The Argos Tent Thread

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Yup, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Yup

    Yup Guest

    Hey boys & girls, remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little tent
    from Argos for £30 quid ? Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ? Maybe even
    pictures ? Thanks

    Ade

    Tags:

  2. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "yup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hey boys & girls, remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little tent from
    > Argos for £30 quid ? Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ? Maybe even pictures
    > ? Thanks
    >
    > Ade

    Hello!

    That Argos £30 tent is a blooming fine tent. I used mine for 42 nights last year. Bust one pole.
    Mended it. Carried on. Thankyou Mr Pro-Action.

    me out of here".

    Much much better than all the pretentious tents that will be listed further on in this thread.
    Cue........

    Ian.

  3. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "yup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hey boys & girls, remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little tent from
    > Argos for £30 quid ? Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ? Maybe even pictures
    > ? Thanks
    >
    > Ade

    <cough/p> Ade me little old boy... I assume this is a third rate troll?

    Ian.

  4. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Ian Dainty" <[email protected]> wrote

    > <cough/p> Ade me little old boy... I assume this is a third rate
    troll?

    Nowhere near as good as the Phoenix Pheatherlite. Made out of Mithril, it weighs four grams and fits
    into your inside pocket. I got mine twenty years ago and it's still going strong. BTW, it's yours
    for a fiver cos I'll be doing Butlins from now on.

    Graham

  5. Nick Pedley

    Nick Pedley Guest

    "yup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey boys & girls, remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little
    tent
    > from Argos for £30 quid ? Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ? Maybe even
    > pictures ? Thanks
    >
    > Ade

    Still got mine and I love it. Only whinge is that I can't get me and my rucksack inside comfortably
    at nights!

    Nick

  6. yup wrote:

    > remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little tent from Argos for
    > £30 quid ?

    How could I forget. I believe it was me who first bought one (but not the first to suggest it).

    > Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ?

    So far good, but to be honest I still haven't used it much. I'm planning to rectify that this year
    though, so I'll soon be able to tell you whether it will fall to pieces or not. A few people have
    claimed that some of the stitching has come loose on the tight inner tent plastic thingies, IIRC.

    > Maybe even pictures ?

    Well stone me, I've just checked and they're still there! I really must update my site;

    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/misc/1.jpg http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/misc/2.jpg http://www.wilderness-
    wales.co.uk/misc/3.jpg

    Planning to test it in the cold (snow hopefully) in the next few days.

    Paul
    --
    Calendars for 2004
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cal/cal.html

  7. Ian Dainty wrote:

    > That Argos £30 tent is a blooming fine tent.

    Got mine for just £24 in a sale.

    > I used mine for 42 nights last year. Bust one pole. Mended it. Carried on. Thankyou Mr Pro-Action.

    Area you being serious? Never can tell with you.

    (By the way, send me your real email address, I tried emailing you but couldn't get through.)

    Paul
    --

  8. Graham Seed wrote:

    > Nowhere near as good as the Phoenix Pheatherlite.

    My Phoenix Phreak was a damn good tent.

    > Made out of Mithril, it weighs four grams and fits into your inside pocket.

    I think mine was made out of lead and I had to strap it onto the outside of my rucksack with the aid
    of two of the world's strongest men. ;-)

    > I got mine twenty years ago and it's still going strong.

    Coincidentally I bought mine almost that long ago, 18 years in fact, but it stopped going strong a
    couple of years ago. It went a bit wimpy and a bit leaky.

    > BTW, it's yours for a fiver cos I'll be doing Butlins from now on.

    Not sure mine is worth that much. It originally cost me the princely sum of £165, which may not
    sound much, but that was a lot of money back in the old days... :)

    Paul
    --
    Calendars for 2004
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cal/cal.html
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk

  9. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

  10. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Much much better than all the pretentious tents that will be listed further on in this thread.
    > Cue........

