General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

The "Acid-Reducer" Scam

Started by Steve Wertz · · Last activity · 161 posts · 961 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 July 2007
Last activity
18 July 2007
Original author
Steve Wertz
Posts
161
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
961
Views / 30 days
37

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 121–140 of 161
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Extremely high fat content. The digestive system apparently does not care
    whether it is "good" or "bad" fat.

    I suspected that, thanks!

    I wonder what the solution would be?

    If you did not eat low carb, I would say to eat them with something
    like bread that could absorb the fat and ease it through your system.

    How do you usually eat avocados, in salads?

  2. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Tony23" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Why would avocados do that?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Extremely high fat content. The digestive system apparently does not care
    whether it is "good" or "bad" fat.

    I suspected that, thanks!

    I wonder what the solution would be?

    Lipase supplements. "lip-" means fat and "-ase" means digest.
    Normally your pancreas spews out enough of this stuff but
    as one gets older enzyme levels of all sorts can decline.

    You can find them at any whale-encrusted, hippie organic food
    store. Try Whole Foods for example. Online, I'm partial to
    Swanson Health Products but you can find lipase just about anywhere.

    Steve

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    cybercat said:

    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There are effective behavioral interventions for the prevention of
    "heartburn." It's acid reflux, or GERD. One very successful means of
    controlling it is eating and drinking in less gluttonous volume i.e.
    eating RDA-defined portions.

    <lol> Too true!

    And avoiding eating foods you know you are sensitive to too late in the
    evening.

    This worked well for me, it was completely reversable, at least as far
    as symptoms go. Grease really is the main culprit, and laying down
    right after eating.

    From what others are saying, I guess there are kinds of GERD that
    do not respond to this??

    Otherwise why would anyone have to be on the medicine permanently?

    Bad habits and poor self discipline.

    In my case, difficulties in giving up foods I like that set it off. :-P

    Tomatoes and avocados being only two of them.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  4. cybercat said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Paco's Tacos said:

    Sounds like time to go fishin' up in the Santa Cruz mountains again! ;-)
    Watch out for them sharks, though! ;-)

    [splash!]

    <a sleek head breaks the surface of the water>

    [blink]

    Noooo, Blinky, don't eat Steve! He's bitter and stringy. 🙂

    Ew. Thanks for the warning.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  5. "Steve Pope" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Lipase supplements. "lip-" means fat and "-ase" means digest.
    Normally your pancreas spews out enough of this stuff but
    as one gets older enzyme levels of all sorts can decline.

    Interesting!

    Quoted message said:


    You can find them at any whale-encrusted, hippie organic food
    store.

    I try to avoid whale-encrusted places.

  6. Steve Wertz said:
    cybercat said:

    That they did not just reinforces Steve's opinion that he worked for
    idiots. It is really hard working for idiots. They deserve what they get.

    My biggest problem with the owner is that he surrounds himself
    with docile, passive people that will agree with everything he
    says or does to keep themselves on top, while they lie and steal
    from him, while he criticized me for pointing that (and his
    idiocy) out to him.

    My two predecessors also got fired for the same thing. I just
    hope I don't start panhandling in drag like the last one did.

    it's not so bad if you got the legs for it.

    your pal,
    blake

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    cybercat said:

    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I wondered why my doctor prescribed Protonix when all I saw on
    tv was the "little purple pill" [censored].

    Never trust the drug companies. They are out to make money, and I have
    yet to see any evidence that they are interested in anything else...

    Yeah, I am with you there. I see those adds with their weird images,
    (Prilosec ads were the worst) and know that with all the money the
    drug companies have, they have the best Madison Avenue advertising
    geeks working on them, to persuade, persuade, to sway. Ugh.

    It's getting to the point where, if I see it on TV I don't want to take it.

    Remember the horrible Dr. Suess takeoffs for Celebrex, then it got
    pulled for some heinous side effects? Now the ads are back, with
    these lengthy discussions of horrible side effects on a backdrop of
    lovely music. Ugh Ugh Ugh.

    Tongue in cheek, but good examples:


    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    cybercat said:

    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    Elevate the head of your bed slighty (bricks under the feet work), and
    try not to eat 2 hours before retiring.

