The Age article on web site

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by MikeyOz, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    Just read this, still digesting it, I think you need to be able to handle LARGE doses of sarcasm.

    http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/join-the-bike-nazi-party/2005/08/25/1124562975946.html

    Tags:

  2. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    not much different to the way we speak about 4wds. :eek: ;)

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Speaking of sarcasm, TISM once said of Jimbo, words to the effect of, 'who the fcuk is Jim Schembri and what exactly went wrong with his penis at birth'. Or something like that.

    Or you can read a more choice critique of Jimbo right here:
    http://www.tism.com.au/ARTICLES/DRMpressrelease.html

    From 'Morrison Hostel',
    By Christ you've got a long long way, On a schoolboy's talent with words -
    One crappy bit of symbolism, And you're adored by a army of turds.

  4. Jim is an idiot. I dont know how he managed to score such
    a good gig.
    I find his writing self-serving and highly irritating.

    Saw him once at a science "hypothetical" with Douglas
    Adams and he came across as whiney and grandstanding.

    I for one would be happy if he stopped writing altogether.
    Actually, I wouldnt notice cos I now skip all articles written by him.

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    I love Jim Schembri.
    His movie reviews are always spot on.
    If he thinks a movie is great I can reliably expect it to be a turkey
    and if he thinks it stinks its usally worth seeing.

    wonder what brought on his infantile little drivel???

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Dunno, possible Schembri had a brainfart. Rather tasteless, considering what occured in Collingwood yesterday.

  7. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    I have a friend who works at the Age might see if I can get her to slip something into his coffee...... maybe a dose of reality.... I used to work there as well! I could have slipped him something.

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Hmmm, seriously now, the incident in Collingwood occurred midday yesterday. Editorial staff/whatever could of pulled the article & published it next week. Or not at all. Surely newspapers must have 'standby' articles just in case. But then again, The Glasshouse (ABC TV) was broadcast with several shark attack jokes the day that poor man was taken off Adelaide. Possibly just shit timing. :mad:

  9. HUMBUG

    HUMBUG Guest

    On 26/08/05 at 09:55:17 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:

    <snip>

    > wonder what brought on his infantile little drivel???

    Probably the same sort of thing that unleashed his "anti-pram" tirade a
    few weeks ago. The man's a prat.

    --
    Humbug

  10. dtmeister

    dtmeister Guest

    HUMBUG <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 26/08/05 at 09:55:17 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> wonder what brought on his infantile little drivel???

    > Probably the same sort of thing that unleashed his "anti-pram" tirade a
    > few weeks ago. The man's a prat.

    He made anti-pram comments? He's claims to be a fscking author of
    childrens books!

    --
    ..dt
    1996 Diamond Back 'Expert Tg' Roadie (7spd DT shifters, favourite bike!)

  11. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Put it down to trendy post-modern cynicism. It's the New Black. :D

  12. HUMBUG

    HUMBUG Guest

    On 26/08/05 at 12:05:13 dtmeister somehow managed to type:

    > HUMBUG <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > On 26/08/05 at 09:55:17 flyingdutch somehow managed to type:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >> wonder what brought on his infantile little drivel???

    > > Probably the same sort of thing that unleashed his "anti-pram"
    > > tirade a few weeks ago. The man's a prat.

    > He made anti-pram comments?

    Sure did - http://tinyurl.com/bcbv9 or
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/brace-thyselves-for-pram-wars/2005
    /06/30/1119724750525.html

    --
    Humbug

  13. dave

    dave Guest

    warrwych wrote:
    > MikeyOz Wrote:
    >
    >>Just read this, still digesting it, I think you need to be able to
    >>handle LARGE doses of sarcasm.
    >>

    >>http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/join-the-bike-nazi-party/2005/08/25/1124562975946.html

    > not much different to the way we speak about 4wds. :eek: ;)

    So I was going thru the surveilence tapes of our carpark today.
    (apparently in search of true love one of our dressmakers dummys has run
    away but thats another story

    Believe me if I sent some of the tape to vic roads with a statement such
    as ¨ I am sure this driver is legally blind¨ vic roads would send them a
    please explain. I mean 7 goes to get into a parking spot in an almost
    empty car park :)

  14. neuroinf

    neuroinf Guest

    This is what I sent to "letters" at the Age:

    Of course as a cyclist, I am offended by the "opinion" piece (Shembri)
    on cyclists. Now that we can't ridicule races, or religions, it seems
    that it is ok to ridicule those who choose to say no to the steel cage.

