That time of year is near !

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
Well for some of us the weather is quickly starting to drop and in no time the ugly white stuff will be dropping from the sky. Right now in my region (Massachusetts) we are getting weeks with highs in the 50's and lower lately. I'm not much of an outdoor rider once snow flies anymore because of my asthma and cold temps so indoor training rides with some treadmill work start once the white stuff falls. I might manage a couple rides outside in January and February if a little window opens for it.
So where is your outdoor riding limit, or do you still ride outdoor all year long no matter the temps and conditions.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtC6wjKXgks

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Depending on the sunshine and the wind, I usually call it an indoor training day right around the 25 degree mark. I will ride down to a little below 20 degrees, but the sun has to be out, the wind has to be nearly calm and I have to have already been trapped indoors for a week or so before I'll dress up like an Eskimo and ride all of 10 to 15 miles.

Zwift - Trainer Road - Road Grand Tours (now strengthened with enhanced drafting algorithms that factor in rider size, number of riders in front of you and speed, grade, etc!), Rouvy - Golden Cheetah and the rest have sparked new interest...or at least less boredom...in training indoors this Winter.

Yes, it's fun when the cold season approaches. But right now it's nearing Summer. I miss cold weather temperature.

Reactions: zipp2001
I much prefer the hotter temps of summer for riding.

Why is that? I prefer the cold weather because it's when I feel most comfortable. I'd happily settle with cloudy weather complete with wind in your hair. Hahaha!

Hot weather can be sticky and uncomfortable.

Why is that? I prefer the cold weather because it's when I feel most comfortable. I'd happily settle with cloudy weather complete with wind in your hair. Hahaha!

I also hate biking during the summer especially when the sun is shining too bright, and I prefer cloudy and windy weather. Maybe he was just referring to the very cold, snowy winter kind of weather.

In our country, the only problem is during the rainy days or season. But this time of the year, the hot weather is very challenging. It's really hard to use your bike during this season a lot of drivers are really irritated because it's really hot during this season in our country we need to bring a lot of water and patience.

I also hate biking during the summer especially when the sun is shining too bright, and I prefer cloudy and windy weather. Maybe he was just referring to the very cold, snowy winter kind of weather.

So we're the same on that one. It just isn't nice riding with all the glare and heat coming at you. Plus, isn't it pleasant to go out when there's snow or wind blowing in the breeze?

I'm not much of an outdoor rider once snow flies anymore

I agree but for different reasons.

On my mountain bike, the snow is actually somewhat manageable. If you can find a road where the snow is fairly compressed, it actually makes for a fairly exhilarating biking experience.

That being said, I try to avoid biking in the snow because I've busted my butt one too many times. The snow can be deceiving sometimes. Just when you think you've found some solid snow to ride on, it gives way to the fluffy stuff, your tire goes out from under you, and next thing you know you're face down in some muddy slush.

Back in the day when I raced I always did better and had better results in hot humid weather. I always had the mindset lets see who could suffer the most and not crack in the hot conditions. Even now that I'm in my late 50's I still love to sweat like a dog and pound out the miles in summer.

I agree but for different reasons.

On my mountain bike, the snow is actually somewhat manageable. If you can find a road where the snow is fairly compressed, it actually makes for a fairly exhilarating biking experience.

That being said, I try to avoid biking in the snow because I've busted my butt one too many times. The snow can be deceiving sometimes. Just when you think you've found some solid snow to ride on, it gives way to the fluffy stuff, your tire goes out from under you, and next thing you know you're face down in some muddy slush.

I've been mostly an indoor trainer guy in the winter for well over 20+ years. But this past winter I flipped that switch and bought two bikes that would allow me to ride in the snow during winter. I live in a very popular area for snow mobiles and have 100's of miles of trails that get groomed for the snow mobiles. So I spent this winter out among the snow mobiles and had a blast. It is a different world out in the woods in the winter. I was out on some days when it was -16 with the wind chill.
I did have my share of crashes while dealing with ice covered trails and have a new wheel set planned with studs for ice conditions next year.

Oh, that's cool. I've heard about certain people who do better in hot conditions. I can see why not many can perform as good as you in that weather. Those like me would surely lose and may even give up the moment the heat skyrockets.

Well I really like cold weather than hot humid ones, here in Manila, it's scorching hot during the day but the night temperature is generally okay. After summer it's rainy season again when floods, typhoons, strong winds and thunder storms are usually the bane of cyclists here. The most conducive season is the one that comes next to the rainy season and that's by September, it's what we call here the Christmas season or cold season and ends by February, this season is the best for cyclists.

I am lucky to be in a tropical country. However, the summer heat is very exhausting because I tend to sweat even when just sitting at home. The 30 degrees centigrade is punishing for a rider especially when there is no wind. It feels like the heat is coming from the ground aside from the sunlight. But I see riders every day in our village park. I know that riders here are not for leisure but more for the health and probably for losing weight because most of the riders inside our village are seniors. But when it rains, I don't think it is a good idea to ride.

So we're the same on that one. It just isn't nice riding with all the glare and heat coming at you. Plus, isn't it pleasant to go out when there's snow or wind blowing in the breeze?

I have no experience biking during snowfall, but I think some people also don't iike it because of the inconvenience and the more slippery roads and the possibility of snow falling even harder making it hard to bike and to go home.