That was err.. bracing.

wafflycat

Guest
Pootled along to the CTC meet this morning on the 'bent.

Discovered that if I do not want to look as if I've been in a serious
off-road event, the 'bent *needs* the front mudguards on when there is rain.
Very windy - even on the 'bent I was having to pedal hard on some of the
downhill bits. Plus - I got a wet bottom - the puddles can be deceptively
deeper than I thought, and those, combined with the spray and mud flung at
me from the front wheels - when I got home I was sprayed head to foot with
mud splatter from the roads.

On the plus side, it was actually remarkably refreshing being out there in
the wind & rain - blew the cobwebs away nicely.

The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

Cheers, helen s

wafflycat wrote:

> The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

Not a cheap outing then.

--
Tony

Anon

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:01:38 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

> The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

I've just come home through some heavy weather. A bit of drizzle to begin
with and then I was BLASTED and soaked for the last few mins. It was
difficult to distinguish whether the rain was actually hail at one point
and I debated over weather I would actually have to get off or not.

A bit of drizzle on the way out this morning. Well, it would be as I was
wearing the tracky bottoms to change out of on arrival.

Say, if anyone NEEDS decent weather in N Lincs on a particular day, just
tell me and I'll wear a change of clothing and the weather will be fine.

--
***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.

> wafflycat wrote:
>>
>> The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.
>>

> Not a cheap outing then.

Luckily I had a bottle of TX Direct in the cupboard ready & waiting.

Cheers, helen s

Tony Raven <[email protected]>typed

> wafflycat wrote:
> >
> > The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.
> >

> Not a cheap outing then.

The Wash isn't too far from wafflycat...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

wafflycat wrote:

>>> The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

> Luckily I had a bottle of TX Direct in the cupboard ready & waiting.

Not as one job, I hope. TX Direct won't get stuff cleaner, that should
be by an independent previous wash with a pure soap.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>> Luckily I had a bottle of TX Direct in the cupboard ready & waiting.

> Not as one job, I hope. TX Direct won't get stuff cleaner, that should be
> by an independent previous wash with a pure soap.

No. The jacket was cleaned first and then reproofed. I'm a girlie, I read
instruction labels ;-)

Cheers, helen s

<waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:

>The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.

What sort do you use? (I'm just wondering whether it's Paramo, with
the reference to reproofing.)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:01:38 +0100, "wafflycat"
> <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote:
>

>>The waterproofs are in the wash being cleaned and reproofed as I type.
>>

> What sort do you use? (I'm just wondering whether it's Paramo, with
> the reference to reproofing.)

Nikwax TX Direct.

Cheers, helen s

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:58:21 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

> I'm a girlie, I read
> instruction labels ;-)

What are they? (the latter, not the former, I've got a rough idea what they
are).

Graeme

Response to Graeme Dods:
> > I'm a girlie, I read
> > instruction labels ;-)

> What are they? (the latter, not the former, I've got a rough idea what they
> are).

No need to pay too much attention to what they say. Either of them.
<g,d&r>

[And that's how you wind up feeling shrunken and faintly red...]

--
Mark, UK

"You've no idea what a poor opinion I have of myself, and how little I
deserve it."

wafflycat wrote:

> "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> What sort do you use? (I'm just wondering whether it's Paramo, with
>> the reference to reproofing.)

> Nikwax TX Direct.

I don't think quite the answer sought, as Paramo is the clothing branch
of Nikwax rather than a proofing product (though Paramo isn't
particularly more prone to reproofing in this way than many other brands
of more traditional coated or membrane waterproofs AFAICT).

Beyond that, switching into pedant mode, TX-Direct isn't waterproofing
asuch, it's a water repellency treatment. The actual waterproof garment
should be waterproof without it, but the face fabric surface will tend
to wet out easily which in turn reduces the breathability to round about
zip. If the garment is actually physically leaking through the
waterproof layer (Paramo aside that will very probably be a coating on
the inside of the face fabric or a membrane laminated to it) then it's
borked, and using water repellency treatments isn't really going to fix
it. It's actually quite difficult to tell a lot of leaks from
condensation build up, best way is to make a bowl with the garment over
a bucket or similar and make a static pool of water over the suspected
leak zone which will give a hydrostatic head. If drips come through
into the bucket it's leaking, any other dampness on the other side of
the cloth is likely to be condensation.

Next digression, onto Paramo waterproofs (see www.paramo.co.uk)... Okay
on cold days and short trundles at low speed, and garments like the
Velez are well suited to that, but otherwise the liner makes them a bit
warm for cycling (caveat here is I find them a bit warm, period, where
others don't, but enthusiasm amongst cyclists seems to be more muted
than amongst walkers and skiers). Paramo also doesn't keep stuff dry
with direct bodyweight pressure against it (why the trousers have more
conventional waterproof seats), so I wonder how it would do against a
recumbent seat.

Pete.
--

Mark McNeill wrote:
> Response to Graeme Dods:
>>> I'm a girlie, I read
>>> instruction labels ;-)

>> What are they? (the latter, not the former, I've got a rough idea
>> what they are).

> No need to pay too much attention to what they say. Either of them.
> <g,d&r>
>
> [And that's how you wind up feeling shrunken and faintly red...]

Parts of you wind up shrunken and faintly red if pay too much attention to
them.

So I understand.
--
Ambrose