The "Bad Stuff" list.

spasticteapot

Jul 27, 2007
I'm a big fan of caffiene, and energy drinks in general. However, all this carbonated soda is supposed to do nasty things to your bones, so I decided to see if I can find a better solution.

As a preface, I weigh 205 lbs., and have a strong tolerance for stimulants in general. I drink a LOT of espresso during finals week.

The guy at the supplement-store counter gave me a free sample of four capsules (two servings) of something called "Cellucor Extreme Thermal Shock D4". I figured it was pretty safe, seeing as how they give it away. Two days ago, I tried two capsules, and felt caffinated - it has the same amount of caffiene as about for 12oz cans of Mountian Dew, of which I can drink a full liter with no ill effects (not that I do it often!)

Today, I tried the other two, along with a Beef and Bean Burrito from Taco bell. (An old friend was buying lunch, and I could'nt very well refuse.) For the first few hours I felt a little jittery - far more so than the first dose - but otherwise okay.

Then, I went to my excercise class at the gym. (Don't laugh. It's full of 45-year-old-men who can do handstand push-ups.) My heart rate went up to what seemed to be over 300 beats per minute, although upon clocking it again after biking home, it was likely closer to 230 beats per minute.

After getting home, I drank a massive amount of water, and then urinated out as much as I could. I then took a hot bath, and now feel much better.

Anyone else have any examples of stuff to be avoided?

Are you trying to be serious or are you just being a troll?

"Cellucor Extreme Thermal Shock D4"? 230bpm? 300bpm?!

Stop drinking pop, stop eating out -- that is the "bad stuff." You don't need caffeine or any of your other **** to feel "good."

iliveonnitro said:

Stop drinking pop, stop eating out -- that is the "bad stuff." You don't need caffeine or any of your other **** to feel "good."
Let me ask you this: Have you ever met someone who works with computers that wasn't a caffiene addict? It sort of comes with the territory.

Better 290mg of caffiene than four cans of Mountian Dew.

iliveonnitro said:

Couldn't agree more.... Eating "clean" foods and getting rid of all of that toxic **** you've listed will make you feel better than any amount of so called stimulants.

factory61 said:
Couldn't agree more.... Eating "clean" foods and getting rid of all of that toxic **** you've listed will make you feel better than any amount of so called stimulants.

I'll stick with what I can prove in a lab, thanks.

And I'll also stick with my caffiene. It's not much of a workout enhancer, but it's very nice for late-night LANparties and D&D games.

The best source of caffiene is coffee in my opinion. NOTHING else works like coffee with a hint of creamer and sugar. Used to drink black, but that was when i smoked too :( i figure just a little sugar (splenda is better yet!) and some milk/creamer cant hurt ya too much.

I used to be able to drink a few liters of mt. dew a day, but i gave that up.

and as for staying up late, its as over-rated as the computer games you are playing. Go out and bike or something instead of playing childish computer games. And, if your heart rate was really that high, you wouldnt have made it here. TdF riders are hitting 160bpm climbing in the piraneese (uh cant spell :) ) if your heart rate gets really high, its time to consult a doctor and drop ALL caffiene from your diet.

this comes from somone who HAD high blood pressure at age 15 (I am not kidding even for a milisecond on this one, it scared the living **** out of me) im now 25 and blood pressure and heart rate have been good for the past 9 1/2 years :)

factory61 said:
I'd love to see the lab results on a Mountain Dew and Taco Bell diet.
I only eat Taco Bell about once every two weeks. Mountian Dew is no more than twice a week, and it's the diet stuff.

I'd rather have sushi and green tea, but if I bought that every two weeks, I'd have no money for a bike.

mongooseboy said:
and as for staying up late, its as over-rated as the computer games you are playing. Go out and bike or something instead of playing childish computer games.
Hmm. You know, a lot of the same people who play these "childish computer games", or enjoy their weekly game of Dungeons and Dragons, are the same people who wrote the vBulletin software this forum is supported by, and the operating system it runs on.

Write us off as "Childish" if you want, but before you do, head over to the nearest Magic: The Gathering tournament, Star Trek convention, or Gen Con. You'll find people who design MRIs, write software for supercomputers, and deal with mathematics so complex I can't even describe them. Admittedly, you'll also find a lot of people who live in their mother's basements, but to be quite honest, said gamers are generally very nice people nonetheless.

