That's torn it! -- Torn lettuce?

Sheldon wrote:
> [snip] Romain is one of the easiest
> lettuces to grow... the trick is to start teh plants early in a cold
> frame and put them in teh ground as soon as therre's no chance of a
> hard frost... lettuce does not like hot weather, two days over 80ºF it
> starts to bolt.

Here in SoCal lettuces are started now and succession planted all
winter. We can usually enjoy lettuces until June. One of our most
rewarding crops. -aem

sf wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2005 14:31:40 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > I tear Bibb/Butter lettuce, but I chop Romaine.

> > With an oriental dressing I like romaine finely shredded, for a
> > sieze-her I use the smaller inner leaves whole, for tossed with a
> > creamy dressing I tear the green off the ribs, the ribs make a nice
> > cooks treat with whatever dip is going, clam is my fav. I grow my own
> > romaine... yoose would be amazed at how huge they grow... 18" wide and
> > 3' tall is normal, I kid you not. Romain is one of the easiest
> > lettuces to grow... the trick is to start teh plants early in a cold
> > frame and put them in teh ground as soon as therre's no chance of a
> > hard frost... lettuce does not like hot weather, two days over 80ºF it
> > starts to bolt.
> >

> You sound like a real gardener. My grandfather did that sort of thing
> and my brother does it now.
>
> <sniffle>
> sf
> feeling nostalgic

No reason you can't garden too. Right now is bulb planting time in the
northeast. I already put in 300 daffodils, another 300 to go. And I
found a great way to dig the holes:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10495&cat=2,2200,33263

http://tinyurl.com/3zmxc

Sheldon

sf wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2005 14:31:40 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>

> > sf wrote:

> > > I tear Bibb/Butter lettuce, but I chop Romaine.

> > With an oriental dressing I like romaine finely shredded, for a
> > sieze-her I use the smaller inner leaves whole, for tossed with a
> > creamy dressing I tear the green off the ribs, the ribs make a nice
> > cooks treat with whatever dip is going, clam is my fav. I grow my own
> > romaine... yoose would be amazed at how huge they grow... 18" wide and
> > 3' tall is normal, I kid you not. Romain is one of the easiest
> > lettuces to grow... the trick is to start teh plants early in a cold
> > frame and put them in teh ground as soon as therre's no chance of a
> > hard frost... lettuce does not like hot weather, two days over 80ºF it
> > starts to bolt.
> >

> You sound like a real gardener. My grandfather did that sort of thing
> and my brother does it now.
>
> <sniffle>
> sf
> feeling nostalgic

No reason you can't garden too. Right now is bulb planting time in the
northeast. I already put in 300 daffodils, another 300 to go. And I
found a great way to dig the holes:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10495&cat=2,2200,33263

http://tinyurl.com/3zmxc

Sheldon

In article <[email protected]>, "Ms
Leebee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>>
>> Onya, Bob! I should have thought more about it myself -- clearly an
>> American recipe would call for pieces small enough to eat with a fork
>> without the aid of a knife, so that would set an upper limit. Around
>> here, Iceberg is the only type commonly available, so I'm afraid I'll
>> have to give the more exclusive salad clubs a miss. ;-)

>Where do you live, Phred ?

As I've said here previously, in the deep north of the deep south --
the hills inland from the tourist ghetto of Cairns.

>Nothing wrong with iceberg, it's a very adaptable lettuce. I like it's
>'icy' crunch ;)

Given that I've hardly ever had the chance to try much else, Iceberg
is "lettuce" to me. :)

>I tend to use it, and rocket, mainly, depending on recipe, and will only buy
>cos if making a proper ceasar.
>Baby spinach too, I guess .. hmm... now I think about it ... I love butter
>lettuce - but getting the dirt out - ugh !

At $25/kg I'm not into eating babies.

>Lamb's tongue is nice too ... i'm an omnivore, can you tell ? ;)

Now, lambs... that's different! ;-) Used to eat one of those small
Tom Piper tins of lamb tongues as a regular constituent of work
lunches years ago. Still splurge on one occasionally; but at going on
$4/tin these days, it's getting to be a somewhat rare treat.

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID

Phred wrote:
> "Ms Leebee" <> wrote:
>
>> Nothing wrong with iceberg, it's a very adaptable lettuce. I like
>> it's 'icy' crunch ;)

> Given that I've hardly ever had the chance to try much else, Iceberg
> is "lettuce" to me. :)
>
>> I tend to use it, and rocket, mainly, depending on recipe, and will
>> only buy cos if making a proper ceasar.
>> Baby spinach too, I guess .. hmm... now I think about it ... I love
>> butter lettuce - but getting the dirt out - ugh !

> At $25/kg I'm not into eating babies.
>
>> Lamb's tongue is nice too ... i'm an omnivore, can you tell ? ;)

> Now, lambs... that's different! ;-) Used to eat one of those small
> Tom Piper tins of lamb tongues as a regular constituent of work
> lunches years ago. Still splurge on one occasionally; but at going on
> $4/tin these days, it's getting to be a somewhat rare treat.

lol. Lamb's tongue is ( also ) another lettuce variant ;)

<grin>

In article <[email protected]>, "Ms Leebee" <[email protected]> wrote:
>Phred wrote:
>> "Ms Leebee" <> wrote:
>>
>>> Nothing wrong with iceberg, it's a very adaptable lettuce. I like
>>> it's 'icy' crunch ;)

>> Given that I've hardly ever had the chance to try much else, Iceberg
>> is "lettuce" to me. :)
>>
>>> I tend to use it, and rocket, mainly, depending on recipe, and will
>>> only buy cos if making a proper ceasar.
>>> Baby spinach too, I guess .. hmm... now I think about it ... I love
>>> butter lettuce - but getting the dirt out - ugh !

>> At $25/kg I'm not into eating babies.
>>
>>> Lamb's tongue is nice too ... i'm an omnivore, can you tell ? ;)

>> Now, lambs... that's different! ;-) Used to eat one of those small
>> Tom Piper tins of lamb tongues as a regular constituent of work
>> lunches years ago. Still splurge on one occasionally; but at going on
>> $4/tin these days, it's getting to be a somewhat rare treat.

>lol. Lamb's tongue is ( also ) another lettuce variant ;)

:):):) As I said elsewhere -- I'm unlikely to ever be a member of
those exclusive lettuce clubs, and you can see why. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID