The Argos Tent Thread

>>>You won't be able to attend Argos Tent Owners Club Events in your spacepacker!
>>
>>And how often do these happen?! ;-)
>
> Never, but they are a nice theoretical possibility.

A "gedanken" tent event in fact !

--
Boo

W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote
>In article <[email protected]>, Gordon <[email protected]> writes
>>>Yeah but how much are they being paid to get it right?
>>
>>Too much, if you refer to the soccer players, ask Leeds United. :)
>
>I refer to the DG of the BBC!

I believe the cartoon in today's telegraph shows a B.R. poster saying something like:

TRAINS DELAYED BY SNOW
BBC BLAMED
--
Gordon

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:11:13 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Wow! Don't think I'll beat that yearly total anytime soon. Would you class them as "pleasure" camps
>though or just necessity camps?

For the Londonites, the proaction can be picked up for 15 quid at the Tolworth computer fair, just
look for the Surrey computing group stand.

<snip>

>Well this is extremely short notice, but how about tomorrow? Somewhere in the Beacons. Haven't
>decided exactly where yet. I'm going with my nephew to test out our new sleeping bags in the cold.
>Somewhere near wood. Campfire obligatory. Wild but probably not far from a road, so multiple trips
>to the car possible if you want to bring a ton of stuff. A packet of spuds would go nicely for
>baking in the fire. Probably very little walking, I still haven't shaken off this cold completely
>so I'm not up for anything strenuous.

Have you tried the British amry rations? it certainly seems to give my brood that extra impetus when
they are asked if they want to go camping. You get a huge amount of choccies, sweets, tea coffee
etc. for your money. French army rations were a bit cordon bleu for them, the fags ended up binned
(military Gauloise [cough]) and the Eau de vie (very strong alcohol) was looked after by dad {hic}.

The British rations should cost you about 8 quid and are great value

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

Harbinger wrote:

>>> The British rations should cost you about 8 quid and are great value

> http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr408.html

Wow! Not exactly the Atkins diet is it? Or any diet for that matter. They certainly like their
desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut out sugar!

Not particularly lightweight either by the looks of them.

And these are just 24 hour rations?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> writes:

> > http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr408.html
>
> Wow! Not exactly the Atkins diet is it? Or any diet for that matter. They certainly like their
> desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut out sugar!
>
> Not particularly lightweight either by the looks of them.
>
> And these are just 24 hour rations?

Bung the whole thing in a pot, add curry powder and et voila, linesman's curry. Deeee-lish!

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck mailto:[email protected]

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Chris Eilbeck, gave forth these words of wisdom:

>> > http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr408.html
>>
>> Wow! Not exactly the Atkins diet is it? Or any diet for that matter. They certainly like their
>> desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut out sugar!
>>
>> Not particularly lightweight either by the looks of them.
>>
>> And these are just 24 hour rations?
>
>Bung the whole thing in a pot, add curry powder and et voila, linesman's curry. Deeee-lish!
Yep! and take a couple of small onions and a bulb of garlic with you to add a bit of flavour. Only
problem is that they ARE heavy IIRC, (long time ago since I used them!) Maybe nowadays the services
have a lighter version. Could do with some links to dehydrated food etc for a planned trip in May if
anyone could help, As for the original thread, (The Argos Tent), I think I shall probably be joining
the fan club :) Cheers, Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK mailto:[email protected] http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

In article <[email protected]>, Alec Powell <[email protected]> writes
>ep! and take a couple of small onions and a bulb of garlic with you to add a bit of flavour. Only
>problem is that they ARE heavy IIRC, (long time ago since I used them!) Maybe nowadays the services
>have a lighter version. Could do with some links to dehydrated food etc for a planned trip in May
>if anyone could help, As for the original thread, (The Argos Tent), I think I shall probably be
>joining the fan club :)

Now this will open up all sorts of possibilities for future urfg Gatherings.

