The Armstrong Lie ( Official Trailer )

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
An exposition of cyclist Lance Armstrong as he trains for his eighth Tour de France victory.

0.jpg

i am looking forward to the release of this film. should offer a few laughs with the hindsight provided by the usada reasoned decision. i have read elsewhere the director was a bit put off with armstrong's well practised lying ability.

I think it'll be interesting for perspective, but they're won't be anything new in it.

not expecting any revelations from the movie. my interest is more in the reworking of a film which most likely started off as another sports hagiography to one which had to reinterpret the statements of its central figure in light of the report.

Nothing new here for most of us, but perhaps it will open a few more eyes. The best part of the trailer is the quote that best illustrates why this forum had turned into a war zone a few times over the past decade:

"Such a huge number of people wanted to believe, that they hated anyone who didn’t believe."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/oct/20/lance-armstrong-drugs-in-sport quite the interesting interview kimmage conducts with the director. certainly would have been interesting to see the results of that companion piece they discuss.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrong-exclusive-interview-part-1

cycling news releases part one of cycling's madonna tries to be relevant interview.

have to admit, he's still as sly a fox as ever. fascinating to read when he switches between first person singular and first person plural. he's still shifting the blame to the "we" were all forced to do it to win ****, but dodges anything substantive. love that the we keeps showing up, but the i profited enormously through it all. of particular interest is the new relationship with verbruggen and mc quaid. "i don't think highly of pat or hein today". looks like a rat fight brewing up.

Reactions: limerickman
Originally Posted by slovakguy
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/lance-armstrong-exclusive-interview-part-1

cycling news releases part one of cycling's madonna tries to be relevant interview.

have to admit, he's still as sly a fox as ever. fascinating to read when he switches between first person singular and first person plural. he's still shifting the blame to the "we" were all forced to do it to win ****, but dodges anything substantive. love that the we keeps showing up, but the i profited enormously through it all. of particular interest is the new relationship with verbruggen and mc quaid. "i don't think highly of pat or hein today". looks like a rat fight brewing up.
He does a fair bit of evading for sure but it is an interesting read.

I reckon he still refuses to accept that he has cheated, whatever about accepting that he's been caught.

He only evaded the topics that were most important and most interesting.

part two of the interview is up at cycling news' website. wow. does he like to play the victim. not only does he give himself the pass for cheating his way to the top of the podium because "everybody else was jumping of that bridge, mom," he shows himself just as spiteful a person as when he was riding as he offers up a few brickbats for walsh.

all in all, still a softball interview. so many followup questions i suppose the author couldn't ask for fear of having his interviewee walk out on him.

DB: Well what about on the other side of the fence, guys like David Walsh? What were your feelings towards him and have they changed since 1999?
LA: Obviously David and I have had a long history. I have mixed feelings. He was right about some things but I saw a side of him along the way that wasn’t correct. He knows better than anyone the times he’s been caught out, but whatever. I doubt that he will read this interview because he’s in the middle of his global victory tour. I’ve tried to resolve that situation as best as I could and I think that I did

DB: But back to the question. Do you have, even if it’s grudging or if it’s too soon, do you have respect for him as a journalist. I won’t say you’re similar but you’re both dogged….
LA: You took the words right out of my mouth. David and I are similar. I was a win at all costs kind of guy. David is a win at all costs kind of guy. Even if it means embellishing, tweaking. Was he right that I was doping in those years? Absolutely and hats off to him, but there were times he would have done anything to do that story. But I understand that, I was the same way. That was the world I lived for a long time

Armstrong still can't seem to handle the truth, it would appear!

what struck me about those q & a's was how armstrong has to attach his motivation to walsh's. i cheated/he cheated, so he's just as bad. just finished reading "wheelmen" and it's the same way he looks at usada. i cheated on the bike/they cheated on the investigation. another thing to catch my attention in part two was the bit about how his doping was done in such a way that he figured he'd never be caught, but still pushes back on the level of sophistication he and postal employed in keeping the action in the dark. he is one strange person.

on "wheelmen" it strikes me that his refusal to co-operate is the last arrow he has to use against usada. the authors recount a scene where armstrong is apprised that his suspension will be reduced to eight years instead of the year he thought he should get for co-operating. armstrong explodes and pretty much states he'll only work with wada or a t and r.

just the same, only a few more weeks before the hog has his day.

Originally Posted by slovakguy
what struck me about those q & a's was how armstrong has to attach his motivation to walsh's. i cheated/he cheated, so he's just as bad. just finished reading "wheelmen" and it's the same way he looks at usada. i cheated on the bike/they cheated on the investigation. another thing to catch my attention in part two was the bit about how his doping was done in such a way that he figured he'd never be caught, but still pushes back on the level of sophistication he and postal employed in keeping the action in the dark. he is one strange person.

on "wheelmen" it strikes me that his refusal to co-operate is the last arrow he has to use against usada. the authors recount a scene where armstrong is apprised that his suspension will be reduced to eight years instead of the year he thought he should get for co-operating. armstrong explodes and pretty much states he'll only work with wada or a t and r.

just the same, only a few more weeks before the hog has his day.
Yeah, it's the same old shite from Armstrong.
He projects his own failings on to other people. "I was cheating but he was cheating too.......................so my cheating is not bad"

It's a very infantile attempt on Armstrong's part to justify all that he did and all that he didn't do throughout his doping career. The conclusion is that it is clear that despite his platitudes he still refuses to sincerely acknowledge the cheating/fraud that he has committed.
I can't but help thinking that Armstrong reminds me more and more of OJ Simpson in many regards.