    Cue my very pretentious 4-season 2-man tents that I got for £80 each (half price) in The Outdoors
    Shop. Low profile geodesic domes, all of them. High profile colour and I probably wouldn't want to
    take them backpacking 'cos of the weight, but then you can't have everything, can you.
    --
    Fran If you need my email address please ask.

  11. Yup

    Yup Guest

    Hi Paul,

    not sure you have the right person, I don't post here very often but I do read the group almost
    every day.

    I havn't had a night out in a tent for about 15 years now (since I achieved my Gold Duke of
    Edinburghs Award) but my interest in walking has really taken off in the last year. Well today I
    was mooching around our local Decathlon store and they had a sale! I got a nice 60 litre pack for
    only £40 quid and £65 quids worth of sleeping bag for only £30 quid. Now I'm itching for a tiny
    tent and a night out somewhere. I remembered everyone raving about the argos tent last year so I
    thought I'd ask.

    Cheers

    Ade

    PS, your web site is superb

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ian Dainty wrote:
    >
    > > That Argos £30 tent is a blooming fine tent.
    >
    > Got mine for just £24 in a sale.
    >
    > > I used mine for 42 nights last year. Bust one pole. Mended it. Carried on. Thankyou Mr Pro-
    > > Action.
    >
    > Area you being serious? Never can tell with you.
    >
    > (By the way, send me your real email address, I tried emailing you but couldn't get through.)
    >
    > Paul
    > --
    > Calendars for 2004 http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk/cal/cal.html http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    > http://www.photosig.com/go/users/userphotos?id=118749

  12. Andyp

    Andyp Guest

    "Nick Pedley" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Still got mine and I love it. Only whinge is that I can't get me and my rucksack inside
    > comfortably at nights!

    I usually stick a 45 litre sack inside my posh version of the tent. It goes on the door side at the
    widest point so that everything is at hand without having to open the door in midge infested places.

  13. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "yup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hey boys & girls, remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little tent from
    > Argos for £30 quid ? Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ? Maybe even pictures
    > ? Thanks
    >
    > Ade

    Ignore my other posts in this thread. I was posting under difficult circumstances. I had been forced
    to drink a bottle of wine and then some shorts. And then I accidently sat in front of a computer and
    made some posts.

    The Argos tent should be owned by everyone. It's a bargain. There have been a few complaints about
    the build quality but apart from snapping a pole (my own fault) I've had no problems myself. It's
    got a curious narrow pointy bit at one end which is too small to fit a rucksack and the outer
    "vestibule" is about big enough to store a pair of boots and not much more. And there is absolutely
    no room to cook inside the tent or even inside the fly....

    in fact it's rubbish!

    Actually not. It's fairly light, it packs small, it stands up to a entire night of driving rain,
    there is very little condensation in the morning, and its as cheap as a cheap thing.

    Ian.

  14. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Stuart wrote:
    > yup <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Hey boys & girls, remember last year we had a thread going for ages regarding the little tent
    >> from Argos for £30 quid ?
    >
    > £24
    >
    >> Does anyone have any experiences good or bad about this ?
    >
    > An excellent value for money tent
    >
    >> Maybe even pictures ?
    >
    > A summers night on the high tops http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/other/argostent.jpg
    >
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Ade

    Attadale in May, click on "next" to see more pics.

    http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/gallery/attadale/pic_18.html

    --
    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

    Sandy
    --

    E-Mail:- [email protected] Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble
    uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667 #Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled

  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:37:35 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello!
    >
    >That Argos £30 tent is a blooming fine tent. I used mine for 42 nights last year. Bust one pole.
    >Mended it. Carried on. Thankyou Mr Pro-Action.

    >me out of here".
    >
    >Much much better than all the pretentious tents that will be listed further on in this thread.
    >Cue........
    >
    >Ian.

    Is it Billy Dainty or Ian Dainty!??? I didn't quite catch your name.

