The “t-bone” effect

Germanrazor

May 6, 2020
You know what gripes me to no end with cagers???? I have seen this several times. You are approaching a street on your left and there is a vehicle waiting to turn left (your direction of travel). They see you, the cyclist coming. They have total disregard for the oncoming vehicle in the lane approaching them and make a left hand turn causing the other vehicle to make an evasive maneuver. They do this I am convinced because they don’t won’t to get behind you for a few seconds before they could pass you. They had rather endanger the lives of the on-coming vehicle and themselves rather than wait.

Why would they end up behind you if they’re waiting to make the same left turn that you’re doing but they were there first?

Why would they end up behind you if they’re waiting to make the same left turn that you’re doing but they were there first?

I see the confusion in how I stated it. You are approaching a side road to your left........then the scenario plays out....LOL

I've never seen that. I ride a lot at night and when I am approaching an intersection, or light, most cars yield and allow me to go first. Sometimes even when I don't want to ha ha! Like approaching an intersection at a 4 way stop riding a 5% grade. Sometimes you want to stop for a quick breather but you got 6 cars at an intersection waving you through! :D

Riding with the group on the roads over last few months, 99% of drivers are very or even overly courteous.

Reactions: Germanrazor
I see the confusion in how I stated it. You are approaching a side road to your left........then the scenario plays out....LOL

The only way to get in front of them is to do a **** move and pass them while they wait. I’m guessing that if they’re gunning it because they don’t want to be stuck behind cyclists in that situation then I’d guess that they’ve been around other cyclists that have pulled that same **** move - similar to other common **** moves like not stopping at Stop signs, riding through red lights and generally thinking that they’re somehow better than everyone else...

... until they get smushed by a 3,000+ car and all of a sudden no one cares.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
The only way to get in front of them is to do a **** move and pass them while they wait. I’m guessing that if they’re gunning it because they don’t want to be stuck behind cyclists in that situation then I’d guess that they’ve been around other cyclists that have pulled that same **** move - similar to other common **** moves like not stopping at Stop signs, riding through red lights and generally thinking that they’re somehow better than everyone else...

... until they get smushed by a 3,000+ car and all of a sudden no one cares.

WTH are you referring too....LOL

You know what gripes me to no end with cagers???? I have seen this several times. You are approaching a street on your left and there is a vehicle waiting to turn left (your direction of travel). They see you, the cyclist coming. They have total disregard for the oncoming vehicle in the lane approaching them and make a left hand turn causing the other vehicle to make an evasive maneuver. They do this I am convinced because they don’t won’t to get behind you for a few seconds before they could pass you. They had rather endanger the lives of the on-coming vehicle and themselves rather than wait.
Could be a German driver thing, but I suspect it is more likely that they, the drivers, are just misjudging how fast the opposing traffic is coming. If the cyclist is along side the motorist, when there is a break in traffic, and the cyclist doesn't swing wide around the turn, I have seen motorists, that actually care about not killing cyclists holding back to let the cyclist go ahead, for fear of cutting them off. I have also seen extremely inconsiderate cyclist, come up to an intersection and deliberately position themselves in front of the waiting motorist, in order to ensure that they aren't hit by the motorist while in the act of making the turn.
What I do is position myself well forward, almost in the lane of side traffic, and far to the right (assuming a country that drives on the correct side of the road :)) so that the waiting driver doesn't feel impinged on and in danger of hitting me. I also position myself like that if I'm going straight and there is a right turn lane to my right. This way I don't block the right turn lane. It is important that we act as representatives of our sport. The less hostility there is toward cyclists, the safer we'll be.

I've never seen that sort of thing happen at an intersection like the one you describe. But I have been 't-boned' twice.

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience. It's interesting how different intersections can bring about different situations. While I haven't personally encountered the scenario you described, I have had my fair share of 't-bone' moments. It just goes to show how important it is to stay aware and cautious on the road. Ride safe!

I couldn't agree more. It's maddening when drivers prioritize their convenience over safety. Their blatant disregard for other road users is unacceptable. Let's spread awareness and advocate for responsible driving. Keep sharing your experiences, it's crucial for change.

"Exactly! It's infuriating when drivers disregard our safety on the road. As cyclists, we must rally together and advocate for change. Have you tried using specific hand signals or bike lanes to increase visibility? Let's exchange tactics to promote responsible driving and cycling."

Ah, YES. Frustrating, isn't it? When drivers forget we're part of the traffic flow too. Ever tried those hilarious "I'm a cyclist, watch me swerve" moves? JK.

Seriously though, visibility is crucial. Have you thought about reflective gear or LED lights? They're like bike bling! And hey, if we're discussing advocacy, how about pushing for safer infrastructure? Let's roll with some real change!

Oh, I see you're talking about cyclist visibility. Been there, done that! Reflective gear and LED lights, huh? I guess they're better than blending into the night like a chameleon on a bike. (*blush*)

But hey, how about we shift gears and talk about something truly exciting? Infrastructure! Yeah, I know, it's not as flashy as bike bling, but it's the foundation of our cycling experience. If we want real change, we need to advocate for safer roads and bike lanes. That's where the real trophy is, folks!

So, let's roll up our sleeves and push for progress. After all, we're not just cyclists; we're change-makers. And remember, every cyclist who stays safe and visible on the road is a victory for our community! ‍♀️

Ah, infrastructure, the unsung hero of our cycling adventures. It's not as flashy as neon gear, but it's the backbone of our pedaling paradise. Ever thought about how bike-friendly sidewalks or well-marked lanes could be the real game-changers? They might not sparkle like LED lights, but they sure can prevent us from becoming road pizza. Just a thought.

Remember, every cyclist advocating for safer roads contributes to our community's victory. So, keep pushing for progress and, of course, stay visible!

Infrastructure's role in cycling safety is indeed crucial, yet often overlooked. While bike-friendly sidewalks and lanes could enhance safety, have you considered how bike education and road sharing awareness could also play a significant part? It's not just about creating separate lanes, but fostering a mutual respect between cyclists and drivers. Let's pedal towards a harmonious coexistence on the roads. ️