The anti-Lycra brigade

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

That's why most folks who don't live under bridges and cadge free rides on trains across the country wash their stuff after every ride and speaking from experience, I don't spend all day loafing around in my riding gear after I get home.

Farkin hobo.
Yep, growing mushrooms in ones knicks isn't cool.

Quote:Originally Posted by steve . 

Makes sense to me, how could anyone who wears lycra enjoy cycling? 

What would you estimate the percentage of people in your area use cycling as an alternative transport?

People who freak out over lycra need to get a life. If someone weighs 300 pounds, eats cheeseburgers and looks more like a bag of jelly than a cyclist, then they might have a point. But getting into a tizzy over people who ride for speed? It sounds like they're projecting their own insecurities more than criticizing others. I'll wear regular clothes if I ride to the store or to work, but if I'm doing a 60-100km ride in 2-3 hours, there's no damn way I'm going to be wearing khakis. Anyone who can't deal with that needs to grow up. People who get uptight over tights either can't figure out that speed IS the fun of riding, or they're too fat and slow to keep up.

I quit wearing lycra a long time ago. A plain pair of shorts and golf or tennis shirt are just as comfortable and look a lot better. It has nothing to do with riding slow, but just not looking like a pretend superhero.

Marc

Washington DC is so hot and sticky in the summer that I find Lycra impossible so I'm going to be an "almost nude" cyclist and hope others follow my lead. I'm cutting down my shorts to just the chamois part and plan to secure it with a bit of tape or a small string. The chamois, socks, shoes and helmet are all you really need and are pretty aerodynamic if you aren't flabby. I guess bikini tops might be necessary for some women to avoid discomfort. Dark sunglasses are optional. This will also serve as a good excuse for politicians such as Anthony Weiner and others in case your photos end up on-line. Just say you are encouraging people to ride comfortably in the heat to save energy.

I'll spare the world the indignity of me in shorts - I wear my paddeds under a pair of full length pants that are also comfortable for other fitness activities. But as the others in my locality (Metro DC) have stated... right about now unless you're riding before dawn it's about 104 in the shade so whatever keeps one coolest and driest is best. I see lots of neon lycra when I'm out. Lately I've noticed most of the guys have their jerseys unzipped.. but again.. it's hotter than Hades out there.

I must admit to not being particularly aware of any real benefits to the cycling clothes I see in bike shops. I'm not a one-size-fits-all kind of guy, being 56 yrs old and about 50-60lbs overweight. I was never interested in such attire when I was slim and trim, either. I bought a couple pair of somewhat baggy cotton shorts (I think they're basketball shorts) at a sporting goods store for less than $8 each, and I'll go back and get some more soon. They're long enough to hide anything embarassing, and I could care less if they're baggy. I also wear t-shirts, and I prefer cotton while riding, as they tend to wick away moisture somewhat better than the cotton/polyester blends, and I stink less wearing cotton than the synthetic blends, too. You ladies might wanna' pay particular attention to that little detail when choosing your panties, as the same thing applies there, too. Cotton makes you stink less when you sweat. I'm not talking about a womanly or manly smell here....I'm talking about that sour, "OMG!! Something is dead and rotting here!!" odor you only get with synthetics (Don't that just bless you?). I've noticed that drinking caffeine products also accentuates this devilment. I can't offer any opinion on lycra, as I never thought it was worth my while to pay big bucks just to "look cool" if something cheaper would do the same thing. I never did look right in lycra, either. If I'm going to look like a blithering dork, I'm not going to shell out big bucks to do so. There are cheaper ways to look like a dork. My t-shirts were purchased in Wal-Mart for $5-$7 each in varying colors. I don't care for logos or ads, either. Plain colors is just fine, although I do have some two-tone shirts. I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in riding comfort, although I was tempted (just once) to try one of those butt-padded shorts to see how they work. If they come up with something that stops my shoulder and elbow joints from hurting, I will try that, unless the price is ridiculously high. My ride is also my workout, so any time I'd shave off with cycling attire would be unimportant to me. I'd go "commando" if I could get away with it. On the other hand, who would know? Are you ever going to get that picture out of your mind now?

Originally Posted by ax25nut .

I must admit to not being particularly aware of any real benefits to the cycling clothes I see in bike shops. I'm not a one-size-fits-all kind of guy, being 56 yrs old and about 50-60lbs overweight. I was never interested in such attire when I was slim and trim, either. I bought a couple pair of somewhat baggy cotton shorts (I think they're basketball shorts) at a sporting goods store for less than $8 each, and I'll go back and get some more soon. They're long enough to hide anything embarassing, and I could care less if they're baggy. I also wear t-shirts, and I prefer cotton while riding, as they tend to wick away moisture somewhat better than the cotton/polyester blends, and I stink less wearing cotton than the synthetic blends, too. You ladies might wanna' pay particular attention to that little detail when choosing your panties, as the same thing applies there, too. Cotton makes you stink less when you sweat. I'm not talking about a womanly or manly smell here....I'm talking about that sour, "OMG!! Something is dead and rotting here!!" odor you only get with synthetics (Don't that just bless you?). I've noticed that drinking caffeine products also accentuates this devilment. I can't offer any opinion on lycra, as I never thought it was worth my while to pay big bucks just to "look cool" if something cheaper would do the same thing. I never did look right in lycra, either. If I'm going to look like a blithering dork, I'm not going to shell out big bucks to do so. There are cheaper ways to look like a dork. My t-shirts were purchased in Wal-Mart for $5-$7 each in varying colors. I don't care for logos or ads, either. Plain colors is just fine, although I do have some two-tone shirts.

