The Argus thread

Leon

Oct 31, 2002
Hi there

I am suprised there has been no Argus thread yet so decided to kick it off. Who of you are going down to Cape Town and what time are you aiming for ?

I will going down for my second and want crack the four hour mark which I missed with four minutes last year. My training has been going much better and I am planning to be at least 7kg lighter so I can't wait.

Leon

I'm going down. Will be my 3rd. My first was 10 years ago on the old(new) route. I'll be aiming for a sub 3. I aimed for a 3:15 last year and ended up with a 3:22 including a puncture.

Have you checked your seeding yet? I'm in H and will be starting 07:05. Half an hour earlier then last year.

I'll be going down. havnt been training too hard but am hoping for a sub 4. It'll be my 6th time.

For those who haven't checked the route the new route is al but the old route with the old chappies.

Change one Kommetjie is out off the route which makes it easier. they Shortcut is a very easy hill. The surface of chappies is very smooth and nicely rolling.
The total distance is a little longer so add a few minutes to the expected time.

What to watch out for:
The cateyes on chappies they are big and rough, if you hit they you can waste your tire.

Coming down chappies there is one corner who is not in tarmac this is a special one. This corner is sharper then all the others don't get to courageous or you'll wipe out.

After that the toll gates will be an "interesting" feature when big groups off lesser skilled cyclists arrive.

In sea point you go left just before the main part of town there is a small island in the middle and a roundabout just after. watch out for crashes. This actually counts for all the small roads after chappies some tricky parts in the last k's that can cause crashes.

I did the chappies route in my fisrt year. It's mile better than the de-tour route. And basically plain sailing once you get over suikerbossie. I'm looking forward to it.

Originally posted by ouzo
I did the chappies route in my fisrt year. It's mile better than the de-tour route. And basically plain sailing once you get over suikerbossie. I'm looking forward to it.

Difference is that the route is longer now. You will go a couple off k's past the old end through roads that are not that suited for bunches. Last K's are flat not downhill. No hills though in that part of the race.

My question is where the groups will start catching each other. I'm starting in E (having done a decent 3h15m07s last year), but I have a rival in D that I need to desperately catch (we work for the same company *grin*)

Smitswinkel will probably be one place, and then Chappies, since I think Suikerbossie will be one long stream of riders...maarten, any tips for catching the next group (I just finished the EP Herald MTN race in 3h00m49s, starting and finishing with the front of the A bunch), so I think my fitness is fine for the new route. Any advice appreciated :)

I sold my entry. I will be in Australia doing a LSD trip.

Originally posted by Fooz
My question is where the groups will start catching each other. I'm starting in E (having done a decent 3h15m07s last year), but I have a rival in D that I need to desperately catch (we work for the same company *grin*)

Smitswinkel will probably be one place, and then Chappies, since I think Suikerbossie will be one long stream of riders...maarten, any tips for catching the next group (I just finished the EP Herald MTN race in 3h00m49s, starting and finishing with the front of the A bunch), so I think my fitness is fine for the new route. Any advice appreciated :)

Thats a question without an answer as it largely depends on how your group starts. If there is nice cooperation soon you might get em in fish hoek or even earlier. If D works nicely together you might never see them(the main group that is you'll catch some laggards).

Places where the bunches are going to fall apart Smitswinkel, chappies and suikerbossie. Soetwater is too short to open up real gaps that won't be closed. If the wind is blowing nicely comming from south east don't be surprised that bunches shatter already on the coast between Muizenberg and simonstown somwhere. Its a nice place to gutter all the lazy wheelsitters(It won't make you a lot off friends but its ood for your selfconfidence and to create a smaller group for safer riding)