The anatomy of a cyclist - which muscles are used to ride

Originally Posted by davereo .

The ass in the image is in the right location. The rest is just to much info.
The rest is just plain wrong.

A and B are pretty much the wrong way around and too short. C and D work pretty much all the way through 360 degrees, otherwise your foot would flop around like a floundering fish.

E. Really? Do you really think it only works for about 80 degrees and for pulling up? I double dog dare you to try and use that muscle for that part of the pedal stroke.

Here's a picture of some cute puppies. It's about as helpful to pedalling as that diagram.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Quote: Originally Posted by davereo .

The ass in the image is in the right location. The rest is just to much info.
The rest is just plain wrong.

A and B are pretty much the wrong way around and too short. C and D work pretty much all the way through 360 degrees, otherwise your foot would flop around like a floundering fish.

E. Really? Do you really think it only works for about 80 degrees and for pulling up? I double dog dare you to try and use that muscle for that part of the pedal stroke.

Here's a picture of some cute puppies. It's about as helpful to pedalling as that diagram.

I don't see a huge problem with A and B, but agree with you on E. That should start at the bottom of the pedal stroke if you perform the proper method of "wiping mud off the ball of your foot" through the bottom of the pedal stroke. The quads (vastus lateralis, vastus medialis and vastus intermedius) would obviously engage as you pushed your toes into the front of your shoe across the top of the pedal stroke, so you'd also need to extend B up to the 12 o'clock. But that all assumes that you do the pedal stroke as recommended. I find pretty quickly during one-legged drills that my hip flexors (rectus femoris of the quad) suck, and that I am not very smooth or precise at either the 12 OR the 6 o'clock positions.

This is why I quit doing one-legged drills a long time ago. I hate having my inadequacies pointed out.

It seems like the diagram really only explains improper pedaling technique, but it does explain something about pedaling muscles so I'd have to say that the puppies are only about 87% more helpful than the diagram.