The American scene

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Matthew Cox, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. Matthew Cox

    Matthew Cox Guest

    I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me what
    kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular. Also are there any different kinds of riding
    that is on the increase?

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Matthew Cox <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me
    > what kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular.

    Kona and GT.

    > Also are there any different kinds of riding that is on the increase?

    Freeridin'! Yeah, everyone is freeridin' these days - it's the future dude!

    Shaun aRe - Free to ride, ride free, freeriders!

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Matthew Cox wrote:
    > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me
    > what kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular. Also are there any different kinds of
    > riding that is on the increase?

    In the US they call a 'tyre', a 'tire'.

    HTH

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Matthew Cox wrote:
    > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes.

    Can I just say, you're 22 years old, still at college (pfft, bloody tax-dodger) and you get to write
    about mountain bikes as part of your course. In God's name, what sham of an educational institution
    do you attend?!

  5. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Matthew Cox wrote:

    > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me
    > what kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular. Also are there any different kinds of
    > riding that is on the increase?

    Side Walk riding on adult bmxs with children's pedals.

    Jimbo(san)

  6. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | Matthew Cox wrote:
    |
    | > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    | > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me
    | > what kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular. Also are there any different kinds
    | > of riding that is on the increase?
    |
    | Side Walk riding on adult bmxs with children's pedals.
    |

    | Jimbo(san)

    Meeeeeeeeooooooooooww

    Simon..put the claws away!

  7. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > | Side Walk riding on adult bmxs with children's pedals.
    > |

    > | Jimbo(san)
    > |

    > Meeeeeeeeooooooooooww
    >
    > Simon..put the claws away!

    I don't think Jimbo was being catty. After all, he actually rides adult bmxs with children's pedals,
    on the sidewalk :)

  8. Simon

    Simon Guest

    | Simon wrote:

    | > |
    | > | Side Walk riding on adult bmxs with children's pedals.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Jimbo(san)
    | > |

    | > Meeeeeeeeooooooooooww
    | >
    | > Simon..put the claws away!
    |
    | I don't think Jimbo was being catty. After all, he actually rides adult bmxs with children's
    | pedals, on the sidewalk :)]

    Ahhhhhhh apologies where due then.

    Thanks Mr Bomba

    Simon

  9. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > Simon wrote:
    >
    > > | I don't think Jimbo was being catty. After all, he actually rides
    adult
    > > | bmxs with children's pedals, on the sidewalk :)]
    > >
    > > Ahhhhhhh apologies where due then.
    > >
    > > Thanks Mr Bomba
    >
    > Perhaps you should stop taking each post that mentions 'adult bmx' as a personal insult (?)

    Aye! Chill Si, FFS - you'll give yerself a hernia or summink - who GAF what anyone else thinks eh?
    If I took half the shit I even get directed directly at me here personally, I'd be a gibbering
    crazed lunatic.......ahem....as you were then!

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - Yeah, like I've got room to talk (in this little box.)....

  11. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    > I don't think Jimbo was being catty. After all, he actually rides adult bmxs with children's
    > pedals, on the sidewalk :)

    I often join him too...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  13. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    bomba wrote:

    > Simon wrote:
    >
    > > | I don't think Jimbo was being catty. After all, he actually rides adult bmxs with children's
    > > | pedals, on the sidewalk :)]
    > >
    > > Ahhhhhhh apologies where due then.
    > >
    > > Thanks Mr Bomba
    >
    > Perhaps you should stop taking each post that mentions 'adult bmx' as a personal insult (?)
    >
    > --
    > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    >
    > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm

    Sorry... didn't mean to start anything ;-P I should have said... Side Walk riding on adult bmxs with
    children's pedals on my way to riding over mountains.... in a cat suit (?) :p

    Jimbo....keeps forgetting the useful emoticons ;-)...(san)

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > >>I often join him too...
    > >

    > > You pair are sooo baaaaad!
    >
    > That's a point, where's the moderator to tell them off?

    Disappeared up his own large arse in a poof of smoke.

    Shaun aRe

  16. Matthew Cox wrote:
    > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me
    > what kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular. Also are there any different kinds of
    > riding that is on the increase?

    A short outline for your research:

    1. Mountain Dew
    2. SUV commercials
    3. Marketing genius of ski lift operators and Volkswagen bus owners
    4. Those that move the rocks off the trail, those that move the rocks on the trail.
    5. Idealogical disparity over the environmental impact of number 4
    6. Idealogical disparity over bigger travel and no travel

    Some sub-plots:

    7. Is there a direct inverse relationship between the amount of travel on your bike and the amount
    of functional gray-matter in your head?
    8. Biking Betties and the men who love them.
    9. Retro vs. stupid-o

    Last but not least:

    10. How to ride a bike and look really really cool.

    Hope this helps you get splendid marks!

    C.

  17. Dave Haley

    Dave Haley Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Matthew Cox wrote:
    >
    > > I'm a 22 year old british mountain biker. I'm doing a piece of course work at college on the
    > > differences between the US and the British mountain biking scenes. Please could anyone tell me
    > > what kind of riding and types of bikes are the most popular. Also are there any different kinds
    > > of riding that is on the increase?
    >
    > Side Walk riding on adult bmxs with children's pedals.
    >

    > Jimbo(san)

    JD recommended I check out the sidewalks with my Kona. The challenge of moving targets / obstacles
    makes for a whole new level of riding.

    Dave Haley

  18. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > JD recommended I check out the sidewalks with my Kona. The challenge of moving targets / obstacles
    > makes for a whole new level of riding.

    JD is right.

    And don't forget that the best moving targets are babies in carriages, old people with walking canes
    and pregnant women... :)

    - CA-G enjoys a good "running over" every once in a while...

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  19. Dave Jackson

    Dave Jackson Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dave Haley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > JD recommended I check out the sidewalks with my Kona. The challenge of moving targets /
    > > obstacles makes for a whole new level of riding.
    >
    > JD is right.
    >
    > And don't forget that the best moving targets are babies in carriages, old people with walking
    > canes and pregnant women... :)
    >
    > - CA-G enjoys a good "running over" every once in a while...
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Don't forget 3-legged one eyed puppies.

    Dave in Minnesota

  20. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    | bomba wrote:

    | > > Ahhhhhhh apologies where due then.
    | > >
    | > > Thanks Mr Bomba
    | >
    | > Perhaps you should stop taking each post that mentions 'adult bmx' as a personal insult (?)
    | >
    | > --
    | > a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
    | >
    | > a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
    |
    | Sorry... didn't mean to start anything ;-P I should have said... Side Walk riding on adult bmxs
    | with children's pedals on my way to riding
    over
    | mountains.... in a cat suit (?) :p
    |
    | Jimbo....keeps forgetting the useful emoticons ;-)...(san)

    LMNPEAO That conjurs up images of itchy and scatchy from the simpsons on bikes for some reason.
    Maybe my fire here is leaking CO.

    Points taken about the personal side to messages although I never thought it was an insult towards
    myself just a catty comment. Its a pity tone doesnt translate too well into text (he says with a
    wry smile)

    Simon.......rides an adult bmx cos he can :eek:)