to pass on this information.

    --
    ___________________________________

    Wheels of Justice
    Education :: Enforcement :: Accountability
    http://www.woj.com.au
    ___________________________________

    Tags:

  2. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Townsville Bulletin: Team go off road (23/11)
    > http://tinyurl.com/y7ttu8

    "Regular road cyclist and local radiologist Dr Grant Withey was riding along
    University Drive towards Townsville Hospital early Saturday morning to do
    some work at the breast clinic.
    Dr Withey said he heard a car slow down and veer alongside him when a man
    grabbed him through the opened window.
    The brazen passenger grabbed him by the bike seat post and buttocks and
    pushed the bicycle back and forth before letting go, causing the doctor to
    slam into the roadway.
    Dr Withey landed on the road into the path of oncoming traffic, his
    equipment strewn across the road and the bike damaged.
    He suffered a broken collar bone, two broken ribs and grazing to his elbow,
    shoulder, thigh and knee."

    "Northern Region Traffic co-ordinator Inspector Brian Richardson said the
    incident involving Dr Withey could have resulted in dangerous driving
    charges for the perpetrators."

    Dangerous driving? WTF? That is assault occasioning bodily harm at the very
    least.

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

  3. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    I think that what they mean is that if the car driver were driving within the speed limit and not crossing lane markers that may endanger other motorists then nothing would happen:-(

    maybe he'd been inspired by Anita Quigley:-(

  4. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    Scary if that's really the attitude of the local police to a shocking assault, Grant could well have been killed by this action. Hope he recovers quickly

  5. scotty72

    scotty72 New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2005
    What about assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    Assault with a deadly weapon

    Reckless endangerment

    or

    attempted murder, as this clown surely had it in his mind that attacking a cyclist (at speed) would most likely result in an injury that could well be fatal.

    This guy's numb-nut-edness is surely match only by the cops.

    SCotty

  6. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    I might email his sister & see how he's doing - I've known the Withey family for 20 years or so, but been out of touch a while ... if I hear, I'll keep you posted ...

  7. Terryc

    Terryc Guest

    OzCableguy wrote:

    > Dangerous driving? WTF? That is assault occasioning bodily harm at the very
    > least.

    But will the police actually do anything?
    Lets hope the doc puts an embargo on treating police until they do.

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    I also send a copy of the WoJ PR to the North Queensland Cowboys. Hope making reference to what is going on up there can *make a difference*, we all have to keep chipping away at those shitty redneck attitudes.

  9. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "Terryc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]com.au...
    > OzCableguy wrote:
    >
    >> Dangerous driving? WTF? That is assault occasioning bodily harm at the
    >> very least.

    > But will the police actually do anything?
    > Lets hope the doc puts an embargo on treating police until they do.

    Actually, after discussing this with a mate of mine I'm informed that
    assault charges are normally out of the police's hands unless they have a
    witness who can verify it or witness the assault for themselves. It's up to
    the victim to press charges before the police can make an arrest. Or
    something along those lines anyway.
    Dangerous Driving may have been the strongest "traffic" offence they could
    charge the driver with unless the victim decided to press an assault charge,
    which I'm sure the police officer would have encouraged him to do if they'd
    caught the bastards.

    --
    www.ozcableguy.com
    www.oztechnologies.com

  10. Duracell Bunny

    Duracell Bunny New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2006
    A reply from Grant's sister ...

    Thanks for the email. Grant is fine now but still horrified that someone would assault him like that.