That Kids' menu items thread

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Melba's Jammin, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and snacks out. My money's on
    Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways. I'll
    save your place until you get back. mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    Tags:

  2. This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.

    What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging parents to want to bring them back
    that won't be too hard on the bottom line:

    SERVE THEM FASTER!

    Yes, that's it. By the time the parents of small children get them into the restaurant and seated,
    the little ones are hungry. Getting the timing right for young stomachs is a nightmare. Get them
    seated before they're hungry, and you're looking at wasted table time as the children dawdle and
    play and don't eat because nothing looks appetizing. Get them seated when they're already hungry,
    and the most agreeable of children is starting to get fussy. Parents want as much as the
    restaurant staff to get them in there, fed and out, or if there is going to be extra time in the
    restaurant, let it be after the kids are full. (This information brought to you by the mother of
    twins-- not me.)

    That said, the restaurant management has a decision to make based on what everyone has said here. If
    they offer smaller portions at a reduced price to everyone, they run the risk that their adult
    customers will jump at the chance to buy only enough food for one meal instead of the usual three
    thus making the average check total go way down. If they have no children's menu, they might lose
    business by discouraging parents of children. It is all about deciding what sort of clientele you
    wish to attract.

    --Lia

  3. S.Dunlap

    S.Dunlap Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and snacks out. My money's on
    > Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways.
    > I'll save your place until you get back.
    > mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble

    he he...I'm withdrawing from the thread.....too much typing has the wrist in a cast aching. Back to
    one handed typing with the leg in the cast and the wrist propped up. Pass the pain killers - liquid
    variety are fine!

    Sandi

  4. In article <[email protected]_s03>, Julia Altshuler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.

    No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other thread, please. Unless you've
    got food and libations to share, and a comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch
    the antics.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  5. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]_s03:

    > This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
    >

    > What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging parents to want to bring them back
    > that won't be too hard on the bottom line:
    >

    > SERVE THEM FASTER!

    Why? Take them to fast food. We're right back where we started.

    > Yes, that's it. By the time the parents of small children get them into the restaurant and seated,
    > the little ones are hungry. Getting the timing right for young stomachs is a nightmare. Get them
    > seated before they're hungry, and you're looking at wasted table time as the children dawdle and
    > play and don't eat because nothing looks appetizing. Get them seated when they're already hungry,
    > and the most agreeable of children is starting to get fussy. Parents want as much as the
    > restaurant staff to get them in there, fed and out, or if there is going to be extra time in the
    > restaurant, let it be after the kids are full. (This information brought to you by the mother of
    > twins-- not me.)

    Yet again, a decision has been made that a child(s) needs rank right up there as #1. If the parents
    are in such a rush, go to a fast food joint or a restaurant that caters to families and children.
    There are thousands of places that will get a family in and out in record time. Some actually have
    healthy alternatives for the kids.

    > That said, the restaurant management has a decision to make based on what everyone has said here.
    > If they offer smaller portions at a reduced price to everyone, they run the risk that their adult
    > customers will jump at the chance to buy only enough food for one meal instead of the usual three
    > thus making the average check total go way down. If they have no children's menu, they might lose
    > business by discouraging parents of children. It is all about deciding what sort of clientele you
    > wish to attract.

    I agree with this. Unfortunately this limits the choices a parent can help the child make. I don't
    have experience with really young children, except a kid brother. My kids were teens when delivered
    to my doorstep ;) I can say if I had young children, I would not have a problem feeding them healthy
    meals when dining out. Period. Would I impose on a 3-5 star restaurant? You betcha' I would. I'd
    order the extra plate and share. The one restaurant I mentioned earlier with the 'Sign of Rules' for
    kids under 12 is signed, NFK, Thanks, Management. NFK means No F*****g kids.

    Personally I don't see the big issue here. If parents do not want to take the kids to a restaurant
    that caters to fine diners, let 'em go to the family joints. Just keep those nasty little fingers
    out of the salad bar. No one can convince me there are not healty eating alternatives for children
    at most restaurants. A kid's menu is not mandatory on every restaurant menu and quite frankly; I'm
    tired of parents that have determined that the retailer, restaurant etc. has to monitor and watch
    out for their offspring. It just ain't so. If the *parent(s)* monitor the food intake of the child,
    all is well. IMO most parents don't give a damned.

    Michael

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  6. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    [email protected] (S.Dunlap) deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<barbschaller-
    > [email protected]>...
    >> I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and snacks out. My money's on
    >> Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways.
    >> I'll save your place until you get back.
    >> mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble
    >
    > he he...I'm withdrawing from the thread.....too much typing has the wrist in a cast aching. Back
    > to one handed typing with the leg in the cast and the wrist propped up. Pass the pain killers -
    > liquid variety are fine!
    >
    > Sandi

    Want some Vicoden? I have some leftovers...

    Michael

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  7. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]_s03>, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
    >
    > No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other thread, please. Unless you've
    > got food and libations to share, and a comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch
    > the antics.

    <huge eyeroll> Oh just stuff it. Preferably with some of that fab jam of yours ;)

    Michael <- participating in the fight

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  8. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:37:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
    >

    > What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging parents to want to bring them back
    > that won't be too hard on the bottom line:
    >

    > SERVE THEM FASTER!

    AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants that give kids some crayons and a paper
    placemat to draw on have the right idea.

    > Yes, that's it. By the time the parents of small children get them into the restaurant and
    > seated, the little ones are hungry.

