The beginning of the End

Dfreak

Oct 6, 2007
I'm done being fat 275lbs, 125kg. Just picked up a Schwinn Sidewinder from walmart to start working out and work up to a (road bike)commuter in the future... On clearance for $50, I couldn't justify dropping $700 yet as we are looking at getting a house among other debts we still have from school. But, I figured it would be best to re-learn on something I can destroy and not feel too bad about it :D rather than snap something off a higher end bike.

I used to ride a bicycle to high school, then got a motorcycle to ride through college as I had a 60 mile one way commute a few times a week so a bike wouldn't cut it and hey motorcycles are fun too :D. Anywhoo after I brought the bike home tonight I figured I'd take it for a quick spin around the apartment complex.... and wow. They say you never forget how to ride a bike but man I got kinda scared for a little bit. Its probably because when riding a motorcycle you've got 500lbs underneath you and its pretty darn stable, but a 30-40lb bicycle is pretty twitchy. Not to mention the genius at Walmart had the front tread going backwards :rolleyes:, shifter wasn't adjusted right :rolleyes:, bar ends were loose, low air in tires....but at $50 I cant complain too much (retailed for $140)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4029278

Time to get all the other toys now. :)

Excellent. Good for you that you made the decision.

Now, for the time being, ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike. As often as possible, as long as possible and as many days a week as possible. You will soon see gradual improvements and it will steadily become more fun.

Watch what you eat, eliminate sugars, carbonated drinks, junk food, and limit alcohol.

And see a doctor before you begin your new exercise regimen!

Good luck! You'll probably become an addict like many of us here. There are many people here who started in a similar fashion. Welcome to the fold.

threaded said:
Yes, spandex. You need to buy spandex! :D
I think me + spandex would look like um....an overstuffed sausage. :D Soon though. The last time my wife and I did a diet we lost about 10lbs each over 2 months, but this was with very little excersise (southbeach) that was not fun at all... This way I'll get outside (stationary bikes are too boring for me to keep up a workout routine) and after we move I can start commuting to work.

Thanks for the encouragement from everyone!:)

Powerful Pete said:
Excellent. Good for you that you made the decision.

Now, for the time being, ride your bike, ride your bike, ride your bike. As often as possible, as long as possible and as many days a week as possible. You will soon see gradual improvements and it will steadily become more fun.

Watch what you eat, eliminate sugars, carbonated drinks, junk food, and limit alcohol.

And see a doctor before you begin your new exercise regimen!
+1, but don't fatigue yourself, I did that once, not fun...