You could fish from the bedroom in Glan Aber :)

Welcome to Uk.rec.walking.

regards,
--
Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

On 4/2/04 8:41 am, in article [email protected], "Paul
Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wow! Not exactly the Atkins diet is it? Or any diet for that matter. They certainly like their
> desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut out sugar!
>
> Not particularly lightweight either by the looks of them.

I thought you like carting-up half a larder up a mountain !!!

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Paul Saunders, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.
Thanks for all this advice Paul, I look forward to not being there :) Cheers, Alec
--

Alec Powell wrote:

> Yep! and take a couple of small onions and a bulb of garlic with you to add a bit of flavour. Only
> problem is that they ARE heavy IIRC, (long time ago since I used them!)

That's what I thought. Perhaps okay for a very short walk to base camp.

> Maybe nowadays the services have a lighter version.

They did have one lightweight pack on offer, meusli and dried stuff I think. I'd rather choose my
own from Tesco.

> Could do with some links to dehydrated food etc for a planned trip in May if anyone could help,

Tesco, Sainsbury's?

I don't bother with special "camping" food, I just buy it all from supermarkets. Plenty of choice of
dehydrated food, and not just ready meals either, you can buy a lot of different dried ingredients
like mushrooms, onions, plain couscous and so on, then you can mix your own meals. Perhaps throw a
few dried ingredients together then add a soup for flavour. Plenty of exotic soups available too.

> As for the original thread, (The Argos Tent), I think I shall probably be joining the fan club :)

Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> writes:

> > As for the original thread, (The Argos Tent), I think I shall probably be joining the fan
> > club :)
>
> Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.

I just bought one too. Will try it out this weekend and report back. It'll only be valley level
(windy Lincolnshire) though but this weekend is meant to be quite cold from what I hear.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck mailto:[email protected] MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/ UKRA #1108
Level 2 UYB TRA #9527 PSMR

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:41:47 -0000, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Wow! Not exactly the Atkins diet is it? Or any diet for that matter. They certainly like their
>desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut out sugar!

They are good value for money though, dare I say (at the risk of exposing myself to the anti racist
mob) they are traditional British food.

>Not particularly lightweight either by the looks of them.

No but they fill the gap and you can save up the leftovers and make up a nice emergency ration pack.

>And these are just 24 hour rations?

Yep, but the French ones in the eighties were better (said at the risk of sounding racist), you got
a wine allowance, a bottle of pure Eau de Vie and fags that you could swap for more wine or Eau de
Vie. Once you finished that lot up, you could swap the food for more wine and Eau de
Vie.

Get yourself a Swedish army Trangia and your life will be complete (approx 10 quid).

--

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:32:09 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:

>And they're fine as long as you don't mind eating meat. Don't the British army have any
>vegetarians, or does it just pretend they don't exist?

They have a full range of vegetarian food as well, that company appears to have run out or not
bothered buying any in.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

[email protected] said...
> >Wow! Not exactly the Atkins diet is it? Or any diet for that matter. They certainly like their
> >desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut out sugar!
> >

> They are good value for money though, dare I say (at the risk of exposing myself to the anti
> racist mob) they are traditional British food.

And they're fine as long as you don't mind eating meat. Don't the British army have any vegetarians,
or does it just pretend they don't exist?
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:14:13 +0000, Alec Powell <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Paul Saunders, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>>Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.
>Thanks for all this advice Paul, I look forward to not being there :)

I am going to killfile you for being 'tentist'.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Paul Saunders, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>And these are just 24 hour rations?
IIRC ours used to be issued in 7 day packs, 1 man for 7days or 7 men for 1 day etc. They certainly
served us well , 35 years ago :-(. Nowadays, having become a bit of a softie, I think I'll try
something a bit lighter to carry :) Cheers, Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK mailto:[email protected] http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

On 04 Feb 2004 20:33:42 +0000, Chris Eilbeck
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bung the whole thing in a pot, add curry powder and et voila, linesman's curry. Deeee-lish!

Do not forget a bit or garlic, the only good thing about French rations was the fact that you could
trade the fags and get sloshed on the remainder (bearing in mind the additional wine ration).

p.s.

Pigeon is rearing to go on a ramble.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.