That really hurt...

serra

Apr 18, 2010
I was biking to the bank today to get a roll of quarters. I was just about to enter an intersection to go straight, and car turned right, cutting me off, a classic right-hook. I braked as best I could, but still hit them and flew over the bars. Thankfully my bike is fine!! :D I did manage to split my chin open, and hit the side of my helmeted head on the ground, and I ruined my favorite shirt :( 5 stitches later I'm itching to ride again, but apparently you're supposed to wait 24 hours to make sure you don't have a concussion.

Time for the moral: Be very careful at intersections. I know you all know this, I do too. But I will definitely be more on the look out for cars turning right. I always get in line when they're stopped, but I think it would be wise to get in line with the cars through intersections, at least the slow moving ones.

ps: PLEASE don't say anything about helmets, I'm begging you. Begging.

Did you report this to the police? After all, the driver's insurance should pay for your stitches.

alienator said:
Did you report this to the police? After all, the driver's insurance should pay for your stitches.
No I didn't. The university health plan took care of it. She was more shaken than I was lol, she actually offered to give me a ride. I didn't know how bad it was because my mirror was smashed, so I turned her down. Wish I hadn't, but oh well, everything's fine now.She was very nice and apologetic. I was actually comforting her. :confused:

alienator said:
After all, the driver's insurance should pay for your stitches.

And the replacement favorite shirt, replacement mirror, and the replacement impact protection which you should get. ;)

Apologetic or not, the driver's mistake shouldn't cost you or the next rider.

frenchyge said:
And the replacement favorite shirt, replacement mirror, and the replacement impact protection which you should get. ;)

Apologetic or not, the driver's mistake shouldn't cost you or the next rider.

I can never replace that shirt :( I already had another helmet, and my mirror was $4. I wasn't too worried about that. I was worried about the next cyclist to encounter her, but it seemed to be an honest accident. She didn't do anything illegal, she just wasn't paying attention, and I should have anticipated that, people get distracted all the time. She was way more freaked out than I was, I thought she was going to cry. I almost feel sorry for her lol.

At the very least you should have got her insurance and made her pay for her complete inept attempt at driving.

Depending on your states laws, she probably did break a law or two when she bowled do over, especially as she ended up splitting your chin open.

Plus you're out if pocket for a helmet and a few other bits and pieces... and a chuck of change that you could have got for your injuries.

serra said:
I can never replace that shirt :( I already had another helmet, and my mirror was $4. I wasn't too worried about that. I was worried about the next cyclist to encounter her, but it seemed to be an honest accident. She didn't do anything illegal, she just wasn't paying attention, and I should have anticipated that, people get distracted all the time. She was way more freaked out than I was, I thought she was going to cry. I almost feel sorry for her lol.

Well, a lot of cyclists--the majority--get hurt or killed because drivers just weren't paying attention. As a driver, you're supposed to be paying attention, and when you don't, the law can hold you accountable and should. As such, drivers should be held accountable when their attention lapses and cyclist pays as a result. I've been hit by a driver turning left, and I have been hit and dragged by a van. In both cases, the drivers just weren't paying attention. Both were cited, one with several citations as should be the case.

serra said:
She didn't do anything illegal.

In my state, she DID do something illegal, and something specifically prohibited by law; see section (f), below:

" Sec. 14-242. Turns restricted. Signals to be given before turning or stopping. U-turns. Left turns. Right turns when passing bicyclist. (a) No person shall turn a vehicle at an intersection unless the vehicle is in a proper position on the highway as required by section 14-241, or turn a vehicle to enter a private road or driveway or otherwise turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a highway unless such movement can be made with reasonable safety. No person shall so turn any vehicle without giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in section 14-244.

(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left shall be given continuously during not less than the last one hundred feet traveled by the vehicle before turning.

(c) No person shall stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in section 14-244 to the driver of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give such signal.

(d) No person shall turn a vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction upon any curve, or upon the approach to, or near the crest of, a grade, where such vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred feet, or at any location where signs prohibiting U-turns are posted by any traffic authority.

(e) The driver of a vehicle intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction which is within the intersection or within the area formed by the extension of the lateral lines of the private alley, road or driveway across the full width of the public highway with which it intersects, or so close to such intersection of public highways or to the area formed by the extension of the lateral lines of said private alley, road or driveway across the full width of the public highway as to constitute an immediate hazard.

(f) No person operating a vehicle who overtakes and passes a person riding a bicycle and proceeding in the same direction shall make a right turn at any intersection or into any private road or driveway unless the turn can be made with reasonable safety and will not impede the travel of the person riding the bicycle."

Well, I hate to admit it, but it was partly my fault as well. :eek: Even if she had looked over her shoulder, and all around, chances are she wouldn't have been able to see me. I was just behind the rear passenger door, in what was mostly likely a blind spot. She says she did signal (albeit a bit late...), and I don't doubt it, because I couldn't see her indicators from where I was. She should have noticed me before though, and remembered I was there.

In hind sight, yes, I should have gotten her information, and probably should have accepted a ride to the hospital. It just didn't really think about it in the moment. My bike was OK, I could walk, I knew what day it was, I didn't really think beyond that, like the helmet and mirror.

I'm certainly not the type that would have sued her for "pain and suffering" or whatever pansies sue for these days. At most, I would have asked her to pay for a new helmet. I will definitely ask for information if this happens again, hopefully it won't...

Surprisingly my chin doesn't hurt, though my arms and stomach are sore from what was probably the worlds must extreme push up.