    Om, I cured mine years ago, doing just that, although I sleep with lots
    of pillows under my head. I have not had reflux for several years. The
    deadly formula for me is grease plus spice plus red wine plus going
    right to bed.

    I avoid a lot of problems by not eating for about 2 hours prior to
    retiring. I was blessed with a good GI doc.

    Also giving up coffee and carbonated drinks.

    Those have other benefits as well.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Omelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Extremely high fat content. The digestive system apparently does not care
    whether it is "good" or "bad" fat.

    I suspected that, thanks!

    I wonder what the solution would be?

    If you did not eat low carb, I would say to eat them with something
    like bread that could absorb the fat and ease it through your system.

    How do you usually eat avocados, in salads?

    By themselves do the most damage. :-)

    If eaten as part of a meal, it's not anywhere near as bad.

    So you have a good point.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Steve Pope) said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Tony23" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Why would avocados do that?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Extremely high fat content. The digestive system apparently does not care
    whether it is "good" or "bad" fat.

    I suspected that, thanks!

    I wonder what the solution would be?

    Lipase supplements. "lip-" means fat and "-ase" means digest.
    Normally your pancreas spews out enough of this stuff but
    as one gets older enzyme levels of all sorts can decline.

    You can find them at any whale-encrusted, hippie organic food
    store. Try Whole Foods for example. Online, I'm partial to
    Swanson Health Products but you can find lipase just about anywhere.

    Steve

    I've seen digesting enzyme supps for sale.
    Just never tried them.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  11. "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Paco's Tacos wrote:

    > Sounds like time to go fishin' up in the Santa Cruz mountains again!
    > ;-)
    > Watch out for them sharks, though! ;-)

    [splash!]

    <a sleek head breaks the surface of the water>

    [blink]

    Noooo, Blinky, don't eat Steve! He's bitter and stringy. 🙂

    Ew. Thanks for the warning.

    I, on the other hand, am sweet and succulent. However, if you let me live, I
    will scratch that little spot behind your dorsal fin that makes your tail
    wiggle.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  12. Sheldon said:

    GERD is a life threatening disease. Obviously any medication contains
    some negatives. But with chronic illnesses there often isn't a choice
    but to take medications for life. There are many things one can do to
    mitigate GERD exascerbations and medication is one. GERD is often a
    side effect of other chronic illnesses as well as of the medications
    that treat those other chronic illnesses. With extreme cases surgery
    may be indicated, but only as a last resort... Prilisec presents many
    orders of magnetude less risk than an esophogus transplant, and
    possibly also a bronchial reconstruction.

    With some chronic illnesses it is indeed necessary to take medication
    daily, rain or shine, for life. GERD is not among them.

    There are too many other means of controlling gastric reflux. Modifying
    dietary habits, weight and activity are primary controls but because
    they are behavioral controls (requiring real personal discipline to
    change old habits), the failure rate is high. There is a greater success
    rate with medications because it is easier and less of a nuisance to
    take a pill in the morning and then modify eating habits later, way
    later, like tomorrow or the next day. That's why we have a pill for
    every goddamned thing.

    Proton pump inhibitors will still be used even when GERD is
    better-controlled, but they will be used on an intermittent basis just
    as they were meant to be used. In many present day cases of
    long-standing GERD, if patients are under good dietary control their
    daily proton pump inhibitors are being changed to short-interval PRN
    doses for when symptoms recur.

  13. "Pennyaline" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    GERD is a life threatening disease. Obviously any medication contains
    some negatives. But with chronic illnesses there often isn't a choice
    but to take medications for life. There are many things one can do to
    mitigate GERD exascerbations and medication is one. GERD is often a
    side effect of other chronic illnesses as well as of the medications
    that treat those other chronic illnesses. With extreme cases surgery
    may be indicated, but only as a last resort... Prilisec presents many
    orders of magnetude less risk than an esophogus transplant, and
    possibly also a bronchial reconstruction.

    With some chronic illnesses it is indeed necessary to take medication
    daily, rain or shine, for life. GERD is not among them.

    There are too many other means of controlling gastric reflux. Modifying
    dietary habits, weight and activity are primary controls but because they
    are behavioral controls (requiring real personal discipline to change old
    habits), the failure rate is high. There is a greater success rate with
    medications because it is easier and less of a nuisance to take a pill in
    the morning and then modify eating habits later, way later, like tomorrow
    or the next day. That's why we have a pill for every goddamned thing.

