The Age: Police warning for iPod users

DaveB wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> >
> > I use them (mp3 players) on a velodrone when doing intervals, and also
> > on long country rides on my own. I don't have them up loud enough to
> > cover traffic noises and thus far have not been suprised by traffic (or
> > anything else!) because of an inability to hear them.
> >
> > As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
> > it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
> > st doofing away may be pains in the **** and annoying wankers, but
> > they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
> > coming :)
> >

> I only started usign one a couple of weeks ago and have found I enjoy
> using it on the commute into work but not on the way home. I only have
> it just loud enough to hear, but with the increased traffic on the way
> home I find a lose a bit of an edge so only use it on the way in now.
>
> As for long country rides, I go by the words of the great sage Darryl
> Kerrigan and "feel the serenity". Besides, on a BR I wouldn't hear
> anything over the noise of my breathing.

I'm talking 4 hours plus, when one's own company and inner monologue
tends to get rather more abstract than I'm comfortable with!

warrwych wrote:

> 3) I have yet to see a commuter smoking

For the same reason that people get low fat icecreams and waffle cones
I guess, I've seen commuting cyclists smoking.

> 4) going thru intersections can kill you?????

you bet! If there's a missile coming the other way!

Bleve said:
warrwych wrote:

> 3) I have yet to see a commuter smoking

For the same reason that people get low fat icecreams and waffle cones
I guess, I've seen commuting cyclists smoking.

> 4) going thru intersections can kill you?????

you bet! If there's a missile coming the other way!

or skinny lattes with their cake?? ( I do it for the taste!).

I had an image of entering an intersection and being "fried" instantly by some mysterious killing force hehe :D , as opposed to the obvious...

On 2006-02-15, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
> it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
> st doofing away may be pains in the **** and annoying wankers, but
> they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
> coming :)

I want to obtain the song "sick mate, sick, subwoofer" for tomorrow
night's fully sick ride. If only I was leet in the bittorrent
department.

Taking the **** out of fully sick guys on Lygon st will be fun.

--
TimC
'Vegetarian' -- it's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'.

TimC wrote:
> On 2006-02-15, Bleve (aka Bruce)
> > As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
> > it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
> > st doofing away may be pains in the **** and annoying wankers, but
> > they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
> > coming :)

> I want to obtain the song "sick mate, sick, subwoofer" for tomorrow
> night's fully sick ride. If only I was leet in the bittorrent
> department.
>

> Taking the **** out of fully sick guys on Lygon st will be fun.

But they *are* dangerous if you embarras them in front of their target
audience.

Be careful.

Bleve said:

> Taking the **** out of fully sick guys on Lygon st will be fun.[/color]

But they *are* dangerous if you embarras them in front of their target
audience.

Be careful.

There are enough intersections on Lygon Street... ;)

Bleve wrote:

> But they *are* dangerous if you embarras them in front of their target
> audience.
>
> Be careful.

Speakign of embarassing wankers, as I cycled past a bus stop with a
group of school boys (16 yo's or thereabouts) today one decided to run
out and scream at me to give me a scare. Couldn't stop or pull over
immediately because of heavy traffic but managed to swing around and
come back to them eventually. Asked which one was the hero and got
stunned silence as six brave schoolboys hang their heads in silence.
Gave them an earful about being little boys without any guts, and
continued on my way. Hopefully they may re-consider next time.

DaveB

DaveB said:
Speakign of embarassing wankers, as I cycled past a bus stop with a
group of school boys (16 yo's or thereabouts) today one decided to run
out and scream at me to give me a scare. Couldn't stop or pull over
immediately because of heavy traffic but managed to swing around and
come back to them eventually. Asked which one was the hero and got
stunned silence as six brave schoolboys hang their heads in silence.
Gave them an earful about being little boys without any guts, and
continued on my way. Hopefully they may re-consider next time.

DaveB

That kid obviously had too much nutragrain for breakfast!

cfsmtb wrote:
> daveL Wrote:
>
>>"I really do think it's an awareness thing. I think we really need to
>>think very seriously about over-regulating, there's a whole range of
>>behaviours in life that people simply have to be careful in the way
>>they
>>live their lives and the way they conduct themselves."
>>
>>He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
>>commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your
>>hands.
>>You're taking a huge risk," he said. "People have just got to take
>>some
>>responsibility."

> Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing
> cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as
> fecking annoying. :mad:

Do you dislike seeing deaf cyclists too? ;)

If you could tell they were deaf, that is.

--
Nick

NoZX6R wrote:

> cfsmtb wrote:

<snip>
> > Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing
> > cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as
> > fecking annoying. :mad:

> Do you dislike seeing deaf cyclists too? ;)
>
> If you could tell they were deaf, that is.

I think we've all, at some stage, tried to yell to someone that we're
passing, and had nil reaction. If they had earphones, I'd guess they
were not deaf, just not very aware. If it was Lotte, I'd be wrong (but
then she's plenty aware).

:D Be safe, people.

Tam

DaveB wrote:

> Speakign of embarassing wankers, as I cycled past a bus stop with a
> group of school boys (16 yo's or thereabouts) today one decided to run
> out and scream at me to give me a scare. Couldn't stop or pull over
> immediately because of heavy traffic but managed to swing around and
> come back to them eventually. Asked which one was the hero and got
> stunned silence as six brave schoolboys hang their heads in silence.
> Gave them an earful about being little boys without any guts, and
> continued on my way. Hopefully they may re-consider next time.

Had that happen to me many years ago on the motorbike. They were having a
great laugh amongst themselves about it and didn't notice me until I stopped
beside them on the footpath. They looked a little subdued when I left. :)

Theo

Bean Long wrote:

> My 2 cents... I've had plenty of issues recently with other bike
> commuters as I try to pass them in traffic. I shout "passing" to them
> but they don't hear me cos they have their plugs in! I'm forced to
> stop or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid ***** is singing
> "la de da" with his ipod shoved up his ****! Most of these people
> have drive trains that sound like they've never been cleaned but they
> have clearly never heard the noise. Mark me down as an open ear
> commuter.

Hoo! You sound just like a car driver.

Theo

Tamyka Bell said:
I think we've all, at some stage, tried to yell to someone that we're passing, and had nil reaction. If they had earphones, I'd guess they
were not deaf, just not very aware. If it was Lotte, I'd be wrong (but then she's plenty aware).
But Tam, people never announce when they're passing anymore. That's so 1998. I'm not aware. I'm ****ing paranoid.

I'm not sure I should attend the ride tomorrow morning - last week I started to really get the ***** with other cyclists passing without calling it first and I fear that tomorrow I'll lose it.

Lotte

P.S. For those of you who are truly ignorant and would tell me to wear my hearing aids when riding, well I do if I'm riding with Tam and the others, but it's not something I like doing as it damages them considerably. At $4000 for a basic pair, I'm not about to waste them.

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:19:08 +1100, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:

>My 2 cents... I've had plenty of issues recently with other bike
>commuters as I try to pass them in traffic. I shout "passing" to them
>but they don't hear me cos they have their plugs in! I'm forced to stop
>or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid ***** is singing "la de
>da" with his ipod shoved up his ****! Most of these people have drive
>trains that sound like they've never been cleaned but they have clearly
>never heard the noise. Mark me down as an open ear commuter.

There are plenty of riders just like that who don't wear ear phones.
Zero awareness. Pedestrians on bikes.

The ones who really **** me off ride the onroad bikelanes the WRONG WAY.
Its a road lane, not a shared path.
Sometimes its understandable - turning right onto Melrose at the wonderbout
requires a high level of traffic confidence.
I was seriously ****** at a guy riding on Ginninderra east of Haydon Drive.
But thinking about it, where do you get onto the path from Haydon around there.
I haven't a clue, there aren't any signs.
However, riding the wrong way on Northbourne, right next to the footpath
(100% legal for all cyclists in the ACT) is inexcusable. AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!