    That reminds me of when my kids were little and we said we were going to a restaurant rather than
    McDonald's etc... their first question was always: "Is it going to be fast food or slow food?"

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and snacks out. My money's on
    > Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways.
    > I'll save your place until you get back.
    > mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble
    > --
    > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

    I got the ABT's and some BBQ'ed ribs.

    BOB and the thread you mentioned "ignored"

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Dog3 <[email protected];not>
    wrote: (snip)

    > >> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
    > >
    > > No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other thread, please. Unless you've
    > > got food and libations to share, and a comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch
    > > the antics.
    >
    > <huge eyeroll> Oh just stuff it. Preferably with some of that fab jam of yours ;)
    >
    > Michael <- participating in the fight

    Well, I NEVAH!! Harummppphhh!!! :p
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  11. Miche

    Miche Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]_s03>, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
    >
    > No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other thread, please. Unless you've
    > got food and libations to share, and a comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch
    > the antics.

    Miche arrives with a lawn chair, a bowl of popcorn and a pitcher of mint juleps.

    Hi guys, got a space for me?

    Miche

    --
    If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud. -- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

  12. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:00:58 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and snacks out. My money's on
    >Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways.
    >I'll save your place until you get back.

    But, but...you *know* that anything involving kids' food of any description brings out the 'expert'
    in all of us, even the childless (we've all *been* children, and *know* children). I rather like the
    long threads with lots of opinions and viewpoints. No, not Caesar Salad or Fettuccini Alfredo, but
    at least it's lively. And you have no opinion at all?!!

  13. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    sf <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:37:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
    >>

    >> What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging parents to want to bring them back
    >> that won't be too hard on the bottom line:
    >>

    >> SERVE THEM FASTER!
    >>
    > AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants that give kids some crayons and a paper
    > placemat to draw on have the right idea.

    Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for the wee ones ;)

    Michael

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  14. Dog3

  15. Dog3 wrote:

    >>AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants that give kids some crayons and a paper
    >>placemat to draw on have the right idea.
    >

    > Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for the wee ones ;)

    Don't laugh. Parents would LOVE this idea. Look at all the instances where the draw is one thing,
    but the profit is in the food. People go for the movie, but the theater makes its profit on the
    popcorn. People go for the bookstore, but the profit is in the coffee and cake. I can imagine
    parents saying they're going for lunch but really looking forward to a place where they can
    deposit their kids for a while. Come to think of it, diners without children with them would love
    the idea too.

    --Lia

  16. Dog3 wrote:

    >>AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants that give kids some crayons and a paper
    >>placemat to draw on have the right idea.
    >

    > Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for the wee ones ;)

    Don't laugh. Parents would LOVE this idea. Look at all the instances where the draw is one thing,
    but the profit is in the food. People go for the movie, but the theater makes its profit on the
    popcorn. People go for the bookstore, but the profit is in the coffee and cake. I can imagine
    parents saying they're going for lunch but really looking forward to a place where they can
    deposit their kids for a while. Come to think of it, diners without children with them would love
    the idea too.

    --Lia

  17. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Julia Altshuler <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]_s02:

    > Dog3 wrote:
    >
    >>>AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants that give kids some crayons and a paper
    >>>placemat to draw on have the right idea.
    >>

    >> Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for the wee ones ;)
    >

    > Don't laugh. Parents would LOVE this idea. Look at all the instances where the draw is one thing,
    > but the profit is in the food. People go for the movie, but the theater makes its profit on the
    > popcorn. People go for the bookstore, but the profit is in the coffee and cake. I can imagine
    > parents saying they're going for lunch but really looking forward to a place where they can
    > deposit their kids for a while. Come to think of it, diners without children with them would love
    > the idea too.
    >

    > --Lia

    Lia, I can empathize with the parental issues regarding their offspring. OTOH, restaurants, society
    as a whole etc. did not choose to bring them into this world. If the parent wants to eat out with
    them... fine. Don't expect the rest of the world to cater to them. It just ain't gonna happen and
    parents across the land can become as outraged as they want. It'll change nothing. If the parent
    wants the child to eat healthy and play with coloring books, bring carrot sticks, coloring books and
    crayons with when dining out.

    I'm always astonished at the outraged parent that assumes the general public is responsible for
    the child.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  18. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    Barefoot Contessa is on, she is giving some kind of kiddie party, guess what she made for dinner?

    What else? Breaded and fried chicken strips.

    Struck me as amusing. nancy

  19. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Nancy Young <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Barefoot Contessa is on, she is giving some kind of kiddie party, guess what she made for dinner?
    >
    > What else? Breaded and fried chicken strips.
    >
    > Struck me as amusing. nancy

    I'm watching it. Methinks if more parental units did this type of thing with their kids; The issue
    of dining out would not be an issue. Naturally everything she is serving up is healthy <snort>

    Michael <- watching all that sugar being pumped into those little bodies

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

  20. In article <[email protected]>, " BOB"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and snacks out. My money's on
    > > Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways.
    > > I'll save your place until you get back.
    > > mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble
    > > --
    > > -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
    >
    > I got the ABT's and some BBQ'ed ribs.
    >
    > BOB and the thread you mentioned "ignored"

    Come sit here, dear---and bring those ribs. What's an ABT? <Gives Miche an elbow away so BOB can sit
    by ME!> Got any beer? Sam Adams Cherry Wheat preferred, Hon.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!