    Proton pump inhibitors will still be used even when GERD is
    better-controlled, but they will be used on an intermittent basis just as
    they were meant to be used. In many present day cases of long-standing
    GERD, if patients are under good dietary control their daily proton pump
    inhibitors are being changed to short-interval PRN doses for when symptoms
    recur.

    I am in agreement with you. You have a much better understanding of
    this problem than most people do.

  14. cybercat said:

    I am in agreement with you. You have a much better understanding of
    this problem than most people do.


    She's a Registered Nurse.

  15. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:

    I am in agreement with you. You have a much better understanding of
    this problem than most people do.


    She's a Registered Nurse.

    Well then that just goes to show you how smart I really am, now doesn't it?

    lol

  16. cybercat said:

    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Paco's Tacos wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds like time to go fishin' up in the Santa Cruz mountains again!
    >> ;-)
    >> Watch out for them sharks, though! ;-)
    >
    > [splash!]
    >
    > <a sleek head breaks the surface of the water>
    >
    > [blink]

    Noooo, Blinky, don't eat Steve! He's bitter and stringy. 🙂

    Ew. Thanks for the warning.

    I, on the other hand, am sweet and succulent. However, if you let me live, I
    will scratch that little spot behind your dorsal fin that makes your tail
    wiggle.

    Oooh. <involuntarily starts to twitch>

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

  17. "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:

    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    cybercat wrote:
    >
    > "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> Paco's Tacos wrote:
    >>
    >>> Sounds like time to go fishin' up in the Santa Cruz mountains again!
    >>> ;-)
    >>> Watch out for them sharks, though! ;-)
    >>
    >> [splash!]
    >>
    >> <a sleek head breaks the surface of the water>
    >>
    >> [blink]
    >
    > Noooo, Blinky, don't eat Steve! He's bitter and stringy. 🙂

    Ew. Thanks for the warning.

    I, on the other hand, am sweet and succulent. However, if you let me
    live, I
    will scratch that little spot behind your dorsal fin that makes your tail
    wiggle.

    Oooh. <involuntarily starts to twitch>

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Hey! Get a room, you two! ;-)~

  18. cybercat said:

    "Tony23" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Omelet said:

    I'd personally prefer not to take the risk.
    Famotidine is working fine (at the moment anyway...)

    That and a bit of dietary care.

    It really annoys me that Avocados seem to set off almost instant
    heartburn. :-( Even worse that Tomatoes.


    Ugh - I guess guacamole is out, then?

    Why would avocados do that?

    Extremely high fat content. The digestive system apparently does not care
    whether it is "good" or "bad" fat.

    Ah - I can see that. Didn't look at it that way.

  19. cybercat said:

    "Tony23" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    cybercat said:

    It is really hard working for idiots.


    AMEN!

    I bet even other idiots have a problem working for idiots.

    I now work for myself. I refuse to say if that is hard or not, lol!!

    Biggest problem working for yourself is that you can't gripe about your
    boss behind his back.

  20. Pennyaline said:
    Sheldon said:

    GERD is a life threatening disease. Obviously any medication contains
    some negatives. But with chronic illnesses there often isn't a choice
    but to take medications for life. There are many things one can do to
    mitigate GERD exascerbations and medication is one. GERD is often a
    side effect of other chronic illnesses as well as of the medications
    that treat those other chronic illnesses. With extreme cases surgery
    may be indicated, but only as a last resort... Prilisec presents many
    orders of magnetude less risk than an esophogus transplant, and
    possibly also a bronchial reconstruction.

    With some chronic illnesses it is indeed necessary to take medication
    daily, rain or shine, for life. GERD is not among them.

    There are too many other means of controlling gastric reflux. Modifying
    dietary habits, weight and activity are primary controls but because
    they are behavioral controls (requiring real personal discipline to
    change old habits), the failure rate is high. There is a greater success
    rate with medications because it is easier and less of a nuisance to
    take a pill in the morning and then modify eating habits later, way
    later, like tomorrow or the next day. That's why we have a pill for
    every goddamned thing.

    There is also the matter of trade-offs. "You can cure GERD by giving up
    X" - well, what is it worth to give up X?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.