Andre

Aeek wrote:

> The ones who really **** me off ride the onroad bikelanes the WRONG WAY.
> Its a road lane, not a shared path.
> Sometimes its understandable - turning right onto Melrose at the wonderbout
> requires a high level of traffic confidence.
> I was seriously ****** at a guy riding on Ginninderra east of Haydon Drive.
> But thinking about it, where do you get onto the path from Haydon around there.
> I haven't a clue, there aren't any signs.
> However, riding the wrong way on Northbourne, right next to the footpath
> (100% legal for all cyclists in the ACT) is inexcusable. AAAAAAAAAAGH!!!
>
> Andre

Oh yeah... Adelaide ave once a week I see some **** riding towards me
going the wrong way in a bike lane. Usually around the Lodge. They
never respond to my comments. Maybe they need to get a good whack
before they wake up!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>
>> My 2 cents... I've had plenty of issues recently with other bike
>> commuters as I try to pass them in traffic. I shout "passing" to them
>> but they don't hear me cos they have their plugs in! I'm forced to
>> stop or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid ***** is singing
>> "la de da" with his ipod shoved up his ****! Most of these people
>> have drive trains that sound like they've never been cleaned but they
>> have clearly never heard the noise. Mark me down as an open ear
>> commuter.

> Hoo! You sound just like a car driver.
>
> Theo

Funny that... I DO drive a car occasionally!

--
Bean "My other car is a bike"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

> My 2 cents... I've had plenty of issues recently with other bike
> commuters as I try to pass them in traffic. I shout "passing" to them
> but they don't hear me cos they have their plugs in! I'm forced to stop
> or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid ***** is singing "la de
> da" with his ipod shoved up his ****! Most of these people have drive
> trains that sound like they've never been cleaned but they have clearly
> never heard the noise. Mark me down as an open ear commuter.

You shout "passing"? What do you expect the person in front to do.. pull
over for you?

If you want to go past, work it out for yourself. I don't need bells,
yells, or other such **** to overtake peds, cars, or cyclists.

Jules wrote:

> > My 2 cents... I've had plenty of issues recently with other bike
> > commuters as I try to pass them in traffic. I shout "passing" to them
> > but they don't hear me cos they have their plugs in! I'm forced to stop
> > or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid ***** is singing "la de
> > da" with his ipod shoved up his ****! Most of these people have drive
> > trains that sound like they've never been cleaned but they have clearly
> > never heard the noise. Mark me down as an open ear commuter.

> You shout "passing"? What do you expect the person in front to do.. pull
> over for you?
>
> If you want to go past, work it out for yourself. I don't need bells,
> yells, or other such **** to overtake peds, cars, or cyclists.

Is that a troll?

If a cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane, as we often do to
avoid having car drivers squish us into the kerb, it is not unreasonable
to expect them to pull further left as a cyclist pasts. It is perfectly
legal and safe to ride two abreast and it is not a hindrance to the
cyclist being passed (unless there is glass or something). If it is
unsafe to pass, they can also tell you so.

If you try to get past without calling, you may startle them, or even
cause an accident if they were, for example, veering further right in
the lane to avoid glass or similar.

Any cyclist who begrudges shifting slightly left in the lane to allow
another cyclist to pass safely without having to change lanes into other
traffic sounds like a bit of a ********, and I wouldn't give him/her a
spare tube if they flatted, or even a 20c patch.

Tam

Jules wrote:

> You shout "passing"? What do you expect the person in front to do.. pull
> over for you?
>
> If you want to go past, work it out for yourself. I don't need bells,
> yells, or other such **** to overtake peds, cars, or cyclists.

Sure... no problem. Common courtesy is a good thing too though. And
yes... people DO pull over to let me pass, and I thank them for it.

--
Bean "not quite the ***** you might think I am"

Tamyka Bell wrote:

>> If you want to go past, work it out for yourself. I don't need bells,
>> yells, or other such **** to overtake peds, cars, or cyclists.

> Is that a troll?

> Any cyclist who begrudges shifting slightly left in the lane to allow
> another cyclist to pass safely without having to change lanes into other
> traffic sounds like a bit of a ********, and I wouldn't give him/her a
> spare tube if they flatted, or even a 20c patch.
>
> Tam

Thank you Tam. I feel a little cooler under the collar now :) You can
pass me anytime (I'm sure you wouldn't have to try very hard!)

--
Bean "struggling to pass anyone lately"

Remove "yourfinger" before replying