That was err.. bracing.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by wafflycat, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    Pootled along to the CTC meet this morning on the 'bent.

    Discovered that if I do not want to look as if I've been in a serious
    off-road event, the 'bent *needs* the front mudguards on when there is rain.
    Very windy - even on the 'bent I was having to pedal hard on some of the
    downhill bits. Plus - I got a wet bottom - the puddles can be deceptively
    deeper than I thought, and those, combined with the spray and mud flung at
    me from the front wheels - when I got home I was sprayed head to foot with
    mud splatter from the roads.

    On the plus side, it was actually remarkably refreshing being out there in
    the wind & rain - blew the cobwebs away nicely.

    The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

    Cheers, helen s

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

    Not a cheap outing then.

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  3. killermike

    killermike Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:01:38 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

    > The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

    I've just come home through some heavy weather. A bit of drizzle to begin
    with and then I was BLASTED and soaked for the last few mins. It was
    difficult to distinguish whether the rain was actually hail at one point
    and I debated over weather I would actually have to get off or not.

    A bit of drizzle on the way out this morning. Well, it would be as I was
    wearing the tracky bottoms to change out of on arrival.

    Say, if anyone NEEDS decent weather in N Lincs on a particular day, just
    tell me and I'll wear a change of clothing and the weather will be fine.

    --
    ***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
    http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

  4. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >>
    >> The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.
    >>

    > Not a cheap outing then.

    Luckily I had a bottle of TX Direct in the cupboard ready & waiting.

    Cheers, helen s

  5. Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

    > wafflycat wrote:
    > >
    > > The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.
    > >

    > Not a cheap outing then.

    The Wash isn't too far from wafflycat...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    >>> The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

    > Luckily I had a bottle of TX Direct in the cupboard ready & waiting.

    Not as one job, I hope. TX Direct won't get stuff cleaner, that should
    be by an independent previous wash with a pure soap.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    >> Luckily I had a bottle of TX Direct in the cupboard ready & waiting.

    > Not as one job, I hope. TX Direct won't get stuff cleaner, that should be
    > by an independent previous wash with a pure soap.

    No. The jacket was cleaned first and then reproofed. I'm a girlie, I read
    instruction labels ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  8. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

    >The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

    What sort do you use? (I'm just wondering whether it's Paramo, with
    the reference to reproofing.)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:01:38 +0100, "wafflycat"
    > <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
    >

    >>The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.
    >>

    > What sort do you use? (I'm just wondering whether it's Paramo, with
    > the reference to reproofing.)

    Nikwax TX Direct.

    Cheers, helen s

  10. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:58:21 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

    > I'm a girlie, I read
    > instruction labels ;-)

    What are they? (the latter, not the former, I've got a rough idea what they
    are).

    Graeme

  11. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Graeme Dods:
    > > I'm a girlie, I read
    > > instruction labels ;-)

    > What are they? (the latter, not the former, I've got a rough idea what they
    > are).

    No need to pay too much attention to what they say. Either of them.
    <g,d&r>

    [And that's how you wind up feeling shrunken and faintly red...]

    --
    Mark, UK

    "You've no idea what a poor opinion I have of myself, and how little I
    deserve it."

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    >> What sort do you use? (I'm just wondering whether it's Paramo, with
    >> the reference to reproofing.)

    > Nikwax TX Direct.

    I don't think quite the answer sought, as Paramo is the clothing branch
    of Nikwax rather than a proofing product (though Paramo isn't
    particularly more prone to reproofing in this way than many other brands
    of more traditional coated or membrane waterproofs AFAICT).

    Beyond that, switching into pedant mode, TX-Direct isn't waterproofing
    asuch, it's a water repellency treatment. The actual waterproof garment
    should be waterproof without it, but the face fabric surface will tend
    to wet out easily which in turn reduces the breathability to round about
    zip. If the garment is actually physically leaking through the
    waterproof layer (Paramo aside that will very probably be a coating on
    the inside of the face fabric or a membrane laminated to it) then it's
    borked, and using water repellency treatments isn't really going to fix
    it. It's actually quite difficult to tell a lot of leaks from
    condensation build up, best way is to make a bowl with the garment over
    a bucket or similar and make a static pool of water over the suspected
    leak zone which will give a hydrostatic head. If drips come through
    into the bucket it's leaking, any other dampness on the other side of
    the cloth is likely to be condensation.

    Next digression, onto Paramo waterproofs (see www.paramo.co.uk)... Okay
    on cold days and short trundles at low speed, and garments like the
    Velez are well suited to that, but otherwise the liner makes them a bit
    warm for cycling (caveat here is I find them a bit warm, period, where
    others don't, but enthusiasm amongst cyclists seems to be more muted
    than amongst walkers and skiers). Paramo also doesn't keep stuff dry
    with direct bodyweight pressure against it (why the trousers have more
    conventional waterproof seats), so I wonder how it would do against a
    recumbent seat.

    Pete.
    --

  13. Mark McNeill wrote:
    > Response to Graeme Dods:
    >>> I'm a girlie, I read
    >>> instruction labels ;-)

    >> What are they? (the latter, not the former, I've got a rough idea
    >> what they are).

    > No need to pay too much attention to what they say. Either of them.
    > <g,d&r>
    >
    > [And that's how you wind up feeling shrunken and faintly red...]

    Parts of you wind up shrunken and faintly red if pay too much attention to
    them.

    So I understand.
    --
    Ambrose