    Bob . . . Thought For The Day
    " You can always tell when a politician is lying. Their lips move."
    - Max Headroom

  16. Ian Dainty

    Ian Dainty Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > > I used mine for 42 nights last year. Bust one pole. Mended it. Carried on. Thankyou Mr Pro-
    > > Action.
    > Area you being serious? Never can tell with you.

    Yes, that reply was serious. I was loading my tent with various bedding and I accidentally leant
    against the front pole very briefly. In no time at all a jagged broken pole was peeking cheekily out
    through the ripped flysheet. Fortunately the spare sections that I've salvaged out of broken poles
    for the Voyager did the job. It wasn't a "corner" section. If they break, the tent is junk I think.

    > (By the way, send me your real email address, I tried emailing you but couldn't get through.)
    >
    > Paul

    Right oh.

    Ian.

  17. Fran wrote:

    > Cue my very pretentious 4-season 2-man tents that I got for £80 each (half price) in The Outdoors
    > Shop. Low profile geodesic domes, all of them. High profile colour and I probably wouldn't want to
    > take them backpacking 'cos of the weight

    I wouldn't want to take them backpacking because of the colour! Okay on a campsite but not exactly
    subtle for wild camping (unless you have a very bad memory and can't remember where you camped).

    Paul
    --

  18. yup wrote:

    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > not sure you have the right person,

    My "serious" and "email" comments were aimed at Ian.

    > I havn't had a night out in a tent for about 15 years now (since I achieved my Gold Duke of
    > Edinburghs Award)

    The experience scarred you for life did it? :)

    > but my interest in walking has really taken off in the last year. Well today I was mooching around
    > our local Decathlon store and they had a sale! I got a nice 60 litre pack for only £40 quid

    Not bad, I got my 60L for £35 in a sale in Blacks a few years ago and I'm just as happy with it as
    with more expensive rucksacks.

    > and £65 quids worth of sleeping bag for only £30 quid.

    I'm guessing that wouldn't keep you warm in the snow though.

    > Now I'm itching for a tiny tent and a night out somewhere. I remembered everyone raving about the
    > argos tent last year so I thought I'd ask.

    Well go ahead and buy it. Be aware though that it's an "airy" tent,
    i.e. the inner tent is full of holes (midge netting). Probably makes it cooler in summer but
    draughtier in winter

    > PS, your web site is superb

    Thanks, way out of date though, not updated for a while. Will be rectified before too long.

    Paul
    --

  19. Ian Dainty wrote:

    > The Argos tent should be owned by everyone. It's a bargain. There have been a few complaints about
    > the build quality but apart from snapping a pole (my own fault) I've had no problems myself. It's
    > got a curious narrow pointy bit at one end which is too small to fit a rucksack

    Do you mean the head end of the inner tent? I store lots of stuff from my rucksack there.

    > and the outer "vestibule" is about big enough to store a pair of boots and not much more.

    Well I can just about jam an empty rucksack at the end, plus a stove and boots there.

    > And there is absolutely no room to cook inside the tent or even inside the fly....

    For the uninitated, cooking is practical provided you pitch the tent carefully with respect to the
    wind. So long as the porch is on the lee side of the wind you can open the door and cook just
    outside the tent whilst sitting inside without too much problem.

    If the weather is really foul you can go outside the tent, unhook the inner and outer (at the
    front), peg the outer back in (bit of a kludge since it's not really designed for that) then you can
    roll back the inner tent to create a reasonable porch space for cooking. Not ideal but doable in an
    emergency.

    > in fact it's rubbish!
    >
    > Actually not. It's fairly light,

    Mine weighs in at 1998g.

    > it packs small,

    Very small, that's one of the best things about it. 2/3rds the size of my Nallo 2 which is almost
    identical in weight.

    > it stands up to a entire night of driving rain, there is very little condensation in the morning,

    Indeed.

    > and its as cheap as a cheap thing.

    Cheaper.

    I've spent more on computer games that I've had far less value for money out of.

    Paul