That's it, time to go.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dkahn400, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of the
    Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm feeling a
    tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    --
    Dave...

    Tags:

  2. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of
    > the Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm
    > feeling a tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Enjoy! If that's the right word.

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >
    > > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of
    > > the Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm
    > > feeling a tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    > Enjoy! If that's the right word.

    There but for the grace of God go you :)

    Not going to Paris?

    BTW good luck Dave ;-)

  4. dkahn400 wrote:
    > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of
    > the Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm
    > feeling a tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Good luck, Dave, and may the P+nct+r+ Fairy stay away from your tyres.

    I thought I saw his name on a jar of marmalade the other day, but when
    I looked more closely, I saw it read 'thick cut'.

  5. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > Not going to Paris?

    No. we (okay, I) never got it sorted what with a house move to organise.

  6. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of the
    > Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm feeling a
    > tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Best of luck and I hope you have a great time.

    Cheers, helen s

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    And wish MSeries the best of luck as well ;-)

  8. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > Not going to Paris?

    > No. we (okay, I) never got it sorted what with a house move to organise.

    well British Gas and skool skiing trips have reduced my next year's
    hols to camping at the foot of AdH.

  9. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of the
    > Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm feeling a
    > tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Go for it so I can tell my friends I know someone who cycled LEL! Good
    luck, fair weather and may the wind always be on your back.

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  10. audrey

    audrey Guest

    On 22 Jul 2005 07:26:23 -0700, "dkahn400" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of the
    >Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm feeling a
    >tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Good luck Dave.

  11. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On 22 Jul 2005 07:26:23 -0700, "dkahn400" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    Have a brilliant, successful ride, and stay safe :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  12. audrey

    audrey Guest

    >You know two people, I'm doing it too.

    Coo. Good luck to you too :)

  13. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >
    >> Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of the
    >> Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm feeling a
    >> tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.
    >>

    > Go for it so I can tell my friends I know someone who cycled LEL! Good
    > luck, fair weather and may the wind always be on your back.

    You know two people, I'm doing it too.

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > You know two people, I'm doing it too.

    Way to go. Good luck in getting me even bigger bragging rights ;-)

    --
    Tony

    Anon

  15. Julesh

    Julesh Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death of the
    > Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit I'm feeling a
    > tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Good Luck. Have err... Fun :)

    julesh

  16. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death
    > of the Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit
    > I'm feeling a tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    Dunnit!

    Thanks to everyone who wished me luck, although Mr. Larrington probably
    cursed me by wishing me a puncture-free ride: I had eight of the damn
    things altogether, one of which was due to a faulty valve in a new tube
    sold to me at the Langdon Beck control. I was hit by a lorry on the way
    to the start on Friday evening, but got away with a skinned elbow; and
    was involved in a minor crash on the first stage, but stayed upright
    and suffered only a mangled mudguard which I had to stop and straighten
    before I could carry on.

    Met Martin (MSeries) twice on the way round. At the Thurlby control (me
    going south, him north) we were more or less equidistant from our
    respective finishes (well, OK, he was 5k in front). I'd had a long rest
    at Lincoln the night before - 7 whole hours sleep - and hammered from
    there to the finish without any real problems. I was particulary
    anxious to finish ahead of an Italian gentleman who was breakfasting at
    Lincoln at the same time as I was. He'd made something of a habit of
    sitting on my wheel for half a day then breaking away with 10k to go.
    Happily the Dawes Super Galaxy put an hour and a half into his carbon
    fibre Look over the last 200k. That's why I wasn't hanging around at
    Thurlby BTW, Martin.

    Started at 08:15 on Saturday morning and finished at around 18:15 (if I
    remember correctly - I'm not 100% sure) on Wednesday evening. At the
    London control I was welcomed and signed in by Helen Vecht of this
    parish.

    More later, no doubt...

    --
    Dave...

  17. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Found the pics here:

    > Well done BTW.

    A few other familiar faces there, Chris Rutter, Yoshido from Willesden,
    Vorsprung with the Kraftwerk jersey, the lady in the Quest shirt, Geoff
    Ericsson, Jack Eason, Mark Heffer, I dear I feel ashamed not to have
    ridden it now.

  18. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > A few other familiar faces there, Chris Rutter, Yoshido from
    > Willesden, Vorsprung with the Kraftwerk jersey, the lady in the Quest
    > shirt, Geoff Ericsson, Jack Eason, Mark Heffer, I dear I feel ashamed
    > not to have ridden it now.

    And Mike Pain*

    * the man who never stops riding

  19. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > dkahn400 wrote:
    >

    >>Time to pack the panniers and pedal north to Cheshunt (via Death
    >>of the Soul probably) for the pre-LEL pasta party. I must admit
    >>I'm feeling a tad nervous. Talk to you all again in a few days.

    > Dunnit!
    >
    > Thanks to everyone who wished me luck, although Mr. Larrington probably
    > cursed me by wishing me a puncture-free ride: I had eight of the damn
    > things altogether, one of which was due to a faulty valve in a new tube
    > sold to me at the Langdon Beck control. I was hit by a lorry on the way
    > to the start on Friday evening, but got away with a skinned elbow; and
    > was involved in a minor crash on the first stage, but stayed upright
    > and suffered only a mangled mudguard which I had to stop and straighten
    > before I could carry on.
    >
    > Met Martin (MSeries) twice on the way round. At the Thurlby control (me
    > going south, him north) we were more or less equidistant from our
    > respective finishes (well, OK, he was 5k in front). I'd had a long rest
    > at Lincoln the night before - 7 whole hours sleep - and hammered from
    > there to the finish without any real problems. I was particulary
    > anxious to finish ahead of an Italian gentleman who was breakfasting at
    > Lincoln at the same time as I was. He'd made something of a habit of
    > sitting on my wheel for half a day then breaking away with 10k to go.
    > Happily the Dawes Super Galaxy put an hour and a half into his carbon
    > fibre Look over the last 200k. That's why I wasn't hanging around at
    > Thurlby BTW, Martin.
    >
    > Started at 08:15 on Saturday morning and finished at around 18:15 (if I
    > remember correctly - I'm not 100% sure) on Wednesday evening. At the
    > London control I was welcomed and signed in by Helen Vecht of this
    > parish.
    >
    > More later, no doubt...

    We met twice ? We did Lincoln - London - Gamlingay on the penultimate
    day then Gamlingay - Thorne to finished. Day 1 was Thorne - Dalkieth,
    Day 2 Dalkieth - Lincoln.

    We started at 08:30 Saturday finished 19:14 Wednesday, so you were
    slightly quicker than me. Not a race though Dave. (I can't resist
    overtaking Airbornes on my 20 yo steel Raleigh though, especially going
    uphill)