The Age: Police warning for iPod users

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:01:20 +1100, aeek wrote:

> to the point that a pack behind sounds just like a car.

No, a pack of cyclists makes a sort of buzzing, whirring noise, due
to all the chains.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:01:20 +1100, aeek wrote:

> I did hear car engines riding in the Adelaide Hills.

If you're ever here on a Thursday evening, come for a spin up Mt Lofty via
Norton Summit with us. We have a stick insect and an A-grader for you to
chase, and the descent down the old freeway - wide, smooth and completely
unused - is great.

Michael Warner said:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 22:01:20 +1100, aeek wrote:

> I did hear car engines riding in the Adelaide Hills.

If you're ever here on a Thursday evening, come for a spin up Mt Lofty via
Norton Summit with us. We have a stick insect and an A-grader for you to
chase, and the descent down the old freeway - wide, smooth and completely
unused - is great.

Chase? I'm a dropped by F-grader. Oh yeah, they will be ahead so that makes it chase.
Good point, I'm not being dropped, I'm chasing.

Guess you don't stop at the pub for a beer?

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
> > If a cyclist is sitting in the middle of the lane, as we often do to
> > avoid having car drivers squish us into the kerb, it is not

> unreasonable
> > to expect them to pull further left as a cyclist pasts. It is

> perfectly
> > legal and safe to ride two abreast and it is not a hindrance to the
> > cyclist being passed (unless there is glass or something). If it is
> > unsafe to pass, they can also tell you so.
> >
> > If you try to get past without calling, you may startle them, or

> even
> > cause an accident if they were, for example, veering further right

> in
> > the lane to avoid glass or similar.
> >
> > Any cyclist who begrudges shifting slightly left in the lane to

> allow
> > another cyclist to pass safely without having to change lanes into

> other
> > traffic sounds like a bit of a ********, and I wouldn't give him/her

> > spare tube if they flatted, or even a 20c patch.

> I suppose by the same logic a car driver should also call "passing"
> using the horn. :)
>
> Theo

And, in a great many parts of the world, they do...

Frank

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:57:10 +1100, aeek wrote:

> Chase? I'm a dropped by F-grader.

Then you shouldn't mention riding in our lovely hills so often :)

> Good point, I'm not being dropped, I'm chasing.

That's right. Think positive! Hey, I'm about C grade standard, and
I don't see these guys reach the top either :)

> Guess you don't stop at the pub for a beer?

Alas, no - just coffee and cake. We do end up at the pub on my alternate
Thursday ride, but that's a shorter flat one along the coast. Still tough
if you want, though.

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
>
>> Sure he/she should, if planning on passing within the same lane,

> where
>> legal to do so. Although that would more equate to a cyclist

> ringing a
>> bell, wouldn't it?

> Yes. And a bell actually makes more sense to me than yelling
> "passing".
>
> Theo

Except that voices are more directional, and give people a good idea of
your location, unlike a bell. And also why I call, "on your right" ;-)

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Resound wrote:
> >
> > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Bean Long wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > LotteBum uses shoulder checks.
> > >
> > > Tam

> > So do I, and I'm far from deaf. I ceratinly pay attention to aural cues, but
> > it's a crowded environment. Looking around is crucial.

> Ditto. To the point where it becomes habit and I look silly in a crit.

It's good to have your radar running during a race. Means you can see
what's happening. We practice this a lot at sprint skills :)

hi
sorry for not replying earlier

ive got the audio from mr plod on kneal m show on 3YawN that this story
is from

anyone want a copy in mp3 email me direct
2.15min (500kb)

On Sat, 17 Feb 2006, Bleve wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>> Resound wrote:
>>>
>>> "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> So do I, and I'm far from deaf. I ceratinly pay attention to aural cues, but
>>> it's a crowded environment. Looking around is crucial.

>> Ditto. To the point where it becomes habit and I look silly in a crit.

> It's good to have your radar running during a race. Means you can see
> what's happening. We practice this a lot at sprint skills :)

I look even sillier on an indoor trainer ;-)

Tam

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "Tamyka Bell" wrote
>
>> Sure he/she should, if planning on passing within the same lane,

> where
>> legal to do so. Although that would more equate to a cyclist

> ringing a
>> bell, wouldn't it?

> Yes. And a bell actually makes more sense to me than yelling
> "passing".
>
> Theo

Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:47:43 +1100, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.

Andre

Aeek wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:47:43 +1100, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

> Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.
>
> Andre

Cool... I needed an excuse! Actually, I thought that, like in Vic for
example, it was a requirement that bikes be sold with a bell and
reflectors here in the ACT. Mine came with none of that but I saw the
same bike at a different LBS with all add-ons. I prefer the naked look!

--

Aeek wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:47:43 +1100, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

> Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.
>
> Andre

Nah, you just get those flexible mount ones, slip it over, and use a
cable tie to do it up, rather than a screw. Easy, and it weighs less.

Tam

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:08:17 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Aeek wrote:
>>
>> Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.

>Nah, you just get those flexible mount ones, slip it over, and use a
>cable tie to do it up, rather than a screw. Easy, and it weighs less.
>
>Tam

except I want to take it off for racing when we are legally exempt.
That gets to be a lot of cable ties; otherwise, good idea, thanks.

Andre

--
Frank
[email protected]
"Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:08:17 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Aeek wrote:
> >>
> >> Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a

challenge.

> >Nah, you just get those flexible mount ones, slip it over, and use a
> >cable tie to do it up, rather than a screw. Easy, and it weighs less.
> >
> >Tam

> except I want to take it off for racing when we are legally exempt.
> That gets to be a lot of cable ties; otherwise, good idea, thanks.
>
> Andre

Here ya go: http://www.bbbparts.com/products/accessories/others.html

Works too...

Frank

Aeek wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:08:17 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Aeek wrote:
> >>
> >> Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.

> >Nah, you just get those flexible mount ones, slip it over, and use a
> >cable tie to do it up, rather than a screw. Easy, and it weighs less.
> >
> >Tam

> except I want to take it off for racing when we are legally exempt.
> That gets to be a lot of cable ties; otherwise, good idea, thanks.
>
> Andre

If you ride crits, and leave the bell on... Guess who decides when it's
time for the Prime?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:46:09 +1000, Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you ride crits, and leave the bell on... Guess who decides when it's
>time for the Prime?

try it yourself - you may never complain about raging cars ever again.

Andre

Peter McCallum said:
daveL <[email protected]> wrote:

> Police warning for iPod users
>
> By Ben Schneiders
> February 15, 2006 - 3:59PM
>
> Police have warned that cyclists should never listen to an iPod while
> riding unless they have a death wish.
>
> "If you're a cyclist and you want to stay alive, I wouldn't wear an iPod
> under any circumstances," Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby
> told theage.com.au this afternoon.

On the subject of music and vehicles, I was wandering through a car
wrecker's yard one day and came across a vehicle that looked like it
must have gone underneath a semi-trailer. The roof was just about fully
caved in, the dash was up near the front seat. Not much chance of
survival. I noticed a cassette sticking out of the player and reached in
to see what it was: an album of Christian music with memorable numbers
such as "When Jesus Is With Me, I'll Be Safe". I'd say avoid any form of
Christian music unless you have a death wish.

Peter

BTW What's the current status of St Christopher statues?

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

must have been keen to join the heavenly choir:)

Theo Bekkers said:
Bean Long wrote:

I'm forced to
> stop or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid ***** is singing