The Basics of Wheel Alignment and Wheelbuilding

Jose Rizal <_@_._> wrote in message ...

>Just how do you do this, and how do you account for the dynamic loads
>put on the wheel which exceed the static rider/bike weight?

Put water into pan, light gas, place egg in water, bring to boil, turn off
gas.
It would help if questions were more spcific than how do you do this?
specifically which part of my explanation do you think requires further
explanation?
7/5(rider+bike+load) Front wheel loading.
As another answer explains it is a simple matter to tension the wheel a bit
more if the rider finds the wheel wobbly.

>What the hell is "a wheel which will fail safe"?

Will not lock up in the frame due to buckling.

>Since buckling is also load magnitude dependent, "severre" buckling
>cannot be avoided if the load is high enough, and especially since you
>only tensioned the spokes enough to take up your static weight.
>
>> Spoke quality is not an issue.

>Plastic spokes will be fine then.

Steel is an excellent material for bicycle spokes. Plastics are not
renowned for their ability to work in tension and I doubt any plastic could
replace the steel spoke. Aramid fibre of course is exceptionally strong and
may provide an alternative at increased cost.
TJ

On 31 Jul 2004 00:58:09 -0700, Benjamin Weiner
<[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]

>Carl, did you see in the discussion at
>http://yarchive.net/bike/stress_relieve.html
>the article containing this quote and link
>
> "For some results of some actual residual stress measurements I did on
> 7050 aluminum plate before and after stretching see:
> http://www.lanl.gov/residual/alplate.pdf
> The residual stress was reduced by about a factor of 10 by the stress
> relief process."

Dear Benjamin,

Yes, I've seen the thread and looked at the link to the
test. While I can't recall where I read it, others pointed
out a few potential problems.

The test involved a comparatively massive metal slab, about
6 inches square and 3 inches thick, not a spoke about a
tenth of an inch thick. (My naive guess would be that this
size difference wouldn't matter because the flaws are
microscopic, but a materials engineer suggested that it
might.)

The test slab was cut out of a much larger piece that was
"rolled," so it was worked to some degree, but it may not
have been as heavily worked as a bicycle spoke. (This
sounded more plausible to me, but it wouldn't surprise me to
learn that the rolling of the slab worked it just as much or
more as the production of a spoke works a spoke.)

The metal tested was aluminum, not stainless steel. (I know
that the two metals are similar in that neither shows a
yield point on a stress-strain test, but are different in
that aluminum ain't stainless steel. I also know that
aluminum and steel have different fatigue characteristics
when used in frames and that I don't have the slightest
idea whether any of this matters in comparing the aluminum
slab to the stainless steel spoke.)

The question of how much "stretching" was used on the test
slab versus how much "squeeze" (same idea) is used by a
typical bicycle wheel builder was not addressed. The slab
was stretched 1.5% to 3% in the rolling direction, but how
much a spoke is stretched by the squeeze method is unclear.
(My own vague notion is that a good squeeze should stretch a
pair of 300mm spokes that much.)

What the stretching does to the material in terms of final
dimensions was also debated. My naive impression was that
both the stretched test plate and the squeezed spokes are
tensioned only elastically and snap back to their original
length when tension is released--that is, there's no
permanent elongation. However, others have suggested that
releasing any stress involves permanent changes in
dimensions, microscopic or not. Damned if I know the answer.

A final question concerned the quenching of the aluminum
plate (I think that you have to go to the later version of
the test to see this) and whether quenching aluminum creates
far more internal stress than would be found in spokes and
whether such a difference makes any comparison a matter of
apples and oranges. Again, I don't know enough about metals
to even hazard a guess--I have a hazy notion that spokes are
cold worked, not quenched, but whether this matters to
stress is a mystery to me.

None of these objections, as I recall, were meant to cast
any doubt on Mike Prime's aluminum plate test itself, which
was not undertaken to address the stainless steel spoke
question and seems like a reasonable test to bring up. They
were raised to point out that the two situations may differ
in significant ways (and were also raised probably for the
joy of quibbling, not that we ever see any of that on
rec.bicycles.tech).

The trouble is probably that the question of spoke fatigue
is trickier than we'd like it to be. Various explanations
exist, each with fierce partisans, but testing of the kind
that would stand up in a high school physics class seems to
be hard to find, partly because the testing is likely to be
much harder than expected, partly because the subject is
much more complicated than it might seem at first, and
partly because the question is not exactly crucial.

