The Argos Tent Thread

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 00:04:48 -0000, "Graham Gowland"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well I always liked my rat-packs - except for 'Date Pudding'....... Yeuch! Oh - and rumour was that
>the foil pouches were irradiated - and who remembers the tins?

I remember them well, the puddings were great. Having lived many years and having told various
foreign soldiers about the wonderfull oatmeall blocks, I was saddened when I tasted one recently,
they have changed a hell of a lot.

Did you ever try 'special forces rations'? guaranteed to sort out dystentry and any tendency to veer
bog wards.

--

Please take the **** out of deemon when sending an e-mail.

> They certainly like their desserts. Pork Casserole with Treacle Pudding! And I'm trying to cut
> out sugar!
>
> Not particularly lightweight either by the looks of them.
>
> And these are just 24 hour rations?
>
> Paul

Well I always liked my rat-packs - except for 'Date Pudding'....... Yeuch! Oh - and rumour was that
the foil pouches were irradiated - and who remembers the tins?

---

Harbinger <[email protected]> writes:

> Pigeon is rearing to go on a ramble.

Cool. A mate of mine might come along too. I'll get a few maps and find somewhere decent to camp and
somewhere to leave the car. I'll be in touch.

FWIW I tried out the Argos tent at the weekend in coldest, wildest Lincolnshire. Wind was a steady
25mph gusting to 35+ and temp was -1C with snow and hail. I was toasty warm in my British Army sleep
system on my 9 quid Aldi thermarest-ripoff. As Harbinger will attest, I'm a right fat biffer and
there was plenty of space to turn around in a sitting position and read when lying down. I'm glad I
took my smaller rucksack though. Definitely a well spent 30 quid.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck mailto:[email protected]

[email protected] said...
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:32:09 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >And they're fine as long as you don't mind eating meat. Don't the British army have any
> >vegetarians, or does it just pretend they don't exist?
> >

> They have a full range of vegetarian food as well, that company appears to have run out or not
> bothered buying any in.

Excellent news! That might be worth looking for if I ever get tempted to take more than a choccy bar
with me for the day.
--
Fran If you need my email address please ask.

"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> writes:

>Alec Powell wrote:

>> As for the original thread, (The Argos Tent), I think I shall probably be joining the fan
>> club :)

>Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.

I'm struggling to distinguish between someone who was there but wasn't seen because it was nowhere,
and someone who wasn't seen because he wasn't there. Didn't Lewis Carrol sort this problem out
rather nicely?
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chris Malcolm, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>Alec Powell wrote:
>
>>> As for the original thread, (The Argos Tent), I think I shall probably be joining the fan
>>> club :)
>
>>Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.
>
>I'm struggling to distinguish between someone who was there but wasn't seen because it was nowhere,
>and someone who wasn't seen because he wasn't there. Didn't Lewis Carrol sort this problem out
>rather nicely?
Chris, Now, I always though Lewis Carroll penned this: "As I was going up the stair, I met a man who
was not there, he wasn't there again today, I wish that man would go away." But it appears to be
written by Hugh Mearns, from his poem "The Psychoed". Which, pray, is the Lewis Carroll poem to
which we refer?

And anyway, You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out
whether Paul and I don't meet up. So there! Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK mailto:[email protected] http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Fran wrote:
> [email protected] said...
>> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:32:09 -0000, Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> And they're fine as long as you don't mind eating meat. Don't the British army have any
>>> vegetarians, or does it just pretend they don't exist?
>>>

>> They have a full range of vegetarian food as well, that company appears to have run out or not
>> bothered buying any in.
>
> Excellent news! That might be worth looking for if I ever get tempted to take more than a choccy
> bar with me for the day.

There are vegetarian ones on this site.

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/20.shtml

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:- [email protected] Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk IRC:- Sandyb in #rabble
uk3.arcnet.vapor.com Port:6667 #Rabble Channel Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/rabbled

Alec Powell <[email protected]> writes:

>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chris Malcolm, gave forth these words of wisdom:

>>>Jolly good, it'll be nice to not see you at our next non-existent Argos tent owners meet.

>>I'm struggling to distinguish between someone who was there but wasn't seen because it was
>>nowhere, and someone who wasn't seen because he wasn't there. Didn't Lewis Carrol sort this
>>problem out rather nicely?

>Chris, Now, I always though Lewis Carroll penned this: "As I was going up the stair, I met a man
>who was not there, he wasn't there again today, I wish that man would go away." But it appears to
>be written by Hugh Mearns, from his poem "The Psychoed". Which, pray, is the Lewis Carroll poem to
>which we refer?

Not a poem. Here's the relevant bits from "Through the Looking Glass":

-------------

`I see nobody on the road,' said Alice.

`I only wish _I_ had such eyes,' the King remarked in a fretful tone. `To be able to see Nobody! And
at that distance, too! Why, it's as much as _I_ can do to see real people, by this light!'

`Who did you pass on the road?' the King went on, holding out his hand to the Messenger for
some more hay.

`Nobody,' said the Messenger.

`Quite right,' said the King: `this young lady saw him too. So of course Nobody walks
slower than you.

`I do my best,' the Messenger said in a sulky tone. `I'm sure nobody walks much faster than I do!'

`He can't do that,' said the King, `or else he'd have been here first.'

