The AIDS LifeCycle 11 (2012) Thread

YosemiteGirl

May 13, 2011
I just registered myself for the ALC 11, taking place June of next year. I will probably die, but I'm going to do my best!

I'm starting my training now, trying to do rides 3x per week. Right now it is 2 short rides, like 10 miles each, and one long, around 25 miles. I know that is nothing to most people but this is only month 2 for me on my bike! I was ALL excited when I hit 20mph today and was able to cruise around 12-13 mph keeping my cadence between 85/90 (I know, supposed to be 90-100 but I'm working on it!).

Hopefully by the time the ALC training rides for next year start I will be up for it.

Who's in?

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Hi, YGirl![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]After what I've gone through trying to get ready for my bike tour that starts tomorrow (omg), I'm not ready to commit to ANYTHING for a while, lol.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]But I did want to say CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD JOB on your progress! I hit my first 20-miler just a couple months ago, and still feel proud to make it that far on some days. And your two short days and one long one sounds like good, sensible training to me -- though undoubtedly those with more experience will be happy to give you better advice here than I can.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Nevertheless, way to go, and keep up the good work![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR= #0000ff][SIZE= 12px]Sierra[/COLOR][/SIZE]

sounds awesome, do you have a link we can check out?

Originally Posted by YosemiteGirl .

I just registered myself for the ALC 11, taking place June of next year. I will probably die, but I'm going to do my best!

I'm starting my training now, trying to do rides 3x per week. Right now it is 2 short rides, like 10 miles each, and one long, around 25 miles. I know that is nothing to most people but this is only month 2 for me on my bike! I was ALL excited when I hit 20mph today and was able to cruise around 12-13 mph keeping my cadence between 85/90 (I know, supposed to be 90-100 but I'm working on it!).

Hopefully by the time the ALC training rides for next year start I will be up for it.

Who's in?

A cadence of 85 to 90 is fine. Don't go beating yourself up to 100rpm just because it's "supposed" to be there because that's what "they" say... Everyone is different and the higher cadence is really only useful for the folks doing track, crits and short distance time trials. We didn't see Van Summeren cracking heads and winning Paris Roubaix at 100rpm nor did we see Gilbert do the same during his wins... Cadence is what it is whether you be racing, training, touring, comuting or just popping down the shops for a box of tea bags and a packet of digestive biscuits. Find what suits you best and adjust your gearing to suit - which applies to how you change gears while riding and also chosing what gear ratios to have on the bike.

Have fun with the training and keep us all updated. It's always good to see someone try something new that requires them to go above and beyond what they've done before.

Yep, that was it, thanks Swampy!!

I posted elsewhere that I did my first 50 last sunday on the LA River Ride. The first 30 miles were fine, then my neck froze up. From the neck down though, everything else was great! Yesterday, just the day after, I was able to do a pretty quick 14 miles with my training buddy. I've got some stretches and exercises to sort the neck thing out.

It is a little tough training for the bike at the same time I am in full training for riding (horses...jumping :) but only like 2'6") which is 4 days a week. I try to work the bike in on my 2 lighter days and one of my days off the horse so I have at least 1 full day off of all exercise a week. Add to that the tap class I just picked up Wednesday nights....geez it is good I started my own law practice so I can work whatever hours I want! Now to get some clients....