I often wonder whether my wavering on this matter resembles
what I had to endure with people debating who wrote
Shakespeare. I'm not sure who's right about spoke squeezing,
so I long for a site that patiently goes through the details
for the layman in the way that this site explains literary
matters:

http://shakespeareauthorship.com

Unfortunately, not everyone is as helpful as you are, so
questions here on rec.bicycles.tech often degenerate into
mere name-calling instead of explanations. It's not much
good trying to convince a skeptical audience either way on
spoke-squeezing if all that I have is that one person says
that the other is wrong and both claim that their spokes
last forever.

The last person whom I bored to tears about spokes raised an
interesting question. If spoke-squeezing works, either by
relieving stress or by other methods, and makes spokes
practically immortal, how soon should unsqueezed spokes
break? That is, when did I predict that the unsqueezed
spokes would fail?

My muttered "sooner" was dismissed as being a bit imprecise.
I'd mentioned that some spoke squeezers claim over 50,000
miles on failure-free spokes, so my tormentor kept asking me
when he should expect his unsqueezed spokes to fail--1,000
miles, 5,000, 10,000, or even 25,000 miles?

He relented when I promised to pose the question here, so
perhaps someone will speculate on how long the spokes on
what everyone agrees is an otherwise properly built wheel
should last if not squeezed.

Carl Fogel

Trevor Jeffrey <[email protected]> wrote:
> No I do not tension spokes as high as possible. I presume therefore
> that you do and so pre-load the rim so there is a tendency to buckle. There
> is no advantage in pre-loading spokes and rims, it only lessens the load
> capacity of the wheel before buckling.

Oh! I never could have imagined that things were so simple! I guess
all one really has to do is lace the wheel, tighten the nipples enough
to snug up the spokes, and voila: a bicycle wheel with truly tremendous
load capacity! It makes so much sense.

--
Todd Bryan
Santa Barbara, CA

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>> Spoke-squeezing is an intriguingly mysterious subject to
>> research. I remain agnostic, wavering one way and the other,
>> but haven't seen any experimental data or analyses involving
>> bicycle spokes. If you have the 3rd edition, perhaps you
>> could peek at the Wiedemer stuff and give me your thoughts
>> on it?

> you may also want to consider this question:
>
> q: elevator safety certification requires loading the cab to double
> it's "safe working load". this is to test the wire ropes that suspend
> it. the reason is that fracture mechanics predict that this process
> will typically reveal by failure any latent flaws. but, if we extend
> spoke squeezing theory, wouldn't this overload procedure also prevent
> fatigue of elevator cables?
>
> a: no. elevator cables still fatigue and need regular testing,
> inspection & replacement.

This proves nothing one way or the other about the affects
of squeezing spokes to reduce residual stress. There is no
question that reducing residual (tensile) stresses can
increase fatigue life. There is also no question that
spokes (or elevator cables) will still fatigue if the cyclic
load is high enough (i.e. above the endurance limit). The
question is whether squeezing the spokes provides any
significant beneficial reduction in residual stress, or
increases the endurance limit.

Mark McMaster
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote in message ...
>He relented when I promised to pose the question here, so
>perhaps someone will speculate on how long the spokes on
>what everyone agrees is an otherwise properly built wheel
>should last if not squeezed.

It is not possible to everyone to agree on what is a properly built wheel.
I would expect spokes to last longer than it takes to wear out a road rim.
I would expect spokes to last longer than it takes to wear out 100 tyres. I
would expect spokes to last in excess of 500,000 miles with or without
overtensioning on installation.
Steel spokes are cold drawn down to a thin wire which is then annealed,
by passing through hot rollers, to remove the spring. The wire is then cut
to length, the head and thread is formed by cold working and the head
knocked over to form the bend at the end. There is a cold working through
rollers after annealing, most obviously in the form of swaged spokes
(butted).
TJ

"Trevor Jeffrey" <[email protected]> writes:

> [email protected] wrote in message ...
>>He relented when I promised to pose the question here, so perhaps
>>someone will speculate on how long the spokes on what everyone
>>agrees is an otherwise properly built wheel should last if not
>>squeezed.

