The Age: Police warning for iPod users

"Tamyka Bell" wrote
> If a cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane, as we often do to
> avoid having car drivers squish us into the kerb, it is not

unreasonable
> to expect them to pull further left as a cyclist pasts. It is

perfectly
> legal and safe to ride two abreast and it is not a hindrance to the
> cyclist being passed (unless there is glass or something). If it is
> unsafe to pass, they can also tell you so.
>
> If you try to get past without calling, you may startle them, or

even
> cause an accident if they were, for example, veering further right

in
> the lane to avoid glass or similar.
>
> Any cyclist who begrudges shifting slightly left in the lane to

allow
> another cyclist to pass safely without having to change lanes into

other
> traffic sounds like a bit of a ********, and I wouldn't give him/her

> spare tube if they flatted, or even a 20c patch.

I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
using the horn. :)

Theo

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
> > If a cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane, as we often do to
> > avoid having car drivers squish us into the kerb, it is not

> unreasonable
> > to expect them to pull further left as a cyclist pasts. It is

> perfectly
> > legal and safe to ride two abreast and it is not a hindrance to the
> > cyclist being passed (unless there is glass or something). If it is
> > unsafe to pass, they can also tell you so.
> >
> > If you try to get past without calling, you may startle them, or

> even
> > cause an accident if they were, for example, veering further right

> in
> > the lane to avoid glass or similar.
> >
> > Any cyclist who begrudges shifting slightly left in the lane to

> allow
> > another cyclist to pass safely without having to change lanes into

> other
> > traffic sounds like a bit of a ********, and I wouldn't give him/her

> > spare tube if they flatted, or even a 20c patch.

> I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
> using the horn. :)
>
> Theo

Sure he/she should, if planning on passing within the same lane, where
legal to do so. Although that would more equate to a cyclist ringing a
bell, wouldn't it?

:p

Tam

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
>> If a cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane, as we often do to
>> avoid having car drivers squish us into the kerb, it is not

> unreasonable
>> to expect them to pull further left as a cyclist pasts. It is

> perfectly
>> legal and safe to ride two abreast and it is not a hindrance to the
>> cyclist being passed (unless there is glass or something). If it is
>> unsafe to pass, they can also tell you so.
>>
>> If you try to get past without calling, you may startle them, or

> even
>> cause an accident if they were, for example, veering further right

> in
>> the lane to avoid glass or similar.
>>
>> Any cyclist who begrudges shifting slightly left in the lane to

> allow
>> another cyclist to pass safely without having to change lanes into

> other
>> traffic sounds like a bit of a ********, and I wouldn't give him/her

>> spare tube if they flatted, or even a 20c patch.

> I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
> using the horn. :)
>
> Theo

Well... if they're driving one of those Toyota Prius's maybe... they're
dead quiet from all reports. I tend to hear most cars/buses/trucks
coming from behind. It's those slick racers with well-oiled gears I
never hear :)

Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to avoid
being flattened?

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long wrote:
<snip>
> Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to avoid
> being flattened?

LotteBum uses shoulder checks.

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
LotteBum uses shoulder checks.
That's only when I'm riding alongside someone else, because I'm paranoid about either of us getting wiped out. When I ride on my own, it's iPod on and away I go. I've always used headphones, reason being that when I don't, I don't hear trucks until they're about 1 metre behind me and so far, I have found it better to not know they're coming at all (ie. I can ride in a straight line without worrying) than scrambling into the gutter every time I hear a truck.

Lotte

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
> using the horn. :)
>
> Theo

shudder ... don't laugh, used to know someone who would use the horn as
they passed each side street just in case someone was coming out. Glad I
never suffered the embarassment of being in the car with them.

DaveB

> I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
> using the horn. :)

> Theo

Nah thats rude. Just like dinging a bell can be

A pleasant "passing" is fine.

