The Aussie Thread versus This Forum is Dying Thread

Kind of looks like the TAN crowd are moving back to bikeforums.net - does that mean that FID wins??? ;)

confusedfan said:
Kind of looks like the TAN crowd are moving back to bikeforums.net - does that mean that FID wins??? ;)
I dunno...I didn't know we were competing...;)

I checked out Bike Forums. The site looks very similar to CF except that it predated CF by less than a year and it has approximately three to five times the number of active members.

Did Cycling Forums rip-off Bike Forums? Does the moderation over there suck like DPF?

The forum categories don't look that well laid out. I don't know where we would all go. They've got a TdF forum and a road cycling forum???

Cyclingforums is actually better for advice on training and nutrition IMHO, unfortunately this spam thing is really killing it. For example, on the Health and Nutrition subforum, the entire first page is spam with the exception of one thread (the broken clavicle one).

Bikeforums is a about midway between CF and DP in terms of moderation and they have a profanity filter so you can't express yourself as robustly as you can here. (and it's nice to have the option of letting rip with the odd f-word once in a while) :p

I actually prefer CF (in case anyone was wondering) I just wish Steve the owner would get off his **** and do something about the spam.

matagi said:
I actually prefer CF (in case anyone was wondering) I just wish Steve the owner would get off his **** and do something about the spam.
I think people are making the conclusion that CF admin either:

1. Haven't clicked on this site since early December.
2. Don't care about the multiple complaint posts in the forum and the PM's sent by numerous members about the spam litter.
3. Have some financial arrangement with the spammers.

Any one of these conclusions isn't great. I suspect that the 100 or so posts a day in the FID thread since the start of December has skewed the total forum picture if they are looking at the stats...

thunder said:
Is the thread "This Forum is Dying" a poor imitation of "the Aussie thread"?
Man...I didn't realise that the TAN thread was the first ever endless social thread in forum history with meandering topics. What an invention...they should have patented the concept...:D :D :D

matagi said:

IMHO the spam isn't the worst of it - the broken search function means I don't bother to look at much else besides TFID. I browse by hitting the "today's topics" button and looking at the stuff I've subscribed too. If the search isn't working I can't be bothered to wade through everything.

Eden said:
IMHO the spam isn't the worst of it - the broken search function means I don't bother to look at much else besides TFID. I browse by hitting the "today's topics" button and looking at the stuff I've subscribed too. If the search isn't working I can't be bothered to wade through everything.
I can't understand that. Steve has told us he is doing a software upgrade this month...but all that has changed so far is that we have lost the ability to search.

Maybe we are in an interim limbo stage before the new software goes live and Steve needs to disconnect the search function to clear up some server space temporarily? But I'm guessing as I'm no techie.

Cranky, what're you doing? You're not in the FID dear.

I see the TAN'rs have gotten sucked in here to vote. Somehow I knew that would happen. :rolleyes:

Eden said:
The spam really really bugs me as it shows a don't care attitude (to me anyway). I've never really used the search functionality tho, I go straight to the GT forum and look for new posts, of course now a lot are spams....