> It is not possible to everyone to agree on what is a properly built
> wheel. I would expect spokes to last longer than it takes to wear
> out a road rim. I would expect spokes to last longer than it takes
> to wear out 100 tyres. I would expect spokes to last in excess of
> 500,000 miles with or without overtensioning on installation.

You might expect it, and I might too, but plenty of experiences are
reported here that indicate spokes breaking within a few hundred or a
few thousand miles. And there are some reports of tens of thousands
of miles without spoke breakage- thus far most of these seem to be
from people who have used Brandt's method.

> Steel spokes are cold drawn down to a thin wire which is then
> annealed, by passing through hot rollers, to remove the spring. The
> wire is then cut to length, the head and thread is formed by cold
> working and the head knocked over to form the bend at the end.

This is the issue that Brandt claims his "stress relieving" procedure
addresses. He states there are residual stresses in the spoke at the
bend from the forming of the elbow. Stress relieving raises the
tension and causes cold setting, relieving those stresses. This in
turn results in spokes that last longer.

> There is a cold working through rollers after annealing, most
> obviously in the form of swaged spokes (butted). TJ

ISTR some spokes- DT Revolutions perhaps?- that had mid-shaft spoke
breakages because the swaging created an internal crack along the axis
of the spoke.

"Trevor Jeffrey" <[email protected]> writes:

> The use of a drying oil assists in the tensioning of spokes and the
> prevention of the nipples unwinding in use.

In other words. it acts as a glue between the spoke and the nipple.
Wheelsmith sells a preparation that does a simiar thing, Spoke Prep.
Linseed oil is cheaper by orders of magnitude. I use 10w-30 motor
oil. My spoke nipples do not unwind in use, despite being 215 lbs and
riding 32 spoke wheels 6,000 to 7,000 miles a year. The reason for
this is not using something to glue the nipples and spokes together,
but using adeqate tension in the first place. Stuff like linseed oil
and Spoke Prep just covers for a badly built wheel.

Hmmm, this conversation seems like old times.

Mark McMaster wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Spoke-squeezing is an intriguingly mysterious subject to
>>> research. I remain agnostic, wavering one way and the other,
>>> but haven't seen any experimental data or analyses involving
>>> bicycle spokes. If you have the 3rd edition, perhaps you
>>> could peek at the Wiedemer stuff and give me your thoughts
>>> on it?

>> you may also want to consider this question:
>>
>> q: elevator safety certification requires loading the cab to double
>> it's "safe working load". this is to test the wire ropes that suspend
>> it. the reason is that fracture mechanics predict that this process
>> will typically reveal by failure any latent flaws. but, if we extend
>> spoke squeezing theory, wouldn't this overload procedure also prevent
>> fatigue of elevator cables?
>>
>> a: no. elevator cables still fatigue and need regular testing,
>> inspection & replacement.

> This proves nothing one way or the other about the affects of squeezing
> spokes to reduce residual stress. There is no question that reducing
> residual (tensile) stresses can increase fatigue life. There is also no
> question that spokes (or elevator cables) will still fatigue if the
> cyclic load is high enough (i.e. above the endurance limit). The
> question is whether squeezing the spokes provides any significant
> beneficial reduction in residual stress, or increases the endurance limit.
>
> Mark McMaster
> [email protected]

ah, this explains everything! stainless steel has been developed that
has an endurance limit! and it's used in bicycle spokes!!!

no. this is one of the fundamental flaws of "the book". it cites
material behavior for mild steel, which /does/ have an endurance limit,
and then presumes to describe behavior in stanless steel, which does
not. just exactly how this lends credibility to a revolutionary means
of eliminating metal fatigue is something i have yet to come to terms with.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> "Trevor Jeffrey" <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>[email protected] wrote in message ...
>>
>>>He relented when I promised to pose the question here, so perhaps
>>>someone will speculate on how long the spokes on what everyone
>>>agrees is an otherwise properly built wheel should last if not
>>>squeezed.

>>It is not possible to everyone to agree on what is a properly built
>>wheel. I would expect spokes to last longer than it takes to wear
>>out a road rim. I would expect spokes to last longer than it takes
>>to wear out 100 tyres. I would expect spokes to last in excess of
>>500,000 miles with or without overtensioning on installation.

