The Age: Police warning for iPod users

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by daveL, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. daveL

    daveL Guest

    Police warning for iPod users

    By Ben Schneiders
    February 15, 2006 - 3:59PM

    Police have warned that cyclists should never listen to an iPod while
    riding unless they have a death wish.

    "If you're a cyclist and you want to stay alive, I wouldn't wear an iPod
    under any circumstances," Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby
    told theage.com.au this afternoon.

    Assistant Commissioner Ashby said police were seeing increasing numbers
    of people using iPods on bikes, while walking and even while driving a car.

    "They're becoming increasingly popular and there's no issue with that
    but the point remains you cannot hear what is around you," he said.

    "People that have been brought up their whole life relying on a whole
    range of human senses and if one's removed they are at a significant
    disadvantage."

    The alert comes after a 32 year-old Australian woman was knocked off her
    bicycle and killed in London. Friends said she may have been killed as
    she couldn't hear traffic noise over her iPod.

    A friend of Ms McMillan's told London's Evening Standard she may still
    be alive if she hadn't been listening to her iPod.

    "She was obsessed by that thing," he said.

    Mr Ashby said the small size and large playlists of iPods meant they
    were being used in different ways to CD walkmans.

    "It was unusual to see people using walkmans on bikes and the reason is
    the iPod can store 400 to 500 songs," he said.

    But he said that people needed to take responsibility for themselves,
    rather than relying on extra regulation.

    "I really do think it's an awareness thing. I think we really need to
    think very seriously about over-regulating, there's a whole range of
    behaviours in life that people simply have to be careful in the way they
    live their lives and the way they conduct themselves."

    He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
    commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your hands.
    You're taking a huge risk," he said. "People have just got to take some
    responsibility."

    Assistant Commissioner Ashby said there was a number of distractions
    that commuters should be aware of, including sms messaging, smoking,
    loud CDs and the playing of DVDs in cars, which is illegal.

    "Anything that distracts drivers' attention is bad because you won't see
    a pedestrian, you won't see a cyclist or - even worse - you will go
    through an intersection and kill yourself and others."

    Apple did not return theage.com.au's calls.

    --
    daveL

    Tags:

  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-15, daveL (aka Bruce)
    > "Anything that distracts drivers' attention is bad because you won't see
    > a pedestrian, you won't see a cyclist or - even worse - you will go
    > through an intersection and kill yourself and others."

    "You will kill a cyclist, or even worse, another car driver!"

    --
    TimC
    When the revolution comes, we'll need a longer wall. -- Tom De Mulder

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as fecking annoying. :mad:

  4. Trevor_S

    Trevor_S Guest

    daveL <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    <snip>

    > But he said that people needed to take responsibility for themselves,
    > rather than relying on extra regulation.
    >
    > "I really do think it's an awareness thing. I think we really need to
    > think very seriously about over-regulating, there's a whole range of
    > behaviours in life that people simply have to be careful in the way

    Good lord, what an innovate concept, especially from a traffic cop. How's
    about we roll back some of the 1000s of other bits of inane pieces of over
    zealous legisaltion.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

  5. daveL

    daveL Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-02-15, daveL (aka Bruce) was almost, but not quite, entirely
    > unlike tea:
    >> "Anything that distracts drivers' attention is bad because you
    >> won't see a pedestrian, you won't see a cyclist or - even worse -
    >> you will go through an intersection and kill yourself and others."

    > "You will kill a cyclist, or even worse, another car driver!"

    Heh, I also like that the entire article seems to be based on "Friends"
    opinion that "she may have been killed as she couldn't hear traffic
    noise over her iPod" and that "A friend of Ms McMillan's told London's
    Evening Standard she may still be alive if she hadn't been listening to
    her iPod."

    How does the friend know that? We don't have any actual information that
    the accident had anything to do with the iPod, or even that it was on.

    She might still be alive if she never left the house in the first place?
    Good grrief. She might still be alive if the driver that hit her had
    never been born. Might. Might. Might.

    --
    daveL

  6. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    TimC wrote:

    > On 2006-02-15, daveL (aka Bruce)
    > > "Anything that distracts drivers' attention is bad because you won't see
    > > a pedestrian, you won't see a cyclist or - even worse - you will go
    > > through an intersection and kill yourself and others."

    > "You will kill a cyclist, or even worse, another car driver!"

    You could kill a whole mob of cyclists... the bastards ride around in
    bunches. Fortunately, you'd only get one person in a car...

