Thats it - Fixies are now officially so last week

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by cfsmtb, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Yes, the trendies have caught up. :eek:

    Wired News: Fixed - Gear Bikes an Urban Fixture
    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,67149,00.html
    Jim Wirtanen spent 12 years as a bike messenger dodging buses and cabs on the streets of Boston. He earned the name "Deadguy" after being hit by a speeding Lincoln Continental on the third week of the job. The collision threw him 40 feet across an intersection and he hit his head on a light pole.

    Wirtanen recovered, returned to messaging and for the last 6 years of his career, delivered packages and legal documents using a brakeless, single-speed bike known as a track bike.

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700

    ppphhhhttt!!!

    next you'll say bikes with round wheels are catchin on :D

    "Basically, a track bike is the perfect invention"
    "Learning how to ride a fixie was like drinking decaf your whole life and then suddenly having the real thing"

    F"keepin it real for the kids"Dutch

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Na, fixed was fun as a kid, but I like my knees to be functional way into old age. People will ride (or build) whatever they want, but the freewheel wins out for practicality and mass appeal. Anyway, this article from Wired is yet another annoying example of the media 'strip mining' an existing subculture to turn a $$$. How unusual, huh?

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

  5. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    My pick for the next "hot thing" is restored Indi 500 bikes from the 70's and 80's. It provokes an irrational reason for buying something; nostalgia.

  6. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > cfsmtb wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, the trendies have caught up. :eek: Wired News: Fixed - Gear
    >> Bikes an Urban Fixture
    >> http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,67149,00.html

    > Hey, this dude works for Harris Cyclery. Sheldon's link to the courier
    > market? :)

    so how does one achieve this;
    "Learning to slow a bike with your legs and cornering while
    pedaling makes one a better cyclist, according to Wirtanen."

    i have had some great crashes over the years pedaling around corners,
    snaging a pedal on the ground and getting friendly with that horizontal
    surface...

    shorter cranks? or is it just less speed so less lean?

    cheers,

    kim

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    kinda wierd. shorter cranks and (i think?) higher BB
    bcos you're pedalling you actually lean the bike over less than when you freewheel and go round a corner (notice i said 'you' lean over less, not the bike)

    Im only just getting confident enuff to go round corners without thinking what's gonna go wrong and even then i lose the 'knack' if i dont ride the thing everyday. and this morning with wet/sandy roads was 'intersting'.
    Love watching the couriers go round the CBD like they and the bike are 'one'

  8. Kim Hawtin

    Kim Hawtin Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Kim Wrote:
    >>so how does one achieve this;
    >>"Learning to slow a bike with your legs and cornering while
    >>pedaling makes one a better cyclist, according to Wirtanen."
    >>
    >>i have had some great crashes over the years pedaling around corners,
    >>snaging a pedal on the ground and getting friendly with that
    >>horizontal
    >>surface...
    >>
    >>shorter cranks? or is it just less speed so less lean?

    how about those egg beater numbers, they'd be a lot narrower than say,
    standard MTB or clipin pedals... would that make much difference?

    > kinda wierd. shorter cranks and (i think?) higher BB
    > bcos you're pedalling you actually lean the bike over less than when
    > you freewheel and go round a corner (notice i said 'you' lean over
    > less, not the bike)

    so, are frames with higher BBs widely available?
    would a MTB frame have a higher BB than say, a roadie?

    > Im only just getting confident enuff to go round corners without
    > thinking what's gonna go wrong and even then i lose the 'knack' if i
    > dont ride the thing everyday. and this morning with wet/sandy roads was
    > 'intersting'.

    =)
    i feel like i haven't been riding for weeks every monday =/
    even when i commute on the friday and ride to the shop for milk on
    saturday or sunday

    > Love watching the couriers go round the CBD like they and the bike are
    > 'one'

    i have to take up smoking or something, so i have an excuse to go
    downstairs and watch the (many) couriers come and go into my offie
    building =) or maybe a (cup|glass) of (tea|coffee|water) ... hmmm
    /me wonders if jolt is still sold in the shop downstairs.. hmmm

    regards,

    kim