> You might expect it, and I might too, but plenty of experiences are
> reported here that indicate spokes breaking within a few hundred or a
> few thousand miles. And there are some reports of tens of thousands
> of miles without spoke breakage- thus far most of these seem to be
> from people who have used Brandt's method.
>

>>Steel spokes are cold drawn down to a thin wire which is then
>>annealed, by passing through hot rollers, to remove the spring. The
>>wire is then cut to length, the head and thread is formed by cold
>>working and the head knocked over to form the bend at the end.

> This is the issue that Brandt claims his "stress relieving" procedure
> addresses. He states there are residual stresses in the spoke at the
> bend from the forming of the elbow. Stress relieving raises the
> tension and causes cold setting, relieving those stresses. This in
> turn results in spokes that last longer.

yes, but brandt also advocates "correcting the spoke line" which
involves deformation significantly above that required to stress
relieve, and indeed may leave the material with even more residual
stress than it had initially. now add to that the fact that that spoke
wire is a highly cold worked material with a very high dislocation
density [and therefore full of lattice stresses] in which any further
deformation is likely to increase dislocation density rather than reduce
it, and it becomes clear that brandt really doesn't know what he's
talking about. how else could he cite mild steel deformation
characteristics in a stainless steel application, as he does in his book?

jim beam wrote:

> tim, you're like a drunken finnean looking for a bit of bare-knucked
> sport on his way home from a bar. read what i said when you're sober,
> then show me one single piece of metallurgical evidence to support
> brandts bullying assertions. or your allusions to superior mental
> health come to that.

Speaking of mental health, do you have an irrational fear of capital
letters?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

You would think that the spoke manufacturers would have some sort of
opinion regarding "stress relieving", and would make that known. They
don't want their spokes to bread while in service more than anyone
else.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:19:11 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Prove him wrong. Put
>up or shut up. Frankly, jim beam old buddy old pal, I don't think you
>have the stuff.

I think you are on the right track but good science doesn't work that
way. The hypothesis needs to be proven.

[email protected] wrote:

> None of these objections, as I recall, were meant to cast
> any doubt on Mike Prime's aluminum plate test itself, which
> was not undertaken to address the stainless steel spoke
> question and seems like a reasonable test to bring up. They
> were raised to point out that the two situations may differ
> in significant ways (and were also raised probably for the
> joy of quibbling, not that we ever see any of that on
> rec.bicycles.tech).

Sure they differ. It does show that the metallurgical phenomenon
exists and is not just something Jobst made up without justification,
which is what some people seem to be arguing.

Unless you can get someone to do tests on actual spokes
that's probably as good as you can get. I don't know what
tests would prove it conclusively, perhaps sectioning and
electron micrography. There are a variety of materials tests
for flaws and stress cracks which I am no expert on, but
most of them are probably designed for much bigger pieces
than a spoke (I suspect eddy current testing is like that).

> I often wonder whether my wavering on this matter resembles
> what I had to endure with people debating who wrote
> Shakespeare. I'm not sure who's right about spoke squeezing,
> so I long for a site that patiently goes through the details
> for the layman in the way that this site explains literary
> matters:

> http://shakespeareauthorship.com

I think, even if there were workable tests, if someone tried to
write such a document it would have to teach the reader basic
physics, metallurgy, and mechanical engineering. At least
with Shakespeare, most readers understand the basics like
dates, tenses and handwriting, even if they don't know the
detailed issues about Elizabethan manuscripts, printing, and
the social position of playwrights.

Even so, I'm sure there is an Oxfordian site somewhere that tries
to refute all the arguments on shakespeareauthorship.com. To your
trained eyes, its arguments are transparently blowing smoke,
but to a layman's, it may not be so. I see similar things happening
here on r.b.tech when people talk about spokes.

> The last person whom I bored to tears about spokes raised an
> interesting question. If spoke-squeezing works, either by
> relieving stress or by other methods, and makes spokes
> practically immortal, how soon should unsqueezed spokes
> break? That is, when did I predict that the unsqueezed
> spokes would fail?

> My muttered "sooner" was dismissed as being a bit imprecise.
> I'd mentioned that some spoke squeezers claim over 50,000
> miles on failure-free spokes, so my tormentor kept asking me
> when he should expect his unsqueezed spokes to fail--1,000
> miles, 5,000, 10,000, or even 25,000 miles?