    Tam

  7. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    daveL wrote:

    > TimC wrote:
    > > On 2006-02-15, daveL (aka Bruce) was almost, but not quite, entirely
    > > unlike tea:
    > >> "Anything that distracts drivers' attention is bad because you
    > >> won't see a pedestrian, you won't see a cyclist or - even worse -
    > >> you will go through an intersection and kill yourself and others."

    > > "You will kill a cyclist, or even worse, another car driver!"
    > >

    > Heh, I also like that the entire article seems to be based on "Friends"
    > opinion that "she may have been killed as she couldn't hear traffic
    > noise over her iPod" and that "A friend of Ms McMillan's told London's
    > Evening Standard she may still be alive if she hadn't been listening to
    > her iPod."
    >
    > How does the friend know that? We don't have any actual information that
    > the accident had anything to do with the iPod, or even that it was on.
    >
    > She might still be alive if she never left the house in the first place?
    > Good grrief. She might still be alive if the driver that hit her had
    > never been born. Might. Might. Might.

    Her friend must clearly be an expert on the topic for the media to be
    taking such an interest in the friend's comments... *rolls eyes*

    Tam

  8. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-02-15, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > daveL Wrote:
    >>
    >> "I really do think it's an awareness thing. I think we really need to
    >> think very seriously about over-regulating, there's a whole range of
    >> behaviours in life that people simply have to be careful in the way
    >> they
    >> live their lives and the way they conduct themselves."
    >>
    >> He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
    >> commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your
    >> hands.
    >> You're taking a huge risk," he said. "People have just got to take
    >> some
    >> responsibility."

    > Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing
    > cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as
    > fecking annoying. :mad:

    Coming to the Fully Sick ride on Friday night, Lygon st?

    Bikes, loud fully sick music, fuzzy dice, should be fun :)xs

    --
    TimC
    I hate mornings. I know they hate me back, too. -- Joel Gluth

  9. dave

    dave Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > daveL Wrote:
    >
    >>"I really do think it's an awareness thing. I think we really need to
    >>think very seriously about over-regulating, there's a whole range of
    >>behaviours in life that people simply have to be careful in the way
    >>they
    >>live their lives and the way they conduct themselves."
    >>
    >>He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
    >>commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your
    >>hands.
    >>You're taking a huge risk," he said. "People have just got to take
    >>some
    >>responsibility."

    > Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing
    > cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as
    > fecking annoying. :mad:

    Its up to the person surely. I should think hearing traffic noise
    wouldnt be a problem. Might even be a plus

    Mind you I watched a very non aware cyclist in a bunch go down while
    wearing an iPod last year. Two guys in front clipped and went down and
    she plowed straight into them.. I just missed her. She said the same
    thing had happened a week earlier

    Triathlete tho

    Dave

  10. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    dave wrote:
    <snip>
    > Mind you I watched a very non aware cyclist in a bunch go down while
    > wearing an iPod last year. Two guys in front clipped and went down and
    > she plowed straight into them.. I just missed her. She said the same
    > thing had happened a week earlier
    >
    > Triathlete tho

    Now there's some shining social skills. Sit in a bunch, wheelsuck, but
    don't chat, oh no, listen to your iPod instead...

    Tam

  11. dave

    dave Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > dave wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Mind you I watched a very non aware cyclist in a bunch go down while
    >>wearing an iPod last year. Two guys in front clipped and went down and
    >>she plowed straight into them.. I just missed her. She said the same
    >>thing had happened a week earlier
    >>
    >>Triathlete tho

    > Now there's some shining social skills. Sit in a bunch, wheelsuck, but
    > don't chat, oh no, listen to your iPod instead...
    >
    > Tam

    Yeah sort of what I thought actually. I said Hi.. was ignored.
    Seem to recall she was pretty with fresh scabs... but can;t say I really
    noticed. Still Joggers.. Triathletes... not really social animals :)

    Dave

  12. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    dave wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > > dave wrote:
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >>Mind you I watched a very non aware cyclist in a bunch go down while
    > >>wearing an iPod last year. Two guys in front clipped and went down and
    > >>she plowed straight into them.. I just missed her. She said the same
    > >>thing had happened a week earlier
    > >>
    > >>Triathlete tho

    > > Now there's some shining social skills. Sit in a bunch, wheelsuck, but
    > > don't chat, oh no, listen to your iPod instead...
    > >
    > > Tam

    > Yeah sort of what I thought actually. I said Hi.. was ignored.
    > Seem to recall she was pretty with fresh scabs... but can;t say I really
    > noticed. Still Joggers.. Triathletes... not really social animals :)
    >
    > Dave

    Oh, I agree entirely. Who wants to talk?