"Pansies?"

Let's just pray that she doesn't hit anybody else, as it's obvious that she's an incompetent driver.

alienator said:
"Pansies?"

Let's just pray that she doesn't hit anybody else, as it's obvious that she's an incompetent driver.

Some people are "sue happy". I understand suing if you need money to cover medical or equipment costs, or time missed from work, but some people think pain is somehow worth large amounts of money, and I think they're pansies/rather terrible people, unless they plan to buy massive quantities of pillows to help with the pain of course.\

I thinks she'll be much more careful in the future, she was very shaken. She'll at least check her right before she turns from now on.

64Paramount said:
I hope you heal up quickly, Serra.

Thanks, I may venture out tomorrow for a short ride. My legs feel fine, above my waist is quite sore at the moment though.

Be careful out there!

OldGoat said:
In my state, she DID do something illegal, and something specifically prohibited by law; see section (f), below:

" Sec. 14-242. Turns restricted. Signals to be given before turning or stopping. U-turns. Left turns. Right turns when passing bicyclist.

Wow, that's a specific, well-written law. :cool:

serra said:
I'm certainly not the type that would have sued her for "pain and suffering" or whatever pansies sue for these days. At most, I would have asked her to pay for a new helmet. I will definitely ask for information if this happens again, hopefully it won't...

I had a roughly similar conversation with an attorney friend after being hit by a pickup which injured my knee. His response was "how much would you accept to allow someone to hit you in the knee with a baseball bat? If they simply agreed to pay for any medical bills or insurance deductibles, would that be okay?"

I'm glad to hear that you most likely won't have any lasting effects from your injury, and the last thing I would want to do is to chastise a fellow cyclist who's just been struck by an inattentive motorist, so please don't read the tone of this post that way. The reality, however, is that many cyclists do suffer lasting damages as a result of a collision, and while money does not equal pain there's just no other way to try to repair or compensate for those damages. The 8 weeks that I was stuck on crutches, unable to drive, being a burden on my family for even the smallest tasks, dropping deadlines at work, unable to ride, etc. majorly sucked. If someone said they'd give me $5k to go through that again I'd probably say "no thanks." In addition to the pain, being run over by a car can be traumatic enough that some people are afraid to continue cycling on the roadways or have other long-term losses in their quality of life as a result. Everyone experiences it differently, but I don't think it makes anyone a pansy to acknowledge the damage suffered or accept money as the only possible form of compensation.

I'm glad to hear you recognize/acknowledge some of the things that you can do to help prevent a recurrence of this type of incident, and that learning process with probably help make you a better cyclist in the long run. I'd stop you short of minimizing the motorist's responsibility or liability, however. Most drivers don't pay *enough* attention to avoid what you described, and have 'blind spots' which extend far beyond the physical limitations of the vehicle. A cyclist driving that car probably would not have made the same mistake as the motorist in your case.

Get well and cycle safely. :)

frenchyge said:
I had a roughly similar conversation with an attorney friend after being hit by a pickup which injured my knee. His response was "how much would you accept to allow someone to hit you in the knee with a baseball bat? If they simply agreed to pay for any medical bills or insurance deductibles, would that be okay?"

I'm glad to hear that you most likely won't have any lasting effects from your injury, and the last thing I would want to do is to chastise a fellow cyclist who's just been struck by an inattentive motorist, so please don't read the tone of this post that way. The reality, however, is that many cyclists do suffer lasting damages as a result of a collision, and while money does not equal pain there's just no other way to try to repair or compensate for those damages. The 8 weeks that I was stuck on crutches, unable to drive, being a burden on my family for even the smallest tasks, dropping deadlines at work, unable to ride, etc. majorly sucked. If someone said they'd give me $5k to go through that again I'd probably say "no thanks." In addition to the pain, being run over by a car can be traumatic enough that some people are afraid to continue cycling on the roadways or have other long-term losses in their quality of life as a result. Everyone experiences it differently, but I don't think it makes anyone a pansy to acknowledge the damage suffered or accept money as the only possible form of compensation.

I'm glad to hear you recognize/acknowledge some of the things that you can do to help prevent a recurrence of this type of incident, and that learning process with probably help make you a better cyclist in the long run. I'd stop you short of minimizing the motorist's responsibility or liability, however. Most drivers don't pay *enough* attention to avoid what you described, and have 'blind spots' which extend far beyond the physical limitations of the vehicle. A cyclist driving that car probably would not have made the same mistake as the motorist in your case.

Get well and cycle safely. :)

You make good points. I retract my pansy statement. :) I can see how getting money for pain/suffering and such would be useful, I guess I would just feel guilty about it for some silly reason. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else with that, probably over exposure to Judge Judy when I was younger. :(

I understand your issue with not taking them to task. It's a feeling, if someone does something to you, it can be hard to be mad at them, or fault them sometimes. It's not silly that you feel guilty about it, and you should not apologise to anyone for having the feelings that you have.

It does bother me, any time I read about a bicyclist's death, and find that the killer gets off without any real penalty... yeah the experience was punishment enough. If I get hit, it is important that I apply the penalty to its maximum extent to ultimately ensure that drivers don't feel that bicyclists are fair game. If it helps, you/we need to seek damages, not just for ourselves, but for the community as a whole (which includes kids on their trikees).

Having cycled long before I ever drove a car, I am highly conscientious when driving. There is never an excuse to reach into the back seat and search for some trinket your child tossed on the floor while your 2ton killing machine is moving.