> He relented when I promised to pose the question here, so
> perhaps someone will speculate on how long the spokes on
> what everyone agrees is an otherwise properly built wheel
> should last if not squeezed.

It's completely unanswerable as is, because we don't know
anything about the use of the wheel - the weight of the rider,
on-road or off-road, rough pavement? I wouldn't trust any
answer that tried to derive this from first principles.
If the use is light enough and the build was fairly good
apart from squeezing, maybe the wheel won't break. I am not
a professional wheelbuilder so I don't have enough base
knowledge to tell you.

However, there is a substantial weight of experience. It is
very common to see posts in r.b.tech from people who are
breaking spokes on stock wheels on new bikes. Most new
good-quality bikes these days use stainless steel spokes that
are strong enough for the job. The likely suspect is an
inadequate wheelbuild. I don't have much idea how this
translates into mileage, but when people break a lot of
spokes in their wheels, I think it happens early. If a
wheel survives 10,000 miles, it isn't going to break half
the spokes at 11,000.

JB may say he corrects the spoke line, and then leaves the most
important diversion, at the spoke crossing, to take care of itself. The
pre-shaping of the crossing point before spoke tensioning is the most
beneficial time spent in the construction of a wheel. It also saves on
component cost as the cheapest available parts may be used with success.
Over tensioning to correct spoke line stinks. All it is, is pre-loading.
Brandt advocates ought to apply the same logic to bridge building,
preloading to just under the point of collapse, and then think. There is
no argument that bicycle wheels are a special circumstance, the bicycle is
what brought along much of 19&20C engineering.
Wheels are made of metal with their rims in compression and spokes in
tension. Increase spoke tension and rim compression increases. Increase
load on bicycle and rim commpression increases. There is a maximum
compressive force that each rim can sustain without lateral support.
Pre-loading rims therefore is unacceptable. The potential consequences of a
buckled wheel compared to the loss of function of one spoke are too great on
my planet.
The reason why "stress releiving" results in a lower spoke failure is
that it will partially correct the bend of the spoke at the crossing. Much
better to specifically aim for this result. If the deviation at the
crossing is not made, the crossing point will move in and out relative to
the hub as the loaded wheel is rotated. This causes the fatigue failure of
the spoke at the hub so often reported.
If the preforming of the spoke at it's crossing is performed, the risk
of spoke loss due to fatigue failure is less than the method of
overtensioning. the MTBF is greater. Wheelbuilding is simpler, easier and
less stressfull. No rim failures is construction or on the road. Lateral
stability is improved with lower tension. The spokes act as the tensile
members the are designed to be and not as springs.
The smaller the angular deviation of the crossing the more likely you
are to get away with not pre-forming the spoke. This would explain the
popularity of x3 and x4 on a front wheel and also the use of large flange
hubs. Each of these methods can reduce the angular displacement at the
crossing so lessening the repeated bending of the spoke at the hub. My
preferred method of construction is uibtable for all rims and standard
spokes.
TJ

Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

> ...No rim failures is construction or on the road....

Huh?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>Trevor Jeffrey wrote:
>
>> ...No rim failures is construction or on the road....

>Huh?

I notice reports that rims have 'tacoed' during construction and in use. I
believe this is to avoid the term buckled (a form of failure).
TJ

Trevor Jeffrey wrote:

> Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email protected]>...
>
>>Trevor Jeffrey wrote:
>>

>>>...No rim failures is construction or on the road....

>>Huh?

> I notice reports that rims have 'tacoed' during construction and in use. I
> believe this is to avoid the term buckled (a form of failure).

So the above should have read, "No rim failures IN construction or on
the road"?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Tom Sherman wrote in message <[email protected]>...

>>>Huh?

>> I notice reports that rims have 'tacoed' during construction and in use.

>> believe this is to avoid the term buckled (a form of failure).

>So the above should have read, "No rim failures IN construction or on
>the road"?

Yes, seems a bit of a wild mistype must be a comp. glitch.
Thank you.
TJ

Tim McNamara wrote in message ...

>oil. My spoke nipples do not unwind in use, despite being 215 lbs and
>riding 32 spoke wheels 6,000 to 7,000 miles a year. The reason for
>this is not using something to glue the nipples and spokes together,
>but using adeqate tension in the first place. Stuff like linseed oil
>and Spoke Prep just covers for a badly built wheel.
>
>Hmmm, this conversation seems like old times.

