The battle for 3rd place

serpico7

Sep 18, 2006
With only one more stage (stage 20, ending with Mont Ventoux) likely to impact the podium, Contador and A.Schleck seem secure in 1st and 2nd place, as they are the two best climbers and have large leads over the rest. It seems to me that 3rd place is up for grabs.

1. Contador
2. A.Schleck, +4:11
3. Armstrong, +5:25
4. Wiggins, +5:36
5. Kloden, +5:38
6. F.Schleck, +5:59

4 riders separated by 34 seconds. Who do you think takes it? Will Kloden have to ride to protect Armstrong?

I think it comes down to how much LA ha in his legs for Ventoux. He's got the advantage (experience) over Wiggins and has already dropped him on climbs but LA didn't look comfortable in the ITT so who knows what thats taken out of him. Its all for Wiggins to play for and LA is supremely good at tactics.

With any luck, the entire top ten will ride off the side of the ******* mountain on the descent.

It would open things up. Cadel and his phlegm still wouldn't have a hope this year though.

nonns said:
I think it comes down to how much LA ha in his legs for Ventoux. He's got the advantage (experience) over Wiggins and has already dropped him on climbs but LA didn't look comfortable in the ITT so who knows what thats taken out of him. Its all for Wiggins to play for and LA is supremely good at tactics.

Well, the opposite is true as well. On the Verbier, LA was behind Frank, Wiggins and Kloden.

I wouldn't completely rule out Nibali yet. He might still climb on GC a few spots.

Anyway, my money is on Frank. I almost hope Bertie to attack and drag Frank with him just to see some heads explode. :D