The Ashes !

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
Having been educated in a fee paying school - our curriculum required us to play cricket and rugby.
This started my life long fascination with the game of cricket.

Having watched the sport for many years, the Ashes series in Australia has to make this current English team the weakest I've ever seen.
Yeah, an Aussie team containing McGrath, Ponting, Warne, Hayden were always going to be difficult to beat - but England where truly pathetic.
Giles, Harmison, Strauss - the lot of them apart from maybe Panesaar and Flintoff and Hoggard, were rubbish.

Sad to see Warney and McGrath and Langer retire.

The Ashes should be moved - permanently - from Lords to the MCG.

Simple truth from this: England where ****. We sucked big time. Total whitewash.

But we'll come back next time and hopefully we'll have a team that's fully fit, and the Aussies will have lost some key men, some martians will assassinate the top 30 cricketers in Australia and we'll bring the ashes home.

But seriously, we're going to get kicked next time as well. And loose every rugby game for the next two years. Etc. Etc. But we can still win sailing, and rowing. And track cycling.

While I do agree England were below par this Ashes - you can't blame them completely....

Australia didn't lose a single test in 2007 - this has to be one of their strongest test teams ever.

Hopefully Vaughn will stable the english ship!

Eldron said:
While I do agree England were below par this Ashes - you can't blame them completely....

Australia didn't lose a single test in 2007 - this has to be one of their strongest test teams ever.

Hopefully Vaughn will stable the english ship!

The Aussies have been unbeaten in their last 12 tests - very impressive, I agree.

Eldrack said:
But seriously, we're going to get kicked next time as well. And loose every rugby game for the next two years. Etc. Etc. But we can still win sailing, and rowing. And track cycling.

Don't forget darts, if you could still beat us at least one sport, that would be a cert. :)

Eldrack said:
Simple truth from this: England where ****. We sucked big time. Total whitewash.

But we'll come back next time and hopefully we'll have a team that's fully fit, and the Aussies will have lost some key men, some martians will assassinate the top 30 cricketers in Australia and we'll bring the ashes home.

track cycling, me thinks u might be smoking some good stuff, while eng are much better than they were and hoy and co are truely world class, overall i still think a full strenght aussie team would beat or at least match a full strength pom team but u may indeed win the darts and moutain bogman championships, and maybe the cheese chasing thingy

slowdave said:
track cycling, me thinks u might be smoking some good stuff, while eng are much better than they were and hoy and co are truely world class, overall i still think a full strenght aussie team would beat or at least match a full strength pom team but u may indeed win the darts and moutain bogman championships, and maybe the cheese chasing thingy

In Athens, the Brits got the better of the Aussies on the track.

It would be great to see a matchup though between both teams again.

What is 'Cricket' ? How does one play with a Cricket?

(You guys have a sense of humor don't you?) :D

lwedge said:

thats exactly what the poms have been saying for the past few months!!

lwedge said:

Lw, in basic terms, Baseball would be a distant, and more recent, off shoot of the ancient game of cricket, which is played at international level by India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Australia, England, Bangledesh, Zimbabwe and the West Indies (comprising various islands such as Jamaica, Antigua, Trinidad).

The game is complex to the uninitiated : but it's a superb game once you get the hang of the rules.

Here is some help :

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hosking/cricket/explanation.htm

limerickman said:
Lw, in basic terms, Baseball would be a distant, and more recent, off shoot of the ancient game of cricket, which is played at international level by India, Pakistan, New Zealand, Australia, England, Bangledesh, Zimbabwe and the West Indies (comprising various islands such as Jamaica, Antigua, Trinidad).

The game is complex to the uninitiated : but it's a superb game once you get the hang of the rules.