And to the turkey who dinged and shot past me as I slowed for the ped
who was walking in circles on Gardiners Creek yesterday.
Wasnt a bright idea was it? And when I passed you again.. you couldnt
hang on. ******

Dave

percrime wrote:

> > I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
> > using the horn. :)

> > Theo

> Nah thats rude. Just like dinging a bell can be
>
> A pleasant "passing" is fine.
>
> And to the turkey who dinged and shot past me as I slowed for the ped
> who was walking in circles on Gardiners Creek yesterday.
> Wasnt a bright idea was it? And when I passed you again.. you couldnt
> hang on. ******
>
> Dave

That was a powerful point. I like how you made it twice ;-)

"******" is an excellent diagnosis of that person.

Tam

:) Indeed. And Google groups does indeed suck. Soon I will
investigate other options for posting from work. But at this exact
moment I have a computer and a bicycle wheel to build..

:)

Beer.. WHat I really need is beer

Dave

"Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bean Long wrote:
> <snip>
>> Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to avoid
>> being flattened?

> LotteBum uses shoulder checks.
>
> Tam

So do I, and I'm far from deaf. I ceratinly pay attention to aural cues, but
it's a crowded environment. Looking around is crucial.

Resound wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Bean Long wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to avoid
> >> being flattened?

> > LotteBum uses shoulder checks.
> >
> > Tam

> So do I, and I'm far from deaf. I ceratinly pay attention to aural cues, but
> it's a crowded environment. Looking around is crucial.

Ditto. To the point where it becomes habit and I look silly in a crit.

Tam

"Tamyka Bell" wrote

> Sure he/she should, if planning on passing within the same lane,

where
> legal to do so. Although that would more equate to a cyclist

ringing a
> bell, wouldn't it?

Yes. And a bell actually makes more sense to me than yelling
"passing".

Theo

"Bean Long" wrote

> Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to

avoid
> being flattened?

I am not terribly concerned with being run over from behind. I think
it is the responsibility of the person behind to avoid me, not mine to
avoid/get out of their way. The law agrees with me.

Theo

"Tamyka Bell" wrote
> Bean Long wrote:
> <snip>
> > Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to

avoid
> > being flattened?

> LotteBum uses shoulder checks.

As in looking over her shoulder or as in putting her shoulder in
some-one's way? :)

Theo

"DaveB" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
> >
> > I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call

"passing"
> > using the horn. :)

> shudder ... don't laugh, used to know someone who would use the horn

as
> they passed each side street just in case someone was coming out.

Glad I
> never suffered the embarassment of being in the car with them.

Sounding the horn at each intersection is compulsory for train
drivers. Maybe they used to drive a train. :)

Theo

"Tamyka Bell" wrote
> percrime wrote:

> > Nah thats rude. Just like dinging a bell can be

> That was a powerful point. I like how you made it twice ;-)

Phew! I though I was suffering from deja two.

Theo

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:26:38 +1100, Bean Long wrote:

> Well... if they're driving one of those Toyota Prius's maybe... they're
> dead quiet from all reports.

Even granting low rolling resistance tyres and an aero shape, I don't
really get this. It's rare that I hear a car from the engine noise, it's
normally the tyre and wind noise.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
You're a classic example of that inverse ratio between the size of the

Random Data said:
Even granting low rolling resistance tyres and an aero shape, I don't
really get this. It's rare that I hear a car from the engine noise, it's
normally the tyre and wind noise.

to the point that a pack behind sounds just like a car.

I did hear car engines riding in the Adelaide Hills.
Good acoustics and their engine is working hard going up hill.
Like most things, it depends?

Random Data said:
Even granting low rolling resistance tyres and an aero shape, I don't really get this. It's rare that I hear a car from the engine noise, it's normally the tyre and wind noise.
That's a good point. I can't tell the difference between engine noise in different types of cars, in act to the point where I can't tell the difference between a bogan in a Silvia and a B-Double. That said, I've learned the art of knowing when Paulie is coming home - I can hear the crappy tyres on his Falcodore (company car, but please give him lots of **** about it anyway) as he comes around the corner.

And Theo, that's putting my shoulder in people's way.