The concentration upon the affects of his behaviour rather than addressing the causes of his behaviour are evident throughout this interview.

Like Simpson, I don't believe that Armstrong has the willingness or capacity to be reformed.

definitely agree on that last point.

troubling aspect of this most recent interview is how the press still agree to armstrong's conditions before he will sit down. they should, perhaps, leave him on the scrap heap until he's ready to face a no-holds-barred interview.

part three of the interview held my interest. truly, armstrong has a differing view of the events. putting this section up against "wheelmen" should have those authors going back over their notes.

"It’s easy to say I cast people out, but if you stand back and look at it you could almost say I’ve been loyal to a fault."
[and then, under his breath, as long as they kept kissing my ass and i could get something out of them.]

"Once the charging letter came we had no choice. It was done. We asked for the meeting in June and then there was no communication. We were dug in on both sides." [my, oh my, this does not even come close to the description of events in "wheelmen". usada had been after him to come in and talk and were explicit in what was on the table. as for ironman france, the authors version seems to suggest armstrong's lawyers had not apprised him of the terms on the table.]

"I was getting antagonising tweets from the UCI Overlord about what Travis was planning. How is it that the UCI Overlord knows what Travis is doing and I don’t?" [interesting question. is he specifically referring to pat? timeline says so, but he can't say his name? more to the point, the book does not have this tidbit. oddity is that the uci, both in the persons of h.v. and p.m. were publicly supportive, even well after the release of the reasoned decision.]

now, i'm looking forward to part four.

Originally Posted by limerickman

Yeah, it's the same old shite from Armstrong.
He projects his own failings on to other people. "I was cheating but he was cheating too.......................so my cheating is not bad"

It's a very infantile attempt on Armstrong's part to justify all that he did and all that he didn't do throughout his doping career. The conclusion is that it is clear that despite his platitudes he still refuses to sincerely acknowledge the cheating/fraud that he has committed.
I can't but help thinking that Armstrong reminds me more and more of OJ Simpson in many regards.

The concentration upon the affects of his behaviour rather than addressing the causes of his behaviour are evident throughout this interview.

Like Simpson, I don't believe that Armstrong has the willingness or capacity to be reformed.
Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, which is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders.

Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:
  • Believing that you're better than others
  • Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
  • Exaggerating your achievements or talents
  • Expecting constant praise and admiration
  • Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
  • Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
  • Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
  • Taking advantage of others
  • Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
  • Being jealous of others
  • Believing that others are jealous of you
  • Trouble keeping healthy relationships
  • Setting unrealistic goals
  • Being easily hurt and rejected
  • Having a fragile self-esteem
  • Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional
Although some features of narcissistic personality disorder may seem like having confidence or strong self-esteem, it's not the same. Narcissistic personality disorder crosses the border of healthy confidence and self-esteem into thinking so highly of yourself that you put yourself on a pedestal. In contrast, people who have healthy confidence and self-esteem don't value themselves more than they value others.

When you have narcissistic personality disorder, you may come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious. You often monopolize conversations. You may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior. You may have a sense of entitlement. And when you don't receive the special treatment to which you feel entitled, you may become very impatient or angry. You may insist on having "the best" of everything — the best car, athletic club, medical care or social circles, for instance.

But underneath all this behavior often lies a fragile self-esteem. You have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have a sense of secret shame and humiliation. And in order to make yourself feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and efforts to belittle the other person to make yourself appear better.

Reactions: limerickman
Originally Posted by mpre53
Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by dramatic, emotional behavior, which is in the same category as antisocial and borderline personality disorders.

Narcissistic personality disorder symptoms may include:
  • Believing that you're better than others
  • Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
  • Exaggerating your achievements or talents
  • Expecting constant praise and admiration
  • Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
  • Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
  • Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
  • Taking advantage of others
  • Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
  • Being jealous of others
  • Believing that others are jealous of you
  • Trouble keeping healthy relationships
  • Setting unrealistic goals
  • Being easily hurt and rejected
  • Having a fragile self-esteem
  • Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional
Although some features of narcissistic personality disorder may seem like having confidence or strong self-esteem, it's not the same. Narcissistic personality disorder crosses the border of healthy confidence and self-esteem into thinking so highly of yourself that you put yourself on a pedestal. In contrast, people who have healthy confidence and self-esteem don't value themselves more than they value others.

When you have narcissistic personality disorder, you may come across as conceited, boastful or pretentious. You often monopolize conversations. You may belittle or look down on people you perceive as inferior. You may have a sense of entitlement. And when you don't receive the special treatment to which you feel entitled, you may become very impatient or angry. You may insist on having "the best" of everything — the best car, athletic club, medical care or social circles, for instance.

But underneath all this behavior often lies a fragile self-esteem. You have trouble handling anything that may be perceived as criticism. You may have a sense of secret shame and humiliation. And in order to make yourself feel better, you may react with rage or contempt and efforts to belittle the other person to make yourself appear better.
Thanks for this very interesting and informative analysis, Mpre.

Are you a professional in this field (Psychology)?

cycling news has part four up for reading. got my hopes up for nothing. biggest item in today's interview is armstrong's continued displeasure with landis. something to do, i suppose, with landis' continuation of legal proceedings. if only landis would drop the suit, i'm sure armstrong would be bff's forev's with lance.