The Archers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, May 16, 2003.

  1. urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at the
    moment. Previously the only cyclist in Ambridge was the slightly eccentric Linda Snell. Now she has
    been joined by Nigel Pargetter since his ban for drink driving. To his credit he has realised the
    benefits of cycling beyond his necessity and seems to have become a pro-cycling voice in the
    village. His business, Lower Loxley Inc., is setting up bike trails and buying in bikes to rent.
    Yesterday's episode, repeated today at 2pm and on Listen Again (bbc radio website somewhere) till
    7pm, featured a bet between Nigel and Tony (Archer) as to who could get to 'Jaxx Caff' quicker.
    Nigel won by using a cycle contraflow lane much to Tony's annoyance. Tony wasn't happy with the
    congestion and the parking charges and in addition Nigel stressed that the breakfast he had won from
    Tony would be burnt off more quickly because of the exercise he was getting.

    Just an everyday story of...

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Colin Blackburn
    <[email protected]> writes
    >urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at
    >the moment.

    Yes, I've been following this of and on. It's been quite entertaining, though not as much fun as a
    good bit of scandal.

    >Yesterday's episode, repeated today at 2pm and on Listen Again (bbc radio website somewhere)
    >till 7pm,

    Actually you can listen to any of the previous 7 days episodes from the BBC Archers website (as well
    as read synopses of the previous episodes)

    <http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/archers/catch/index.shtml>

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:16:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at
    >the moment.

    But it's just the Archers, hardly a source of authoritative advice on farming matters. Give them a
    few weeks until they want another story line, and Jazzer will be nicking them, Kenton scaring the
    horses by drunken cycling and Alice will be struck permanently dumb after falling off Whilst Not
    Wearing A Helmet.

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > But it's just the Archers, hardly a source of authoritative advice on farming matters.

    Watch out! That's verging on treason... ;-)

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:16:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> urc denizens might be interested to know that there is a cycling thread in The Archers at the
    >> moment.
    >
    > But it's just the Archers, hardly a source of authoritative advice on farming matters.

    They do use an agricultural consultant and in fairness they do lead with agri stories: organic
    production back in the mid-80s before anyone was interested; verroa & bees a year or so ago; genetic
    crops; etc.

  6. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
    Shimano V-brakes...".

    Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......

    Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,

    Peter.

  7. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    al_Mossah wrote:
    > (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
    > Shimano V-brakes...".
    >
    > Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......
    >
    > Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,
    >
    > Peter.

    > (Geordie accent)
    Are you implying a romantic connection between Nigel and his sister-in-law?

  8. Albert Fish

    Albert Fish Guest

    "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > al_Mossah wrote:
    > > (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
    > > Shimano V-brakes...".
    > >
    > > Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......
    > >
    > > Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,
    > >
    > > Peter.
    >

    > > (Geordie accent)
    > Are you implying a romantic connection between Nigel and his sister-in-law?

    Is there anyone in the Archers that hasn't tupped every other member ?

    all that fresh air I suppose

    Albert

  9. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 13:33:25 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(Geordie accent)

    Geordie !? She's from Prudhoe !

    >"Aor Norrr..

    (I love that accent. It's like Charlotte Green in a stottie)

  10. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:y%[email protected], albert fish
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > Is there anyone in the Archers that hasn't tupped every other member ?

    You mean Joe Grundy and Lynda Snell are...........OhhhhNoooh!

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  12. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

  13. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

  14. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    albert fish wrote:
    > "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> al_Mossah wrote:
    >>> (Geordie accent) "Aor Norrr.. Nigel's ridden into the slurry pit. Someone had disconnected his
    >>> Shimano V-brakes...".
    >>>
    >>> Heh heh heh... only 29 to go......
    >>>
    >>> Lighting blue touch-paper and retiring,
    >>>
    >>> Peter.
    >>

    >>> (Geordie accent)
    >> Are you implying a romantic connection between Nigel and his sister-in-law?
    >>

    > Is there anyone in the Archers that hasn't tupped every other member ?

    Heheheh, I used to be in 'The Archers' ... many many years ago, from about 1974 to about 1978 ish ..
    though i wasn't 'tupping' anyone then .. I was still partly at school .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1666 Seti work units in 12694 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  15. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    > Heheheh, I used to be in 'The Archers' ... many many years ago, from about 1974 to about 1978 ish
    > .. though i wasn't 'tupping' anyone then .. I was still partly at school .. ;)

    Your character was who?

  16. Pete

    Pete Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 15:36:21 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK what's a stottie?

    Bread bun/bap/roll - varies in size but typically 8 inches x 1.5. Just the thing for holding half a
    pound of bacon, a couple of eggs and tin of tomatoes.

    Pete

  17. Albert Fish

    Albert Fish Guest

    "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:3ec5293c[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 15:36:21 GMT, "Tenex" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >OK what's a stottie?
    >
    > Bread bun/bap/roll - varies in size but typically 8 inches x 1.5. Just the thing for holding half
    > a pound of bacon, a couple of eggs and tin of tomatoes.
    >
    > Pete

    from the verb 'to stott' I presume ?

    to lob, throw or otherwise cause to violently impact one thing against another.

    eg "suh ah fookin stotted it reet off is heed"

    > Just the thing for holding half a pound of bacon, a couple of eggs and tin of tomatoes.

    that would certainly stott ones stomach on impact :)

    Albert

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 08:16:22 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just an everyday story of...

    I was at a CTC event recently and a woman there was wearing a T-shirt with "dum di dum di dum di
    dum" on it - needless to say I spotted the meaning immediately :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Just zis Guy, you know?
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > I was at a CTC event recently and a woman there was wearing a T-shirt with "dum di dum di dum di
    > dum" on it - needless to say I spotted the meaning immediately :)

    You need one of these: http://www.archersanarchists.co.uk/order.htm

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com