Here is some help :

A few years back I was in Bermuda. I went to a cricket match and watched. Could not understand a thing. Half the team out there seemed to be asleep....... But the match was drawing a large crowd so it must have it's high points.....
But I found it an interesting way to drink a few beers.......

limerickman said:

Here is some help :

Thanks Lim,

We do have a large population of Pakistanis and Indians that work here. They will play Cricket in the soccer\baseball field next to the building most everyday when the weather permits.

wolfix said:
A few years back I was in Bermuda. I went to a cricket match and watched. Could not understand a thing. Half the team out there seemed to be asleep....... But the match was drawing a large crowd so it must have it's high points.....
But I found it an interesting way to drink a few beers.......

Wolf - yeah that's what a lot of people do, do : they go to the match drink all day and end up having a good time!
As regards understanding the game - it is difficult at first but if you stick with it, you do get the hang of it.

I have to confess I don't understand American (Gridiron) football.
But there you go.
It's probably a very easy game to understand.

I do understand baseball - and I used follow it too.
But coverage over here is zero, so my interest wanned.
Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens sprint to mind.

limerickman said:
Having been educated in a fee paying school - our curriculum required us to play cricket and rugby.
This started my life long fascination with the game of cricket.

Having watched the sport for many years, the Ashes series in Australia has to make this current English team the weakest I've ever seen.
Yeah, an Aussie team containing McGrath, Ponting, Warne, Hayden were always going to be difficult to beat - but England where truly pathetic.
Giles, Harmison, Strauss - the lot of them apart from maybe Panesaar and Flintoff and Hoggard, were rubbish.

Sad to see Warney and McGrath and Langer retire.

The Ashes should be moved - permanently - from Lords to the MCG.
Surely they didn't perform as badly as my country consistently does in soccer. Interesting, unrelated-mind you, pic ;)

davidmc said:
Surely they didn't perform as badly as my country consistently does in soccer. Interesting, unrelated-mind you, pic ;)

The USA managed to get to the world cup finals - last 32 in the world - which is a superb performance given the low level interest in the game Stateside.
In addition, the USA had to win their qualifying matches to get to the WC.
All in all a very good performance.

Cricket is played by a minute number of countries in comparison.
The England Cricket team qualify for the Cricket World Cup automatically.
Given the small number of countries - I would still say that England would struggle to qualify if they had to play through the qualificiation process.

limerickman said:
The Aussies have been unbeaten in their last 12 tests - very impressive, I agree.
Cry not into the beer gentlemen, for all will turn around eventually, be it that, I am not a follower of willow and leather, it did arouse a slight interest for me. 20-20 is the stuff to watch, with a slog fest for one and all, Gillie and Roy, now there be a fine pair.
Cast back the mind, to the days of yor, t'was merely a few years hence, that the Calipso Kings could lay claim to any title they desired, Dalglish in Liverpool colours had magic boots and, could not put a foot wrong. The Beloved West Ham was know as the football academy. Oh, memory lane becons, them's were the days.

Aye and drug free champions rode steel velo's too.

ellno#1 said:
Cry not into the beer gentlemen, for all will turn around eventually, be it that, I am not a follower of willow and leather, it did arouse a slight interest for me. 20-20 is the stuff to watch, with a slog fest for one and all, Gillie and Roy, now there be a fine pair.
Cast back the mind, to the days of yor, t'was merely a few years hence, that the Calipso Kings could lay claim to any title they desired, Dalglish in Liverpool colours had magic boots and, could not put a foot wrong. The Beloved West Ham was know as the football academy. Oh, memory lane becons, them's were the days.

Very good.
I remember those Calipso boys - Greenidge/Richards/Lloyd - well.
They were a superb side.

As for Dalglish - superb.
But West Ham? They always played nice football - really class players like Devonshire, Brooking etc - but they never managed to win anything (apart from the odd FA Cup).
Memories indeed.

ellno#1 said:

Did someone say 20-20?

Eldron flashes his Pro20 tickets for SA v. Pakistan on 2 Feb 2007....

Should be a thriller - pace bowling vs. big hitters on a mild to lively pitch!

/prays that Graeme Smith finds some form and runs soon.......