The Back is Holding Up

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by John Hanson, Mar 20, 2006.

  1. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    of front squats.

    About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    injuries further.

    Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    finish up.

    So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    Tags:

  2. Dally

    Dally Guest

    John Hanson wrote:
    > For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    > the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    > heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    > pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    > squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    > of front squats.
    >
    > About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    > squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    > started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    > could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    > injuries further.
    >
    > Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    > since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    > light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    > finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    > up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    > back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    > finish up.
    >
    > So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    > single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    > fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    > past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)

    Dally

  3. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:47:18 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >John Hanson wrote:
    >> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    >> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    >> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    >> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    >> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    >> of front squats.
    >>
    >> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    >> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    >> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    >> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    >> injuries further.
    >>
    >> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    >> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    >> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    >> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    >> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    >> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    >> finish up.
    >>
    >> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    >> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    >> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    >> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    >Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)

    Hehe

  4. rev

    rev Guest

    John Hanson wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:47:18 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
    > misc.fitness.weights:
    >
    >> John Hanson wrote:
    >>> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    >>> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    >>> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    >>> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    >>> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    >>> of front squats.
    >>>
    >>> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    >>> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    >>> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    >>> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    >>> injuries further.
    >>>
    >>> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    >>> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    >>> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    >>> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    >>> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    >>> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    >>> finish up.
    >>>
    >>> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    >>> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    >>> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    >>> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    >> Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)
    >>

    > Hehe

    It's posts like this that keep this old fart pushing on. Not that I can
    lift at these weights but the inspiration from posts like this (and
    others like Keith etc, etc.) that make are gems in the cesspool of this NG.

    --
    Bob Volkmer

  5. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    > the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    > heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    > pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    > squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    > of front squats.
    >
    > About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    > squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    > started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    > could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    > injuries further.
    >
    > Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    > since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    > light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    > finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    > up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    > back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    > finish up.
    >
    > So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    > single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    > fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    > past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    Good luck, John!

    The conservative approach seems to be working. Be careful with the belt
    - they work by rebounding against the rib cage and thigh. Could
    aggravate the ribs.

    --
    Keith

  6. "John Hanson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    > the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    > heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    > pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    > squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    > of front squats.
    >
    > About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    > squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    > started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    > could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    > injuries further.
    >
    > Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    > since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    > light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    > finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    > up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    > back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    > finish up.
    >
    > So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    > single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    > fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    > past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    Glad to hear your making your way back, John. When the going gets
    tough, the tough lift.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  7. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:55:47 -0600, Hobbes <[email protected]>
    wrote in misc.fitness.weights:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > John Hanson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> For those of you who know about my back/rib issues that I've had since
    >> the fall of 2003, I thought I'd give you an update. My last really
    >> heavy squat was back in July when I doubled 530 in full gear. My rib
    >> pain became unbearable so I dropped out of the TCO and didn't back
    >> squat again until about the end of last year. Instead, I did a lot
    >> of front squats.
    >>
    >> About 2 months ago, I worked up to 5 sets of 5 at 315 in the back
    >> squat. All were done ATG and with no gear including belt. I then
    >> started over again because although my ribs weren't too hosed up, I
    >> could feel the damaged cartilage and I didn't want to aggravate the
    >> injuries further.
    >>
    >> Well, last week I decided to wear a belt again for the first time
    >> since July. Although I only went up to 355 for a single, it felt
    >> light as hell. I then dropped down to 315 and did two sets of five to
    >> finish out my workout. My ribs were holding up so tonight, I worked
    >> up to a single at 380 with the belt. I sunk it deep and shot right
    >> back up with it. I went down to 330 and did an easy set of five to
    >> finish up.
    >>
    >> So, so far so good. Next week I'll probably go to 400 or 405 for a
    >> single and then put a suit on the following week. These are still
    >> fairly light weights but they are weights that bothered me in the
    >> past. Maybe I'll even have a decent meet in Killeen this year!

    >Good luck, John!
    >
    >The conservative approach seems to be working. Be careful with the belt
    >- they work by rebounding against the rib cage and thigh. Could
    >aggravate the ribs.

    Which is why I'm wearing a belt. I figured I needed to practice
    wearing one with the lighter weights. I'm wearing it fairly loose and
    lower than what I used to do.

  8. John Hanson

    John Hanson Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:53:56 +1030, rev <[email protected]> wrote in
    misc.fitness.weights:

    >John Hanson wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:47:18 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> misc.fitness.weights:

    >>> Good news. It's nice to see an old fogey like you making a recovery. :)
    >>>

    >> Hehe

    >It's posts like this that keep this old fart pushing on. Not that I can
    >lift at these weights but the inspiration from posts like this (and
    >others like Keith etc, etc.) that make are gems in the cesspool of this NG.

    Excellent! I did a deep single at 405 with no gear except a belt
    tonight that slowed for about a half second at my sticking point on
    the way up but I got it for "3 whites". I then did a down set for 5
    at 345 which went rather well. Next week I'll put suit bottoms on and
    approach 455 depending on the ribs. So far so good except I'm still
    around 230. If I weigh in for deadlifts around 226 on Friday I'll be
    happy.