I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in riding comfort, although I was tempted (just once) to try one of those butt-padded shorts to see how they work. If they come up with something that stops my shoulder and elbow joints from hurting, I will try that, unless the price is ridiculously high. My ride is also my workout, so any time I'd shave off with cycling attire would be unimportant to me. I'd go "commando" if I could get away with it. On the other hand, who would know? Are you ever going to get that picture out of your mind now?

To each his own. Whatever makes you happy go with it.
As far as synthetic fibers stinking more you are wrong. Cotton being a natural fiber provides a natural environment for bacteria to continue its composting. Also cotton absorbs moisture allowing it to stay wet longer. The reason why polyester keeps you cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold is that it wont absorb moisture. The moisture stays on the surface of the fiber evaporating at a quicker pace. The old saying in the cold weather is cotton kills.
I work in the textile industry. Synthetic fibers are superior to cotton when it comes to athletic apparel.

Reactions: jpr95
davereo wrote, in part:
"As far as synthetic fibers stinking more you are wrong."

My reply:
Nah. I never said that synthetics stink more. I also never said that cotton stinks less. I said that cotton makes YOU stink less.. There is a difference, and it becomes clear when you take off said synthetic/cotton and smell YOU (or your significant other, if you prefer). If you wish to ride in cold weather you may not notice this. I noticed it plenty for years. I stand by my previous comments. Your mileage may vary of course, but this is based on my own experience, and I've known women that had the same observations. It is a major reason why some women switch to white cotton panties instead of those translucent synthetics. It works on men, too. Don't believe me? Ask someone with athlete's foot why they must wear either white cotton or wool socks....

I must confess here....I'm not now, nor ever have been, interested in letting anyone see me in spandex. I must also confess that, although I don't particularly like spandex, I dearly love the things some women put in it. If you've got it, YOU can flaunt it. Me? I'm just gonna' keep you guessing.....

All the above aside....wear what you want for whatever reasons you want. I'm not downwind of you!

I started serious riding in August of 2010, and rode all winter - and I'm in northern Indiana. By July 30, 2011, I had ridden one 3,000; so far I'm one 4400 miles. And I have lost 40 pounds. Last year at about this time, I was trying to decide about the winter, and had not acquired any specialty clothes. A runner friend of mine told me that if I wanted to survive in the cold, get the clothes. The fabrics wick perspiration and hold in body heat. He could run at 5 degrees in a couple of layers. So I started watching for sales. I have acquired summer and winter clothes. I also put studded tires on a mountain bike.

I have become an evangelist for bicycling and for the appropriate clothes. I hate riding without them. I am more comfortable when I ride, and get dry faster when I stop. I ride to work and take a change of clothes. In 20 minutes after I arrive I have cooled down and can change.

I wonder if I could do a commercial....

Reactions: 64Paramount
Originally Posted by bikester62 .

I started serious riding in August of 2010, and rode all winter - and I'm in northern Indiana. By July 30, 2011, I had ridden one 3,000; so far I'm one 4400 miles. And I have lost 40 pounds. Last year at about this time, I was trying to decide about the winter, and had not acquired any specialty clothes. A runner friend of mine told me that if I wanted to survive in the cold, get the clothes. The fabrics wick perspiration and hold in body heat. He could run at 5 degrees in a couple of layers. So I started watching for sales. I have acquired summer and winter clothes. I also put studded tires on a mountain bike.

I have become an evangelist for bicycling and for the appropriate clothes. I hate riding without them. I am more comfortable when I ride, and get dry faster when I stop. I ride to work and take a change of clothes. In 20 minutes after I arrive I have cooled down and can change.

I wonder if I could do a commercial....

Way to go, bikester! It's always good to hear from someone with great results.

Keep up the good work! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

Im with TGVGZ 100% >Heres the deal. If you want to raise your GOOD cholesterol you have to run or ride alot harder than "casual". Just a fact. Been trackin mine for 25 years. Have all the family history blah blah blah. Did I mention I had a quadruple bypass a few years ago? (why? bad diet, allergic to statins, and riding casual) Just did a 10 mile time trial keeping my HR @ 162bpm avg the whole ride, rolling terrain 23:45. Oh, I"m a couple months shy of 60. "RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE"!

Reactions: tottenham21
Really that's a good one. Whatever makes you happy I guess. Interesting to make a whole big thing about it. I'm not really in it for speed myself. Exercise and site seeing. The same I guess just enjoyment. I do love the lycra gear. I do think it is attractive to see anyone in it, if they have the body for it. Maybe I should get more into the need for speed and lycra.

I'm part of the anti-lycra brigade and damn proud of it. Cotton shorts and bermudas are my pants of choice and there's no way I'll ever be caught dead wearing lycra shorts. Since I don't cycle professionally I have absolutely no use for lycra clothing. I don't find them visually appealing, even fit and skinny male cyclists tend to look bad wearing their cycling gear.