The use of any oil will assist in the prevention of a nipple shaking
loose, a drying oil just happens to be the most successful in this
application, i.e. a wheel not overtensioned. The wheel construction is how
I describe and not what you ride. Your conversation is repeated because you
do not appear to take on board what I have wrote. Adequate tension is
accomplished when the wheel remains laterally stable under load. Further
tension unnecessarily reduces the available load capacity of the rim and so
of the wheel.
TJ

Benjamin Weiner wrote:
> [...]

> on-road or off-road, rough pavement? I wouldn't trust any
> answer that tried to derive this from first principles.
> If the use is light enough and the build was fairly good
> apart from squeezing, maybe the wheel won't break. I am not
> a professional wheelbuilder so I don't have enough base
> knowledge to tell you.
>
> However, there is a substantial weight of experience. It is
> very common to see posts in r.b.tech from people who are
> breaking spokes on stock wheels on new bikes. Most new
> good-quality bikes these days use stainless steel spokes that
> are strong enough for the job. The likely suspect is an
> inadequate wheelbuild. I don't have much idea how this
> translates into mileage, but when people break a lot of
> spokes in their wheels, I think it happens early. If a
> wheel survives 10,000 miles, it isn't going to break half

you raise some very interesting points.

first is, does stress relief exist? yes, but the /real/ question is
whether it's relevant to this application. jobst clearly didn't make it
up, but he doesn't seem to understand it either. just like he used the
phenomenon of elastohydrodynamic separation as an explanation of why
headsets brinelled and hubs didn't. fact is, e.h.d.s. is not operative
in hubs at normal roads speeds, but his apparent ignorance of that fact
didn't stop him bullying folks here about it for years. similarly, he
explained stress relief in terms of deformation without work hardening,
a phenomenon that is present in mild steels, and cites such material
behavior in his book. unfortunately, that phenomenon is not known to
exist in stainless steels. perhaps that's why he doesn't understand why
the first stress/strain graph shown in his book is incorrect. the fact
that that graph is not replicated in the "real world" stress/strain
graphs he obtains from actual spoke testing as shown in the back of his
book does not appear to have registered.

second is fatigue testing. "the book" sets out a number of topics, and
proceeds to explore them in a number of ways. his tied & soldered
spokes testing is an example of where he has actually done quantitative
testing and publishes results. his "stress relief" theory on the other
hand is entirely subjective, amounting to "i say it works". he offers
no quantitative substantiation for that claim whatsoever. sure,
pointing at the phenomenon of metallurgical stress relief may sound
plausible, but his kind of usage is not anything i've ever seen cited in
literature for this kind of application. it would make millions of man
hours of research into fatigue over the last 100+ years irrelevant if
all we had to do was give a component a quick tweak in order to give it
infinite fatigue life characteristics. the coincidence of his theory
appearing at about the same time as real world materials advances like
vacuum degassed stainless steels becoming available in quantity is not
something lost on jobst. he even alludes to their existence in his
book, but tellingly fails to pursue their relevance or importance.

third, and related to the above, is spoke brand. this is most
definitely relevant. i have a large collection of broken spokes
collected from various wheels of friends and acquaintances over the last
few years. with the exception of those that have been physically
damaged thereby initiating fatigue at this point, they are all "unknown"
brands. in a highly competitive market, saving even a couple of bucks
on some no-name spokes on stock wheels where no one knows or cares what
they are is going to help profitability. the usual explanation here on
r.b.t. is that these wheels were "not stress relieved". failure to see
the relevance of the material quality employed in building that wheel
may not be convenient to "the theory", but it sure is a substantial blow
to credibility.

lastly, you mention early failures. this is actually consistent with a
lot of real world fatigue applications, automotive gearboxes being
another example. it's often called "the bath tub curve", where the
probability of failure starts comparatively high, rapidly drops, then
after an extended period, starts to climb again so the line on the graph
is a long shallow "u" like a bath tub. if the component can get through
the first few hours of use, its probability of survival increase
substantially. indeed, a lot of s/n curves show scatter at the low
cycle end of the graph for this reason and very low cycle failures are
often ignored.