That was a close one

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Huw Pritchard, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. Cycling home from work the other day, I approached a traffic light controlled junction. Lights turn
    green for me, a quick check to make sure that no-one's trying to nip through the main road on red,
    and off I set. I've just started across the road when I hear a car. Some pillock in a Subaru Impreza
    is fast approaching (at speeds in excess of R7).

    I suppose I should be grateful that he bothered braking for the lights instead of just ploughing
    through, possibly taking me with him. He jams on the anchors and finds himself in a rear wheel skid.
    Taking out a no-entry sign completely and severely bending a set of traffic lights, he came to a
    stop, about three feet away from me.

    The car wasn't exactly a pretty sight, the front bumper had been ripped off on the island, coolant
    was weeing everywhere and his rear nearside wheel bearing had decided it had had enough and left the
    wheel lying flat on the tarmac.

    That was a bit close for comfort.

  2. Panda

    Panda Guest

    well least the car was damaged....thou no doubt he will tell his mates it was a cyclist fault!
    afterall he wouldnt admit to crap driving would he!

    panda

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cycling home from work the other day, I approached a traffic light controlled junction. Lights
    > turn green for me, a quick check to make sure that no-one's trying to nip through the main road on
    > red, and off I set. I've just started across the road when I hear a car. Some pillock in a Subaru
    > Impreza is fast approaching (at speeds in excess of R7).
    >
    > I suppose I should be grateful that he bothered braking for the lights instead of just ploughing
    > through, possibly taking me with him. He jams on the anchors and finds himself in a rear wheel
    > skid. Taking out a no-entry sign completely and severely bending a set of traffic lights, he came
    > to a stop, about three feet away from me.
    >
    > The car wasn't exactly a pretty sight, the front bumper had been ripped off on the island, coolant
    > was weeing everywhere and his rear nearside wheel bearing had decided it had had enough and left
    > the wheel lying flat on the tarmac.
    >
    > That was a bit close for comfort.
    >
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

  3. It's a pity he wasn't reported to the police so that he (or his insurance company) could be billed
    for any damage caused to the signs etc.

    Michael Anderson

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cycling home from work the other day, I approached a traffic light controlled junction. Lights
    > turn green for me, a quick check to make sure that no-one's trying to nip through the main road on
    > red, and off I set. I've just started across the road when I hear a car. Some pillock in a Subaru
    > Impreza is fast approaching (at speeds in excess of R7).
    >
    > I suppose I should be grateful that he bothered braking for the lights instead of just ploughing
    > through, possibly taking me with him. He jams on the anchors and finds himself in a rear wheel
    > skid. Taking out a no-entry sign completely and severely bending a set of traffic lights, he came
    > to a stop, about three feet away from me.
    >
    > The car wasn't exactly a pretty sight, the front bumper had been ripped off on the island, coolant
    > was weeing everywhere and his rear nearside wheel bearing had decided it had had enough and left
    > the wheel lying flat on the tarmac.
    >
    > That was a bit close for comfort.
    >
    > --
    > Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

  4. "Michael Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > It's a pity he wasn't reported to the police so that he (or his insurance company) could be billed
    > for any damage caused to the signs etc.

    Not long ago I witnessed a car have a blowout and mount the verge on a country road, and drive into
    one of those triangular warning signs that mean "uneven road ahead". I called the police and they
    seemed totally uninterested in the state of the sign which was now lying almost flat on the verge,
    due to the bent post.

  5. On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:46:06 +0000, Michael Anderson did issue forth:

    > It's a pity he wasn't reported to the police so that he (or his insurance company) could be billed
    > for any damage caused to the signs etc.

    The Police were there, plus an ambulance and fire engine. It was all very exciting.

  6. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The car wasn't exactly a pretty sight, the front bumper had been ripped off on the island, coolant
    > was weeing everywhere and his rear nearside wheel bearing had decided it had had enough and left
    > the wheel lying flat on the tarmac.

    What a shame (not).

    Pete

  7. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:
    > "Michael Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> It's a pity he wasn't reported to the police so that he (or his insurance company) could be
    >> billed for any damage caused to the signs etc.
    >
    > Not long ago I witnessed a car have a blowout and mount the verge on a country road, and drive
    > into one of those triangular warning signs that mean "uneven road ahead". I called the police and
    > they seemed totally uninterested in the state of the sign which was now lying almost flat on the
    > verge, due to the bent post.

    My better half managed to reverse into a sign outside our daughters school a while back. When I rang
    the roads department they seemed really suprised and we never got a bill.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  8. Manxshaun

    Manxshaun Guest

    I was once in a colleague's car when he lost control on some ice, slid accross the road and hit the
    kerb, flew into the air and descended onto a bench which promptly disintegrated. He had a bill for a
    new one within a couple of weeks.

    manxshaun

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:18:34 +0000, "Huw Pritchard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >at speeds in excess of R7

    Blimey! That /is/ fast!

    Guy