------------

Well, that certainly clarifies things. H'ever, since it's nearly fifty years since I read that, I
may have forgotten other relevant bits.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

In message <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders <[email protected]> writes
>Alec Powell wrote:
>
>> And anyway, You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out
>> whether Paul and I don't meet up. So there!
>
>So when isn't the next one?

It wasn't yesterday - and I did not arrive late to see if there was anyone there and so didn't get
to see if a lone person had not turned up and left in disgust that no-one else had not turned up.
The non-existent minutes of the meeting can be found at:

www.nowhere.man.to.be.found

--
Martin Richardson
216/284 Munros (34/34 'Furths')

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:57:00 +0000, Martin Richardson wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Paul Saunders <[email protected]> writes
>>Alec Powell wrote:
>>
>>> And anyway, You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out
>>> whether Paul and I don't meet up. So there!
>>
>>So when isn't the next one?
>>
>It wasn't yesterday - and I did not arrive late to see if there was anyone there and so didn't get
>to see if a lone person had not turned up and left in disgust that no-one else had not turned up.

At least you didn't flatten your car battery. :)

Alec Powell <[email protected]> writes:

>You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out whether Paul and
>I don't meet up. So there!

I am a "non-existent Argos tent" owner, can I not come too?

Roos

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Roos Eisma, gave forth these words of wisdom:
>Alec Powell <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out whether Paul and
>>I don't meet up. So there!
>
>I am a "non-existent Argos tent" owner, can I not come too?
>
>Roos
Sorry Roos but you're out of the game. We are Argos tent owners who are not meeting at the "non-
existent Argos tent owners meet". It would appear from your post that you own a "non-existent Argos
tent" and therefore do not qualify not to meet up. If however your "non existent Argos tent" becomes
an Argos tent then you are cordially invited to not join us. Cheers, Alec
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK mailto:[email protected] http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

* Alec Powell <[email protected]> deigned to grace uk.rec.walking
* with their presence by declaiming:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Roos Eisma, gave forth these words of wisdom:
> >Alec Powell <[email protected]> writes:
> >
>>>You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out whether Paul
>>>and I don't meet up. So there!
> >
> >I am a "non-existent Argos tent" owner, can I not come too?
> >
> >Roos
> Sorry Roos but you're out of the game. We are Argos tent owners who are not meeting at the "non-
> existent Argos tent owners meet". It would appear from your post that you own a "non-existent
> Argos tent" and therefore do not qualify not to meet up. If however your "non existent Argos tent"
> becomes an Argos tent then you are cordially invited to not join us. Cheers, Alec

So that's why I missed everyone - I went to the "non-existant Argos tent owners meet" instead of the
"Argos tents owners non-existant meet"!

REgards: Jim Ford

Jim Ford <[email protected]> wrote
>* Alec Powell <[email protected]> deigned to grace uk.rec.walking
>* with their presence by declaiming:

>> >I am a "non-existent Argos tent" owner, can I not come too?
>> >
>> >Roos
>> Sorry Roos but you're out of the game. We are Argos tent owners who are not meeting at the "non-
>> existent Argos tent owners meet". It would appear from your post that you own a "non-existent
>> Argos tent" and therefore do not qualify not to meet up. If however your "non existent Argos
>> tent" becomes an Argos tent then you are cordially invited to not join us. Cheers, Alec
>
>So that's why I missed everyone - I went to the "non-existant Argos tent owners meet" instead of
>the "Argos tents owners non-existant meet"!
>
>REgards: Jim Ford

So did I, and I didn't see anyone, there was a huge crowd of us.
--
Gordon

In message <[email protected]>, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> writes
>Alec Powell <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>You're going to have to go to the non-existent Argos tent owners meet to find out whether Paul and
>>I don't meet up. So there!
>
>I am a "non-existent Argos tent" owner, can I not come too?

Yes - you can't.
--

Paul Saunders wrote:
> Harbinger wrote:
>
>> Get yourself a Swedish army Trangia and your life will be complete (approx 10 quid).
>
> I used to have a Trangia. What's the difference with the Swedish version?
>
> Paul

It is oval instead of round and it has a bigger burner that burns more efficiently and uses less
fuel. Geoerge, my mate, got one to replace his old one and was very impressed with it. On our five
days trip this year he used half the fuel he ususlly uses. See the stove here, half way down page.

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/14.shtml

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

Sandy wrote:

> It is oval instead of round and it has a bigger burner that burns more efficiently and uses less
> fuel. Geoerge, my mate, got one to replace his old one and was very impressed with it. On our five
> days trip this year he used half the fuel he ususlly uses. See the stove here, half way down page.

Curious design! Still uses meths though, which is heavier than gas and more expensive than petrol.

What's the overall weight like, including the pans?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Andy Howell wrote:

>>> Hmm, I was looking forward to joining you lot on a future expedition, but I'm not sure that I
>>> would actually understand what was going on!
>>
>> Well I'll explain. What's going on is that we're all trying to democratically discuss the route
>> for the next day's walk (interrupted by frequent side-discussions of Photoshop), but as we get
>> progressively drunker our plans get less and less coherent and eventually nothing gets decided at
>> all. Next morning we have a quick hung over chat outside the tents and spend 5 minutes deciding
>> on the route. Then we start the walk at 9:30am precisely.
>
> Sounds un-missable. Where are you going next?

No idea, no plans as yet. Anyone can suggest a place and time (and preferably organise it too). Why
don't you suggest something?

Paul