    Tam (who took the opportunity to dance when the Locomotion played during
    the 12 hour run..., and made the spectators discuss the virtues of
    Vegemite sangers...)

  13. daveL <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Police warning for iPod users
    >
    > By Ben Schneiders
    > February 15, 2006 - 3:59PM
    >
    > Police have warned that cyclists should never listen to an iPod while
    > riding unless they have a death wish.
    >
    > "If you're a cyclist and you want to stay alive, I wouldn't wear an iPod
    > under any circumstances," Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby
    > told theage.com.au this afternoon.

    On the subject of music and vehicles, I was wandering through a car
    wrecker's yard one day and came across a vehicle that looked like it
    must have gone underneath a semi-trailer. The roof was just about fully
    caved in, the dash was up near the front seat. Not much chance of
    survival. I noticed a cassette sticking out of the player and reached in
    to see what it was: an album of Christian music with memorable numbers
    such as "When Jesus Is With Me, I'll Be Safe". I'd say avoid any form of
    Christian music unless you have a death wish.

    Peter

    BTW What's the current status of St Christopher statues?

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  14. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:10:04 +0000, daveL wrote:

    > He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
    > commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your hands.

    I need to find the photo of me trying to do a handstand atop the middle of
    the 3 sisters. Life's too short to wear cotton wool.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Love wouldn't be blind if the braille wasn't so damned much fun.

  15. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Bunches are different. I never use the radio when in a bunch.
    The verbal calls are too important for bunch safety.

  16. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Does that also included Radio National? :eek:

  17. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > daveL Wrote:
    > >
    > > "I really do think it's an awareness thing. I think we really need to
    > > think very seriously about over-regulating, there's a whole range of
    > > behaviours in life that people simply have to be careful in the way
    > > they
    > > live their lives and the way they conduct themselves."
    > >
    > > He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
    > > commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your
    > > hands.
    > > You're taking a huge risk," he said. "People have just got to take
    > > some
    > > responsibility."

    > Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing
    > cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as
    > fecking annoying. :mad:

    I use them (mp3 players) on a velodrone when doing intervals, and also
    on long country rides on my own. I don't have them up loud enough to
    cover traffic noises and thus far have not been suprised by traffic (or
    anything else!) because of an inability to hear them.

    As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
    it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
    st doofing away may be pains in the arse and annoying wankers, but
    they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
    coming :)

  18. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    Sorry to say, but I think that whole article is a bunch of shvt. It's up to the individual to CHOOSE if they ride with music or not... and if so, they can govern how loud they have it.
    I commute once a week and would go insane without my ipod! For the 30.5kms to and from work, can't go wrong. Obviously, the music is not blaring and I can clearly hear traffic and of course, abuse dished out by tradies along the way.
    Riding in this morning I had the white plugs in and could hear everyword of a tradie warning me that they were going to turn left up ahead... yes, the shock horror of not being abused!!!

    cheers,
    Bill

  19. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Bleve wrote:

    > I use them (mp3 players) on a velodrone when doing intervals, and also
    > on long country rides on my own. I don't have them up loud enough to
    > cover traffic noises and thus far have not been suprised by traffic (or
    > anything else!) because of an inability to hear them.
    >
    > As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
    > it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
    > st doofing away may be pains in the arse and annoying wankers, but
    > they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
    > coming :)

    I only started usign one a couple of weeks ago and have found I enjoy
    using it on the commute into work but not on the way home. I only have
    it just loud enough to hear, but with the increased traffic on the way
    home I find a lose a bit of an edge so only use it on the way in now.

    As for long country rides, I go by the words of the great sage Darryl
    Kerrigan and "feel the serenity". Besides, on a BR I wouldn't hear
    anything over the noise of my breathing.

    DaveB

  20. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009

    I hope this is another case of journalistic reporting, cos this article is a crock of shyte (which indicates it probably is solid journalism) - where to start????

    1) cos an ipod holds 400 - 500 songs and a cd 17-20, an ipod is more dangerous (do the earpod leads slowly wrap themselves around your neck and strangle you??)??? do you get musicked to death???

    2) hand stands on the roof - how the hell am I meant to do that when my feet are still locked into my pedals???

    3) I have yet to see a commuter smoking

    4) going thru intersections can kill you?????

    I reckon our Aussie sheila died whilst trying to lasso the truck with her earplug cords.