that wasn't very nice now was it

nevermindme

Jan 15, 2006
hey fellow riders.

Thought now might be a good time to have a *****........ apparantly im going to court because a bllody road rider barrelled into me on the FOOTPATH. He was going a good 50 kms an hour on a footpath. And then this ***** starts abusing me and tries to fight me when he's 40 and im 14! he buckled his rim and claims i have to pay him several thousand dollars worth of damage. anyway this ******** reckons he's in the right......reminds me of an eager xc rider

get back to me and gimme your thoughts on the matter

nevermindme said:
hey fellow riders.

Thought now might be a good time to have a *****........ apparantly im going to court because a bllody road rider barrelled into me on the FOOTPATH. He was going a good 50 kms an hour on a footpath. And then this ***** starts abusing me and tries to fight me when he's 40 and im 14! he buckled his rim and claims i have to pay him several thousand dollars worth of damage. anyway this ******** reckons he's in the right......reminds me of an eager xc rider

1) sure it wasn't a shared path?
2) we only have your side of the story
3) sure it wasn't the bike path, with the foot path being nearby?
4) what caused him to hit you and you not avoid the incident?
5) what country/state are you in.

nevermindme said:
hey fellow riders.

sorry, didnt have time to give you the whole story. It was a small undivided path, and no it was not a cycling path it was a footpath with a road that could be cycled on right next to it. I live in australia, perth (w.a) and i cannot give you the other side of the story. But basically a group of friends were riding two abreast along this path, at a slow speed and then a cyclist going at nearly 50 kms/h ploughs into us, without braking etc. the person in front of me was blocking my view until he swerved out of the road and the cyclist hit me. He then preceded to chase me down in his car (his house was two down) and accuse, intimidate and attempt to assault. hope that answeres your questions

let me tell you buddy i dont intend to pay this guy anything. You weren't there, and i appreciate that you have gone to the effort of looking up these rules. But maybe some have not come into effect, or just maybe he wasn't showing a common curtusy either. I know i was in the wrong riding on the wrong side, but hey, it doesn't give him the right to barge into me, threaten me and my parents, not to mention my friends. and the fact is i'm a minor. he commited a crime and now he's trying to make money out of us. i don't think thats very fair. But i know i did ask for your opinion and i got it. Thanks anyway

John90210 said:
Bloody Roadies *rolls eyes*
Now Now, roadys aren't all bad... :)

Has he actually served you with a statement of claim, or has he made an idle threat to sue? It is very unlikely he would succeed in court. After all, it would be his word against yours and you have a witness. He does not. I have spent many years working in the field as an insolvancy professional and I have seldom see these sort of cases come to court. Canadian judges would turf such a case and award costs to you (he would have to pay them).

He would have to sue you and obtain a judgement against you before he could press you for payment. Then, about all he could do is garnishee a percentage of your wages. Chances are none of this would happen. If Austrailia is anything like Canada, there is a cost to go to court, and it would not likely be worth his time and money to pursue a kid over a taco-ed wheel. What was his wheel made outta, gold? Don't sweat it, he is just full of S**T. If he continues to harrass you or your folks, report him to the law. Besetting is a crime in Canada, as it probably is "down under."

Cheers

Charles
Roady, XC Trail Guy and Bentrider