That recent posting on a Norwich cyclist who died on Mt Ventoux

Wafflydirtycatl

Guest
There's now been an article in the local Norwich newspaper the Evening News. Can be seen online at

<http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/Story.asp?Brand=ENONLINE&Cate
gory=NEWS&ItemId=NOED19+Jun+2003+12%3A18%3A49%3A667>

"City cyclist dies in holiday tragedy

June 19, 2003 12:18

A KEEN cyclist from Norwich died after a crash on the slopes of a notorious mountain in France —
just after he achieved his dream of reaching its summit.

Mike Nicholson fell from his bike while cycling down the 6,200 ft Mont Ventoux — a fixture on the
famous Tour de France race — in Provence's Rhone Valley.

The 56-year-old internationally-renowned statistician, of Clarendon Road, Norwich, suffered serious
head injuries in the crash and spent two days clinging on to life in a Marseilles hospital.

Trisha Davidson, 52, his devastated partner of more than 30 years, rushed to France and was able to
see him before he died, although he never regained consciousness.

Today, she paid tribute to the man she loved and said he had at least died taking part in a sport
he adored.

And she generously asked wellwishers not to send flowers, but to make donations to the Headway
charity, which helps people with brain injuries.

She said: "He was a very keen cyclist and for a number of years he and his friend Robert Stronge
have been going on a big cycling challenge.

"They went to the south of France because he wanted to ride up Mont Ventoux.

"Mike got to the top, shook hands with Robert and set off to come down, but came off his bike.

"They took him to hospital in Marseilles and I was able to get out there before he died.

"He was on a life support machine and was unconscious, but I think he knew I was there.

"He did phone me from France two days before and we have a photograph of him smiling as he
rode up it.

"That's a nice memory and if he could have picked the way to go, I think that is what he would have
wanted. He loved cycling and walking and always wanted to get to the top of hills so he could look
down at everything below."

Ms Davidson, who works at East Norfolk Sixth Form College in Gorleston, said: "We were together for
33 years and he was a wonderful, very gentle man.

"People have been absolutely amazing and I have had so much support from friends and family.

"Lots of people from his work have written to me and told me how well regarded his work was within
the scientific community."

Mr Nicholson, who was born in Scotland, worked for Lowestoft-based laboratory CEFAS, where he helped
record fish stocks and cleanliness of the world's oceans.

Joe Horwood, deputy chief executive, said: "He really was one of our most outstanding and creative
talents. We will miss him both as an individual and professionally.

"He was respected by a very large number of international scientists and we have had a large number
of enquiries about him since this happened."

Mr Nicholson was also a well-known figure on the Norwich music scene, and regularly took part in
acoustic blues sessions at venues around the city.

A celebration of his life will take place at Colney Wood Memorial Park at 1pm tomorrow.

Ms Davidson said: "We are going to have quite a number of friends and family there. His nephew is a
classical guitarist and will be playing a few pieces.

"It will be a celebration and nobody will be wearing black. Mike would have loved it there because
he was ecologically-minded.

"Because of how Mike died, I thought it would be nice to try and raise some money for the
Headway charity."

Headway House, based in Trafalgar Road East, Gorleston, provides vital day care and support to
people who suffer brain injuries and their families.

Jane Witt, chairwoman of Headway Norfolk and Waveney, said she was extremely touched by Ms
Davidson's kind gesture.

She said: "Everybody at Headway is very sorry to hear of Mike's death. It is tragic and we
understand that only too well.

"We are very grateful to Trisha for thinking of us at such a sad time. It shows a great generosity
of spirit.

"Any money would help other people who have suffered brain injuries and their families."

Mont Ventoux, with its barren landscape resembling the surface of the moon, claimed the life of
World Champion cyclist Tommy Simpson in 1967.

A memorial stands by the side of the steep climb to the mountain's top after the British cycling
star died of exhaustion on his way up the peak.

* Anyone who wants to make donations to the Headway charity can do so via Peter Taylor Funeral
Services at 85, Unthank Road, Norwich on (01603) 760787.

* Further information on Headway is available by telephoning Jane Witt on
(01603) 506070."

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

On 19 Jun 2003 11:34:39 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

>There's now been an article in the local Norwich newspaper the Evening News. Can be seen online at
>
><http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/news/Story.asp?Brand=ENONLINE&Cate
>gory=NEWS&ItemId=NOED19+Jun+2003+12%3A18%3A49%3A667>

[SNIP]

>Today, she paid tribute to the man she loved and said he had at least died taking part in a sport
>he adored.
>
>And she generously asked wellwishers not to send flowers, but to make donations to the Headway
>charity, which helps people with brain injuries.

I'd go along with that. I'm not much of a giver - read "tight *******"
- but Headway is the one concern I'd never say no to.

James