The Back is Holding Up

John Hanson

Guest
For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
of front squats.

About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
injuries further.

Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
finish up.

So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

John Hanson wrote:
> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
> of front squats.
>
> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
> injuries further.
>
> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
> finish up.
>
> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)

Dally

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:47:18 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
>> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
>> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
>> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
>> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
>> of front squats.
>>
>> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
>> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
>> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
>> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
>> injuries further.
>>
>> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
>> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
>> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
>> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
>> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
>> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
>> finish up.
>>
>> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
>> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
>> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
>> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

>Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)

Hehe

John Hanson wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:47:18 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
> misc.fitness.weights:
>
>> John Hanson wrote:
>>> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
>>> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
>>> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
>>> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
>>> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
>>> of front squats.
>>>
>>> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
>>> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
>>> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
>>> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
>>> injuries further.
>>>
>>> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
>>> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
>>> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
>>> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
>>> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
>>> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
>>> finish up.
>>>
>>> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
>>> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
>>> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
>>> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

>> Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)
>>

> Hehe

It's posts like this that keep this old fart pushing on. Not that I can
lift at these weights but the inspiration from posts like this (and
others like Keith etc, etc.) that make are gems in the cesspool of this NG.

--
Bob Volkmer

In article <[email protected]>,
John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:

> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
> of front squats.
>
> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
> injuries further.
>
> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
> finish up.
>
> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

Good luck, John!

The conservative approach seems to be working. Be careful with the belt
- they work by rebounding against the rib cage and thigh. Could
aggravate the ribs.

--
Keith

"John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
> of front squats.
>
> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
> injuries further.
>
> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
> finish up.
>
> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

Glad to hear your making your way back, John. When the going gets
tough, the tough lift.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:55:47 -0600, Hobbes <[email protected]>
wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
>> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
>> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
>> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
>> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
>> of front squats.
>>
>> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
>> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
>> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
>> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
>> injuries further.
>>
>> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
>> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
>> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
>> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
>> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
>> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
>> finish up.
>>
>> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
>> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
>> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
>> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

>Good luck, John!
>
>The conservative approach seems to be working. Be careful with the belt
>- they work by rebounding against the rib cage and thigh. Could
>aggravate the ribs.

Which is why I'm wearing a belt. I figured I needed to practice
wearing one with the lighter weights. I'm wearing it fairly loose and
lower than what I used to do.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:53:56 +1030, rev <[email protected]> wrote in
misc.fitness.weights:

>John Hanson wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:47:18 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
>> misc.fitness.weights:

>>> Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)
>>>

>> Hehe

>It's posts like this that keep this old fart pushing on. Not that I can
>lift at these weights but the inspiration from posts like this (and
>others like Keith etc, etc.) that make are gems in the cesspool of this NG.

Excellent! I did a deep single at 405 with no gear except a belt
tonight that slowed for about a half second at my sticking point on
the way up but I got it for "3 whites". I then did a down set for 5
at 345 which went rather well. Next week I'll put suit bottoms on and
approach 455 depending on the ribs. So far so good except I'm still
around 230. If I weigh in for deadlifts around 226 on Friday I'll be
happy.