And I can promise you this: The next time you get an MRI, odds are that it's a GE Medical MRI machine, designed in part by the same two guys I played Settlers of Catan with at two A.M. at a recent sci-fi convention. The data will be entered into an Epic Systems database, a company known for programmers with addictions to Red Bull and a penchant for playing far too much Halo.

mongooseboy said:
And, if your heart rate was really that high, you wouldnt have made it here. TdF riders are hitting 160bpm climbing in the piraneese (uh cant spell :) ) if your heart rate gets really high, its time to consult a doctor and drop ALL caffiene from your diet.
230BPM is not a huge deal for short periods of time. This is actually pretty close to the upper levels of "aerobic excercise" for a fat man according to the chart on the wall. While I am not a fat man, 230bpm for a few minutes won't kill me.

Also, on the subject of Splenda - It's nearly harmless. And you get maybe 100mg in a can of soda - that's not much!

spasticteapot said:
230BPM is not a huge deal for short periods of time. This is actually pretty close to the upper levels of "aerobic excercise" for a fat man according to the chart on the wall. While I am not a fat man, 230bpm for a few minutes won't kill me.

Also, on the subject of Splenda - It's nearly harmless. And you get maybe 100mg in a can of soda - that's not much!
Diet pop? Even better, now you'll just have a degenerating skeletal system and cancer to boot.

PS if your HR monitor is reading 230, its a 99.9999% chance of interference as HR software is coded up to 230bpm.

PPS linear algebra/calc3/differential equations/etc isn't that incomprehensible.

I'll respond with a similar story, minus the taco bell and Mountain Dew.

Bought a "thermal metabolizer" from the "health food" store, called Therma Lean, active ingredient is MaHuang.

At the time i was 260lbs, just starting a weigh loss diet and exercise program, thinking the Therma Lean would "help". Took 2 in the morning with breaky, then by 10am, by heart was pounding out of my chest, my hands were shaking, i felt like someone had "plugged me in" to the 220v dryer plug!

Lasted about 1/2 hour.

iliveonnitro said:
Diet pop? Even better, now you'll just have a degenerating skeletal system and cancer to boot.

PS if your HR monitor is reading 230, its a 99.9999% chance of interference as HR software is coded up to 230bpm.

PPS linear algebra/calc3/differential equations/etc isn't that incomprehensible.
HR monitor? I was just timing it with my fingers and a stopwatch.

Also, I'm not referring to calculus 3. I'm referring to what mathematics grad students do - for example, the topology of objects that can't actually exist.

warriorcliff77 said:
I'll respond with a similar story, minus the taco bell and Mountain Dew.

Bought a "thermal metabolizer" from the "health food" store, called Therma Lean, active ingredient is MaHuang.

At the time i was 260lbs, just starting a weigh loss diet and exercise program, thinking the Therma Lean would "help". Took 2 in the morning with breaky, then by 10am, by heart was pounding out of my chest, my hands were shaking, i felt like someone had "plugged me in" to the 220v dryer plug!

Lasted about 1/2 hour.
This is why I posted this thread!

I always thought that Ma Huang was one of those "fluff" ingredients that doesn't do anything. I'll make sure to avoid it in the future.

iliveonnitro said:
Just like how only 3 cigarettes/day are OK as long as you don't smoke a couple packs/day...
So what would you suppose a juvenile diabetic do then, huh? Just put sugar in their coffee?:rolleyes:

Jono L said:
So what would you suppose a juvenile diabetic do then, huh? Just put sugar in their coffee?:rolleyes:
Sure they can put sugar in their coffee, they just need to adjust their insulin dose to allow for it.

This thinking that diabetics must avoid sugar at all costs is quite outdated.

To the OP, sorry, but your diet and lifestyle sound quite unhealthy. Top marks for taking up exercise and trying to get fit/lose weight but you really need to cut down severely on your caffeine intake and stop eating fast foods. The best things you can do for your body is switch to drinking plain water during the day (your kidneys will love you for it) and give up convenience/fast foods and start preparing things from fresh - it is the only way to have control over what goes into your body.

matagi said:
Sure they can put sugar in their coffee, they just need to adjust their insulin dose to allow for it.

This thinking that diabetics must avoid sugar at all costs is quite outdated.
No not at all costs, but having to inject after every coffee would certainly be a pain in the ****.