    The characterisation of Melbourne cyclists is far from accurate. I
    suspect that he wrote this somewhere across the Internet, where he has
    run out of funds and was desperate to get payment for one article. Hey,
    Jim, you ought to visit sometime, there are no bicycle couriers in
    Melbourne anymore. The simple fact (in Melbourne) is that 99% of
    cyclists, and 99% of motorists are (thankfully) very well behaved
    towards each other. We don't read about that in the media: what sort of
    a story would that make: civilisation breaks out all over?

    Having said that, I kept a count last week at every red light I saw. It
    took five days before I saw a red light where there was not at least
    one car running the red light. You car drivers are crazy, man.

    I could complain about the trivialisation of the word "Nazi", and I
    could complain about the ridicule, but mostly I complain about the
    complete lack of writing talent that this opinion piece shows. Wherever
    you are Mr Shembri, do us a favour, stay there and give up writing.

  15. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Just like Angela Shanahan, now with the Canberra Times. A different rant every week, poor research and general incompetence --> contraversy which is what these twits are being paid for. I've stopped buying the Saturday Times because she's in it.

  16. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "neuroinf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > This is what I sent to "letters" at the Age:
    >
    > Of course as a cyclist, I am offended by the "opinion" piece (Shembri)
    > on cyclists. Now that we can't ridicule races, or religions, it seems
    > that it is ok to ridicule those who choose to say no to the steel cage.
    >

    > The characterisation of Melbourne cyclists is far from accurate. I
    > suspect that he wrote this somewhere across the Internet, where he has
    > run out of funds and was desperate to get payment for one article. Hey,
    > Jim, you ought to visit sometime, there are no bicycle couriers in
    > Melbourne anymore. The simple fact (in Melbourne) is that 99% of
    > cyclists, and 99% of motorists are (thankfully) very well behaved
    > towards each other. We don't read about that in the media: what sort of
    > a story would that make: civilisation breaks out all over?
    >
    > Having said that, I kept a count last week at every red light I saw. It
    > took five days before I saw a red light where there was not at least
    > one car running the red light. You car drivers are crazy, man.
    >
    > I could complain about the trivialisation of the word "Nazi", and I
    > could complain about the ridicule, but mostly I complain about the
    > complete lack of writing talent that this opinion piece shows. Wherever
    > you are Mr Shembri, do us a favour, stay there and give up writing.

    Not that I think it was a good article (I wrote a letter too) but there are,
    in fact, plenty of couriers in Melbourne.

  17. Kim

    Kim Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > dtmeister Wrote:
    > > He made anti-pram comments? He's claims to be a fscking author of
    > > childrens books!

    > Put it down to trendy post-modern cynicism.

    i thought is was actually untalented, unsatisfied and uninterested.
    (and lonely)

    > It's the New Black. :D

    there is no such thing as the "new black"!

    black never went into fasion, therefore black never went out of fasion.
    anyone that tells you otherwise is probably a fasion victim and uses it
    as an excuse to justify their wardrobe "makeover" every season.

    black is a perfectly sensible colour for a wardrobe (and its contents).

    kim

  18. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    A sensible letter (imho) about the article got into print this morning:

    'Nazi' is not a word to be used lightly

    When I saw Jim Schembri's article "The Bike Nazi Party" in Friday's Age (Metro, 25/8), I read on with concern. I presumed that it would be a discussion of the hitherto undocumented existence of a neo-fascist group of bike riders bent on immortalising the superior genes of the Aryan race, and advocating mass murder and political mayhem.
    I was horrified to realise that Schembri had used the term, "Nazi Party" in a light-hearted article discussing the often annoying, but far from homicidal, antics of Melbourne's lycra-clad bike brigade. "We all yearn to be unshackled from convention"? Is that what motivated the Nazis? Boy, did they ever unleash the inner beast. How about "we all wish to herd millions of innocents into gas ovens"?

    I am not a reactionary; quite the opposite. However, it seems grossly insensitive and irresponsible to allow the term "Nazi" to formally enter the vernacular as a term of jest.

    While Jewish comedians such as Mel Brooks have used comedy to undermine Hitler's legacy very effectively and appropriately, they do so in context and with a sense of history. However, to use the term "Nazi" as Schembri has done removes it from its terrible origins. In an attention-deficient age when history is something that happened last week, respected and skilled writers such as Jim Schembri could use their voices to remind our society what the Nazi Party really stood for, and the terrible legacy it left us.

    In a very real sense, Hitler's repulsive campaign directly led to the current wave of terror and fear that is engulfing the world. We should never forget what he did.
    Meaghan Wilson-Anastasios, St Kilda East

    http://www.theage.com.au/letters/index.html

    cheers,
    ali

  19. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    The title says it all really.

  20. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Exactly. Also, it was an appalling lack of judgement by The Age running the article in the same edition that reported the tragic death of that young man in Collingwood. Schembri's certainly no John Birmingham or Tim Winton.