The Archers

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Colin Blackburn

urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at the
moment. Previously the only cyclist in Ambridge was the slightly eccentric Linda Snell. Now she has
been joined by Nigel Pargetter since his ban for drink driving. To his credit he has realised the
benefits of cycling beyond his necessity and seems to have become a pro-cycling voice in the
village. His business, Lower Loxley Inc., is setting up bike trails and buying in bikes to rent.
Yesterday's episode, repeated today at 2pm and on Listen Again (bbc radio website somewhere) till
7pm, featured a bet between Nigel and Tony (Archer) as to who could get to 'Jaxx Caff' quicker.
Nigel won by using a cycle contraflow lane much to Tony's annoyance. Tony wasn't happy with the
congestion and the parking charges and in addition Nigel stressed that the breakfast he had won from
Tony would be burnt off more quickly because of the exercise he was getting.

Just an everyday story of...

Colin

In message <MPG.192ea09d1494d548989a0a@localhost>, Colin Blackburn
<[email protected]> writes
>urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at
>the moment.

Yes, I've been following this of and on. It's been quite entertaining, though not as much fun as a
good bit of scandal.

>Yesterday's episode, repeated today at 2pm and on Listen Again (bbc radio website somewhere)
>till 7pm,

Actually you can listen to any of the previous 7 days episodes from the BBC Archers website (as well
as read synopses of the previous episodes)

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/catch/index.shtml>

--
Chris French, Leeds

On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:16:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at
>the moment.

But it's just the Archers, hardly a source of authoritative advice on farming matters. Give them a
few weeks until they want another story line, and Jazzer will be nicking them, Kenton scaring the
horses by drunken cycling and Alice will be struck permanently dumb after falling off Whilst Not
Wearing A Helmet.

Andy Dingley wrote:

> But it's just the Archers, hardly a source of authoritative advice on farming matters.

Watch out! That's verging on treason... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:16:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at the
>> moment.
>
> But it's just the Archers, hardly a source of authoritative advice on farming matters.

They do use an agricultural consultant and in fairness they do lead with agri stories: organic
production back in the mid-80s before anyone was interested; verroa & bees a year or so ago; genetic
crops; etc.

(Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
Shimano V-brakes...".

Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......

Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,

Peter.

al_Mossah wrote:
> (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
> Shimano V-brakes...".
>
> Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......
>
> Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,
>
> Peter.

> (Geordie accent)
Are you implying a romantic connection between Nigel and his sister-in-law?

"Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> al_Mossah wrote:
> > (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
> > Shimano V-brakes...".
> >
> > Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......
> >
> > Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,
> >
> > Peter.
>
>
> > (Geordie accent)
> Are you implying a romantic connection between Nigel and his sister-in-law?
>
>

Is there anyone in the Archers that hasn't tupped every other member ?

all that fresh air I suppose

Albert

On Fri, 16 May 2003 13:33:25 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>(Geordie accent)

Geordie !? She's from Prudhoe !

>"Aor Norrr..

(I love that accent. It's like Charlotte Green in a stottie)

albert fish wrote:
> "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> al_Mossah wrote:
>>> (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
>>> Shimano V-brakes...".
>>>
>>> Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......
>>>
>>> Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,
>>>
>>> Peter.
>>
>>
>>> (Geordie accent)
>> Are you implying a romantic connection between Nigel and his sister-in-law?
>>
>>
>
> Is there anyone in the Archers that hasn't tupped every other member ?

Heheheh, I used to be in 'The Archers' ... many many years ago, from about 1974 to about 1978 ish ..
though i wasn't 'tupping' anyone then .. I was still partly at school .. ;)

--

Completed 1666 Seti work units in 12694 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

> Heheheh, I used to be in 'The Archers' ... many many years ago, from about 1974 to about 1978 ish
> .. though i wasn't 'tupping' anyone then .. I was still partly at school .. ;)

Your character was who?

On Fri, 16 May 2003 15:36:21 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK what's a stottie?

Bread bun/bap/roll - varies in size but typically 8 inches x 1.5. Just the thing for holding half a
pound of bacon, a couple of eggs and tin of tomatoes.

Pete

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 16 May 2003 15:36:21 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >OK what's a stottie?
>
> Bread bun/bap/roll - varies in size but typically 8 inches x 1.5. Just the thing for holding half
> a pound of bacon, a couple of eggs and tin of tomatoes.
>
> Pete
>

from the verb 'to stott' I presume ?

to lob, throw or otherwise cause to violently impact one thing against another.

eg "suh ah fookin stotted it reet off is heed"

> Just the thing for holding half a pound of bacon, a couple of eggs and tin of tomatoes.

that would certainly stott ones stomach on impact :)

Albert

On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:16:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just an everyday story of...

I was at a CTC event recently and a woman there was wearing a T-shirt with "dum di dum di dum di
dum" on it - needless to say I spotted the meaning immediately :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
<[email protected]> typed:
>
> I was at a CTC event recently and a woman there was wearing a T-shirt with "dum di dum di dum di
> dum" on it - needless to say I spotted the meaning immediately :)
>

You need one of these: http://www.archersanarchists.co.uk/order.htm

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

Status
Not open for further replies.